The Mackerel Update Thread. :3

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry to hear the news!
: to you and Mack. She is just such a darling and I can imagine the pain you are going through while taking this decision. Mack knows that she is very loved and how much you did for her. Just keep on showing her love (which you obviously have) and know that once she crosses the rainbow bridge she will be fine and healthy again.
Cannot write much more through the tears but know that you and Mack are in so many of our thoughts and prayers! Do post some pictures of her - she is such a darling
and it is always pleasure seeing her looking at the camera with those gorgeous eyes.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet Mackerel. May God give you the strength and wisdom to come to a decision.

As always, I will be praying for you two.

God Bless.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Often, right before a kitty signals she is ready to go, she has a good day like you reported yesterday. They use up their last reserves to show their loved ones that we have made them happy and loved.

My thoughts are with you and Mackerel, she has touched all our hearts and there is not one of us who will not be grieving with you.

Love and hugs from me and mine.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just so heartbreaking. So very sad.

You've been so strong and tried so hard to save her. And she's tried so hard to stay with you. It's an awful end to the touching story of you and Mackerel.

No one but you and her can know when it is time to let her go. When it is time, it is the most loving thing to do.

But you know all that. I wish I could say something that would help.

My thoughts are with both of you.

Robin

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We know from the very start that these little furry arrows that fly straight into our hearts will not outlive us.
But it just never seems fair when they're called so young to the bridge.
She's so lucky to have you as a meowmy, and you've been so blessed to have Mack as your baby.
She's been an amazing little girl, and you've been so strong for her!

Know you're both surrounded by love.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my dear Mack... know that you are loved by so many, all over this mighty World...

Vibes for both
Mom, thousand of hugs and calming thoughts

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My heart aches for you as you go through this very difficult time. You have been the most loving, courageous, caring meowmy Mack could have had. And she knows how much you have fought for her during her illness. It is so very painful to say goodbye and my thoughts and prayers are with you and Mack today. Mack is one of the strongest kitties there are and she put up quite the fight. So sorry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. It's 1:45 am now, Mackerel and I just got back from a walk around the park. Anyone following will remember that this is what we did last time I got this news and had to make an appointment for a home euthanasia... she was much stronger this time and far more determined to go and "play" with the ducks, but when she got the idea that she was purely spectating tonight she settled down on my lap and we watched the lake by moonlight for a while. It was lovely, and my Mackerel enjoyed herself and we're back home now absolutely buggered and heading to bed.

Mackerel's still happy I think but it's definitely time- I think she's feeling nauseous now, she's thrown up a couple of times, and she's definitely uncomfortable/in pain when she's picked up or moved anywhere.

So, with that in mind, I think tomorrow morning I'll call the vet and arrange for him to come to my home and put Mackerel to sleep.

My friend K sent me this poem a few hours ago, I think it's beautiful and it's really helped ease my mind a bit.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years
Dont let your heart hold any tears
I'm not sure I'll sign on tomorrow morning.. Before, but I'll log in sometime over the next couple of days and let you all know how it went and maybe upload some pictures of where we laid her to rest if you're interested. I'm going to plant a tree over her resting place - I'm thinking something with lots of branches low to the ground, because she always had trouble climbing anything with a straight trunk!

I'm also going to bury her with a bottle filled with a letter and poems, I've written a few poems about her, and I think I'll write a letter tomorrow. I really like the idea of a future archaeologist (I'm studying to be an archaeologist) discovering her grave... with lots of letters and poems to tell them all about her.

Few. Sorry about the wall of text guys. I'm.. feeling a little emotional. Speaking to you all about what I'm thinking really helps, even if it's a bit silly to go into this much detail.

Actually, while I'm writing such a long post anyway I just want to thank you all for being such a huge font of strength and inspiration and sanity for me. Otto, Feral, Carolina, LDG, Calvin, MoM, My4LLMA, Bastet, Libby, CatBehaviors, BRB, Zoey's Mum, FranktheTank, April, Parker, Klutchetta... I'm tearing up writing this list, I'm so grateful to all of you. Thank you so much. If I left your name off the list I'm so sorry but I'm crying too hard now to keep going, so I'm just going to say again... thank you, all of you, named or not... you've been wonderful.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, Jalindal. There's not too much worse than losing a dear friend. I wish you were close by so I could give you a big hug.

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Words cannot express how sorry I am about little Mack.
I am in tears for you both.
Sending you lots of hugs.
Angie

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear friend, Our hearts are breaking. I have cried with you and rejoiced with you, even though I am thousands of miles away.

Mack and you have brought a group of diverse people together for one goal. To support you and her through this.

And even though this is not the way we envisioned it to end, be proud of sweet Mackerel. Because of her we look to our kitties and hug them tighter. Hold them longer. I know I do.

I have seen that poem, and it is so true. Who better than you? When I loose a kitty, I place a piece of my hair with them and keep a piece of theirs.

God speed sweet Mack. You have touched more hearts than you will know. I am going to go hug my kitties now, thanks to you little one. Rest well.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lump in my throat and I am trying so hard to hold back tears. This little girl has touched so many hearts here. Mine included. I've followed these threads every day, waiting to hear what improvements she has made.

I wish I could take away the pain and sadness you're feeling right now but I can't. What I can do though, is tell you how great you've been to this beautiful kitty. So many people just toss their cats away when they are sick but you've been there for her every second and done all that you possibly could to help her. I know she knows that and loves you as much as you love her.

I will say a prayer for you and send lots of love and vibes your way. I send e-hugs and kisses to Mackerel. I am so sorry.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Sophie, I'm so very, very sorry. I've made that decision myself, and it never gets any easier. The last, best gift you can give Miss Mack is to hold her and let her feel your love. My heart is absolutely breaking for you. If you read these posts before the end, please, please give your lovely girl a gentle hug from me. Both of you will be in my thoughts, and I believe Mackerel will always have a little piece of my heart.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read this sad news, i had truly hoped that her improvement was the sign of improvement, alt sadly not. She has been such a lucky cat to have had such a wonderful owner who has fought so hard for her and now is willing to let her go rather than wait and let her get worse. We are all here for you. X

jan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry too. I don't think I've commented before, but I've been following Mackerel's story from the beginning, even logging on at work (when I shouldn't) to see how she's getting on.

Whenever I've lost a cat it's always been very important to me to feel that I've done everything, followed absolutely every avenue possible to help them. This is obviously important to you too - and no one could have done any more.

I'm sorry. I hope your time left with Mackerel is loving and peaceful. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, I know how much it hurts watching your cat get sick, then having her turn around and seem to be doing better. You get your hopes up, and are so happy. I know how your heart breaks when she takes a turn for the worse, and you know her time with you is coming to an end. The same thing happened to me with Lynxx. You need to know Mackerel knows how much you love her, and she knows you did all you could for her. She's so lucky to have been adopted by you because you gave her such a happy life, and continued taking such good care of her when she got sick. Remember all the good memories you have.