The Mackerel Update Thread. :3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's... a very sweet thought. I'm not really a spiritual person, or religious, but... I like the idea of her being here, hanging out with me a little longer.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

or walking into a room and seeing her out of the corner of my eye... whenever I hear a scratch at the door I think it's her wanting to be let in
I believe she is still there with you.

After Lynxx died I did have a very vivid dream about him. So vivid I know it was real. A couple of times while I was cleaning Luna and Midnight's dishes, I felt a paw touch my ankle. Both times I looked down expecting to see Midnight (he hangs at my feet when I'm doing anything with their dishes) only he wasn't there. He was in the living room with Luna. I believe it was Lynxx.

I have a friend from work who had a favorite cat that died. She said every once in awhile she'll see that cat out of the corner of her eye, in her house, in her car. I do believe her, she's scared to death of supernatural stuff, won't even watch a horror movie. So for her to say this about her cat, she's telling the truth.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sophie, I feel so sorry for all the hurt and pain you're going thru. I'm sending you the biggest cyber-hug right now; I hope you can feel it.

As some of the others have said, if you're 'feeling' or 'seeing' Mack at your apartment it's because pieces of her are still there with you. As silly as this may seem---talk to her. Let her know how much you miss her and love her, and wish her well on her journey. I'm not a religious person, either, but I don't believe that death is "The End". Often, I've felt my Dad's hand on my shoulder, and he's been gone almost 18 years. My Aunt Mary always said she heard her fox terrier's claws on the hardwood floors long after he'd passed. Maybe it's just our mind's way of coping with our loss, maybe it's our loved one keeping an eye on us and letting know we're not alone.

Do not rush your grieving; you have been thru a major trauma and you will take a long, long time to heal. The day will come when you can think of Mack without crying, but I feel it's going to take quite awhile. Be good to yourself, sweetie, and know that we're here for you and grieving with you.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

And if you are seeing her, she's there. She wants to let you know she's okay, I'm sure. Ootay hung around for a week, watching over us, Tolly and I both felt her presence and felt when she left too, and she has visited a few more times since then.
I know too many people that have experienced this. I think she's there to comfort you.
I'm so glad all of her things are still there. I'm sure you'll deal with them when you're ready, and not only does it help hold her close right now, sorting them when it's the right time I think will help you through your grief.
I can't imagine how tough this is, I just know everything you're feeling is normal, though that's hardly of any comfort.

sophielew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What you are experiencing is exactly what we went through with our little Sophie! It will be three weeks tomorrow tat she crossed the "rainbow bridge"and we miss her so much and still "see and hear" all the little things she did! We started to put her things away and even gave her food and water bowls to my sister's cat "Mittens"! Then unexpectedly we received a call from a vet looking for a forever home for a rescued cattery cat! We didn't think we were ready for another little life but it almost seemed like fate saying that there was another little one who needed to be loved and cared for!
Just under 2 weeks that Sophie left us we adopted, Sunshine! She has spent her entire 14 weeks of life in a cattery (except for a one week adoption which didn't work out) She is beginning to socialize and at time we swear that Sophies spirit is in her telling her about our likes, dislikes and needs! We've had Sunshine for one week and she now spends the night in our bed, just like Sophie! It's getting better every day! It's amazing how often we call her Sophie! (probably 50% of the time)
I'm not suggesting that you adopt nother now! But that time will heal and you'll know what to do next! Mackerel will always be with you!
Fred & Diane

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. I've been hearing/seeing her all around the house.. at the moment I keep... hearing her eating her biscuits. It's very strange, kind of... upsetting. But comforting, as well.

Thanks for the hugs, guys.

Fred & Diane - I'm so sorry for your loss of Sophie. I didn't know that she'd crossed the rainbow bridge- I followed your thread about Sophie's intermittent blindness, but... well. I'm sure you understand, I didn't spend much time on TCS for a while. But again - I'm so sorry.

RIP Sophie.

Sounds like you were in just the right place at just the right time to get Sunshine!

