The Most Haunted Places In Every Us State

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betslygee:

I went to the Winchester House years ago and I loved it. After that I had nightmares about Mrs. Winchester chasing me through the house in the dark. They would scare the hack out of me.
Muffy

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Betslygee:

I went to the Winchester House years ago and I loved it. After that I had nightmares about Mrs. Winchester chasing me through the house in the dark. They would scare the hack out of me.
Muffy
:eek2:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Believe it or not, these are just a few of the shenanigans Harrigan has pulled over the last about 25 years.

So, do you believe in him or not?
You did say that you don't believe in ghosts, but after all of that, it sounds as if you WON'T believe in ghosts! It also sounds very much as if they believe in you!!!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I signed up for a tour of the Winchester House this coming Sunday. :hyper: Should be interesting.

Mother Dragon Mother Dragon You are a wonderful story teller! :clap: :agree: Why did you name your poltergeist Harrigan? :think:
We named him Harrigan when he played his first prank. We'd just heard George M. Cohan's song, "Harrigan. That's me!" and my husband said, "That must be who did it." And it stuck.

Our house isn't built on a cemetery or burial ground and we're the first occupants. The area is old dairy farms. I know it's not my late mother because all she'd do would be to straighten things up.

Harrigan seems to have had a change of heart about some of his pranks. When we gave my soulmate, Feather, peace, she wore her collar. When we went to bury her, it was gone. The vet doesn't remove the collar unless requested. We buried her without her collar. A few months later, Robert's soulmate, Habanero, seemed to have grieved herself to death. We gave her peace the same way. When it was over, she had her collar on. As we brought her home, we happened to open the console on the SUV to look for something. Buried down in the bottom under a great deal of stuff that hadn't been disturbed in a long time was Feather's collar. We buried it when we buried Habanero in a shared grave.

On another occasion, we removed all three cats' (Chocolate, Darwin, and Velcro) collars and linked them together (they fasten with Velcro) when we applied flea drops. We put them in the place we always put them. When we got the collars out to put them back on, Velcro's was missing. The others were still looped together. I ordered him a new Beastie Bands collar and Boomerang tag and we put them on him. Then, a few days later, alongside the bed on my side, far from where it had been placed, we found his old collar, still looped.

One night after he ranked up in karate, Robert was getting ready to load all his weapons into the car. Someone pointed out his keys on the table and he stuck them in his waistband because he didn’t have any pockets. (Yes, it was a dumb idea but he was only going about 50’.) He loaded everything into the car, including my scooter and we headed home. When we got home, he got ready to unlock the front door and discovered his keys were missing. We drove all the way back to the parking lot and searched thoroughly with no results. We combed the car and the driveway, sidewalk, and grass. No keys. The keyring had our name and phone number on it, but I suspect they fell onto the bumper and then onto the freeway. Harrigan was snickering.

Friday morning we searched again with not a key to be found. I was quietly having fits because, like most people, we have enough keys on our rings to fill a locksmith shop. Not only would we have to replace everything, but we’d have to remember what was missing. My head ached. Then Robert told me this particular chain only had a car key and a house key on it and we had extras in the safe. I heaved a big sigh of relief. Harrigan deflated - for a moment. Robert went to the safe and found the house key and two keys for the red car but none for the new gray one. Harrigan was slapping his knee and guffawing in triumph.

Tomball Ford is just a couple of miles away so we thought we’d stop by and get a couple of keys. Robert went in to buy them so we could program them ourselves. Since we had only one key they had to do something to the new keys. It took two hours during which they tried to sell us a new air filter. We declined. Also, since we had only one key, they had to program the new ones. Heed my warning. If you have one of those keys that does everything from opening the doors to the tailgate, guard it with your life. That key is made of pure gold. Two keys cost us $300, plus another $100 for programming them! Harrigan was on the floor, gasping and holding his sides. He knows he’s safe because we can’t afford the matches to light the sage. We’re contemplating buying skateboards for transportation.

A few days and dollars later, while Robert was taking his karate weapons out of their cases and rehanging them on the wall, he saw something stuffed into the very bottom of one case. It was, of course, his keys. As is Harrigan's MO, they appeared where they could not possibly been put. The case had been firmly zipped closed Thursday night when Robert carried it out and used the key to open the back of the car. The case was still firmly zipped when he brought it into the house. It held no keys when he emptied it to search for the keys Thursday night. He rezipped it after searching it.
Yet, now there were the keys. Harrigan slapped his knee and guffawed.

I guess Harrigan is upset with all my talking about him. My 18 month old Timex watch with the 10-year guaranteed battery just died. Who keeps the receipt for a cheap watch for very long? Of course, I didn't. I wonder if Harrigan, who rolled over and went to sleep while I was telling these stories, is going to accompany me to get a new one?

One thing I can say isle around here is never dull!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
You did say that you don't believe in ghosts, but after all of that, it sounds as if you WON'T believe in ghosts! It also sounds very much as if they believe in you!!!
I wonder why? I've never been a believer or had other experiences. What did I do to deserve him? :dunno:

Strangely, he usually doesn't do much on Halloween.

I added a few more of his tricks to the thread. There are dozens more untold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love hearing about Harrigan. It almost (almost) makes me wish we had a Harrigan of our own. Almost.

I agree with margecat margecat for Gettysburg for PA.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to live VERY close to Chickamauga Battlefield. VERY strange stuff happened there, day or night.