I'm not going to get another cat- I'm a student, and this whole experience has really just illustrated to me that I'm not in a place where I can look after a cat properly. My "Mackerel Fund" was only a few hundred dollars, and it was so so so insufficient. I owe my parents over $2000 now, and recently discovered that the vet discounted my bill by my additional $1000.

I'm a big believer that adopting a pet is one of the biggest responsibilities in life. You have to put that cat/dog/budgie/mouse/moose ahead of all of your needs, and be able to feed them and care for them... but also look after them medically if things go bad. Week to week I always made sure that Mackerel was looked after even if it meant skimping on my own food and things like that, but when my ex and I adopted her he was working full time. I would never have adopted Mackerel if I'd known that my finances would be so stretched.

I miss her so much, and I wish she was here, and if I'd had to pay the $100 a month for her medication that it looked like I'd have to for a while it would have been so so very worth it. But I can't in good conscience adopt another animal in my situation... and my heart's still bleeding for my Mackerel... I couldn't even think about getting another animal just now.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's true, having a pet is a big responsibility. Some people are fortunate enough to have cats that almost never need to go to the vet for anything (Sami). The other people have cats who seem to have constant problems (Parker).
I had to stretch my budget several times for Parker. I cried for days wondering how I was going to cover costs, or if I was going to lose him first. I pulled through and I would do it again if I had to.

Mackerel was lucky to have someone willing to foot the bill, regardless of cost. So many animals don't get so lucky.

The wounds are still fresh, so no one would expect you to run out and get another kitty anyway. Especially if you feel you are not financially stable enough to do it. Maybe some day though, when you're ready, a special kitty will make his/her way into your heart and home and you can share your love them. If not, that is fine too. You've been through a lot with just the one kitty.

I think about you and Mackerel often. I still say a prayer for you each night. I hope your heart mends soon, so you can enjoy all the happy moments you shared with your girl, with less pain and sadness.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The medical bills for our cats when they become sick can be Astronomical! Years ago it took me many months to pay my full vet bill on my older cat who became ill her last year of her life. It sounds like your vet was trying to help you so much by discounting some of the costs. You have a very nice vet and Mackerel had the best care.

I am sure you feel her presence in the house and this will happen often, so don't be alarmed by that. In a way it will be reassuring that she is now at peace and pain free and her spirit and memory will be alive in your heart and home
. I had similar experiences after losing a cat. You think see them run by out of the corner of your eye. Or the chair or couch where they used to nap in. And one night shortly after Potsie died last summer, I woke up and saw him sitting right next to me off the side of my bed just watching me. It startled me and I turned on the light. It was at first a bit upsetting to me because it was so real. Then it was so comforting because I knew it was a sign that he was happy and coming to tell me he loved me and he was just fine now, better than ever. Just wanted to share that experience with you because I believe our beloved cats do watch over us when we sleep

I think you know what is right for you in regards to another cat. Some cats live their whole life without ever needing much medical care other than the yearly check ups. Some just have a multiple of medical issues that can run us out of house and home!!! Someday when the time is right you will find another cat OR a cat will find you.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness... sometimes your words just... seem to bite you in the ass, don't they.

Henly vet clinic have just had a litter of four week old kittens dropped off at the door. A brood of boys.. and one little girl, who's being beaten up and bullied by the others.

They need to find a foster home for her, and my friend K has called and asked if I could take her for a few weeks.

I miss Mackerel desperately.
But... I would like to help... to do some good in her name. And... it's so lonely at home without her.

I've said that I'll think about it... but I do really like the idea of giving back to the vet who helped Mackerel and I so much. It would definitely only be for a couple of weeks. I don't know... if I'm ready, though. When Kristee asked me I just burst into tears, I couldn't even think about it. But... I don't know, maybe it'll be good to have another cat around the house. Less silent, less grief stricken.
I don't mean less grieving- I'll be grieving forever, I feel at the moment... but the house is so dark and sad to come home to.

What do you guys think?

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should only get one if you REALLY feel up to it. If you don't think you can afford to, or if you really miss Mackerel too much, maybe you should hold off.