I added a few more of his tricks to the thread. There are dozens more untold.
We really should start a "Do You Have Ghosts" thread! I LOVE Harrigan!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words about Harrigan. I was afraid I'd told you more than you ever wanted to know about him. Everything I wrote is true, too.

I've tried telling him it's OK to go wherever he's supposed to go. I've tried to get him to communicate with me. I've held one-sided conversations with him. I've tried to find out who or what he is. I think I mightily insulted him when I asked him if he were my mother. I was sure the answer was that in no way was he ever going to resemble my mother, but I had to try. If he were my mother, he would be tidying things instead of making messes.

I bought the breakfast area table where so much of his mischief occurs secondhand from some college girls, but he was around long before that. We paid $75 for the table and six chairs. The cost to replace the exploded top was $900. I would have loved to take it out of his hide - if he has one.

If you folks are really interested in knowing more, let me know and I'll try to find my diary of his shenanigans. It's pretty lengthy. Probably the worst was the freezer. It may have even beaten out the exploding table. But that's another story.

If anyone of you, including you, Winchester, really want him, you're welcome to him. Just be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I doubt I'll ever get tired of Harrigan. I have a few house-ghosts, myself. Well...One, I am convinced, is a part of my family from way back, and two are pussycats. The actual "house-ghost" remained behind when I moved from my old apartment. I actually went out of my way to make sure the cats came with me, but there is a limit, and I left Miss Ida Mae there.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I first started seeing Miss Ida Mae about a month after I moved into my old apartment here. She really didn't bother much at all, but she was VERY visible, looked as solid as you or I (and BOY am I solid). She is a tiny old woman with white hair that she wears in a bun. Likes to flit down the short hallway and around in the bedroom. Occasionally I'd get a glimpse of her in the kitchen, as well. I did speak with someone who knows the complex from way, way back, and he told me that an elderly woman did, indeed, die of natural causes in one of the apartments in that building, but he wasn't sure which one. He recalled that she had a very old-fashioned name, "Something" Mae, and "Ida" just seemed to fit.

Now, I do have a spirit who has followed me around for the past 30 years. I'm almost certain that he is one of my ancestors, a few generations back. Most people who spend a good amount of time with me at home have experienced him to some degree or another. He moves things, causes lights to flicker, is very occasionally seen, likes to prank people who state things like, "that's stupid. Ghosts DO NOT exist!" It's like a challenge to him. LOL, several folks have left my home with a new outlook on the paranormal, thanks to David (no, I don't know his real name).

My favorites, but don't tell David, are the cats. They curl up in bed with Hekitty and me at night, and they play with Hek when they are in the mood. And it is so very obvious that Hekitty is playing with a cat that you just can't see when they do!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I first started seeing Miss Ida Mae about a month after I moved into my old apartment here. She really didn't bother much at all, but she was VERY visible, looked as solid as you or I (and BOY am I solid). She is a tiny old woman with white hair that she wears in a bun. Likes to flit down the short hallway and around in the bedroom. Occasionally I'd get a glimpse of her in the kitchen, as well. I did speak with someone who knows the complex from way, way back, and he told me that an elderly woman did, indeed, die of natural causes in one of the apartments in that building, but he wasn't sure which one. He recalled that she had a very old-fashioned name, "Something" Mae, and "Ida" just seemed to fit.

Now, I do have a spirit who has followed me around for the past 30 years. I'm almost certain that he is one of my ancestors, a few generations back. Most people who spend a good amount of time with me at home have experienced him to some degree or another. He moves things, causes lights to flicker, is very occasionally seen, likes to prank people who state things like, "that's stupid. Ghosts DO NOT exist!" It's like a challenge to him. LOL, several folks have left my home with a new outlook on the paranormal, thanks to David (no, I don't know his real name).

My favorites, but don't tell David, are the cats. They curl up in bed with Hekitty and me at night, and they play with Hek when they are in the mood. And it is so very obvious that Hekitty is playing with a cat that you just can't see when they do!
You write really well.

I'm glad I'm not alone with an invisible houseguest. I've never seen Harrigan, just the stuff he does. That's quite enough. I do sometimes feel a cat brush against me or jump on the bed when there's no living cat around. The current cats don't seem to see anything, though.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps it is a cat that they know very well, and they just don't react to it?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father passed away at home. My sister has seen orbs in her room. My mother has heard heavy footsteps come in the front door and go downstairs and no one was there. Her Boston Terrier would even run to the door and bark when that happened. She has also had her living room light come off and on during the night. She even called the police a couple times because she thought someone broke into the house. My bedroom was downstairs and one morning I heard the water in the kitchen come on. When it kept running I went upstairs and no one was around and the water in the sink was just getting ready to run over the top.

That is all I got. I had 8 cats that I lived with but they never came back to visit with
me.
Ellen

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps it is a cat that they know very well, and they just don't react to it?
The only cat Darwin and Chocolate would know was Habanero. She was already blind when they came and the three hated one another with a passion. Velcro didn't know her because he came later. I don't think any of our other cats would have been friendly with these three.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A strange cat that they don't feel threatened by, perhaps. Hekitty never minded either of mine, for some reason, and she is NOT a fan of other cats. I guess the absence of scent might have something to do with it. But if it's spirits, we're all guessing anyhow.

muffy muffy , it sounds like you have a very active house!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamany1953:

My father died in 1972 and that stuff happened in the 1970's. My mother moved from that house in 1991.
My mother passed away 2 years ago. When she would get mad she would tell my brother and sister that she was going to come back and haunt them when she died but she never did. She never told me that. She didn't care much for me.

Ellen