However, if it is only temporary, maybe the company of a kitty will help bring some noise and distractions for you. Helping this little baby might bring some comfort to you as well. But like I said, its up to you. Don't feel obligated, I'm sure she would understand if you aren't ready to take on another kitty just yet.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean about vet costs. I have 7 cats and I'm only 20 with a job that pays just over minimum wage. I don't have a big fund put away for my cats but I do have a bank overdraft. Luckily I co-own two of them with my Mum and she would help me out if necessary but I am really over my limit.

Have a good think before you decide to foster hun -- it's your call

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok guys, so... I've decided to do it, I think.

I spoke to K about it at length- she says that the vet will cover all the costs, and that I will have to train her to use the litter box and to bottle feed her for a little while, and I will be looking after her until she's ready to go to a forever home, but that if I get too upset at having her with me or if it doesn't work out I can bring her back whenever I want and they'll find another foster home for her.

She's apparently very healthy apart from being prone to bullying and being the runt, and Mr chicken is fully vaccinated so if he comes to live with us then K says there wouldn't be any problem with him and the kitten.

It's something that K thinks is good to do once you've lost a cat... she knows I'm not coping very well, and apparently fostering will give me... something to do, and something to look after.

Like other people have said, helping animals will be a great way to remember Mackerel, a wonderful way to honor her. I'm kind of starting to see this as the first step with that... I don't know if that's sensible or not.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is a lovely way to honor Mackerels memory. You will find yourself smiling at this kittens antics.

I think helping this little one in Mackerels name will start smoothing the jagged edges of the grief you feel.

They say (although I don't know who "they" are) when you are grieving, helping someone else helps us.

You have a great heart, Sophie.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it's just for a little while, so if you find you aren't ready, you don't have to worry about keeping the kitten. I know people who got a kitten right after their cat died, and it helped them out a lot.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sophie, my 2 cents worth: if the little one you're thinking of fostering is the runt of the litter and has been bullied by the others, your room-mate has no business bringing in a full grown male cat. I would be scared to death to leave the 2 of them alone.

If you feel up to caring for another kitty, by all means foster the little one---after the vet gives her a clean bill of health. Forgive me for being fuzzy on the details--was Mack actually diagnosed with anything that could potentially harm the little one? Your apartment may not be the safest place at the moment for a 4 week old kitten. I truly don't know anything about communicable diseases in cats, so maybe someone else can jump in here.

It sounds to me as if you're very willing to take on the responsibility of a kitten, and lavish all your love on her. I've never fostered before; do you have the option of becoming her forever Meowmy?

You're very mature for your years, sweetie; I know you'll make the right choice. And whatever choice you make, we're behind you 100%.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good points to think about, Libby.

Mr Chicken isn't living here yet... and I'm not entirely sure that he's ever going to move in. My housemate told me this morning that she's been looking for another place to live for about a week. She's nervous about the idea of moving in with a cat who likes being outside when she knows there's a cat in the neighbourhood who probably has FIP. I would totally feel the same way, so I don't blame her at all. She's dead set on having Mr Chicken be inside/outside, so it seems like an awful risk to take with his health. If Mr Chicken does move in, she'll be safe because what we're currently planning to do with the kitten is to put her in the bathroom with her food and water and litter tray and blankets, so they'll be in separate rooms.

Mackerel wasn't ever diagnosed with FIP formally but only because there's no test for it in a living cat and I didn't want a necropsy to confirm.
K says that as long as we scrub out the litterboxes and the food bowls really well (I'm disinfecting and sterilising them now) there's no problem. I'm also going to mop the floors with disinfectant and wipe down everything to be absolutely sure. In my research on FIP it seems like only the first three weeks are contagious in terms of shedding a lot of the virus into the environment, and in the next three weeks it decreases, and by the time they're showing symptoms there's barely any virus load being shed.

K is pretty keen for me to adopt this little girl permanently and give her a forever home. I'm... not keen on that for several reasons... mostly I just... I'm not ready. But also the financial reasons I gave before. Of course, when I told K that she came back half an hour later and said that the vet/owner is happy to give me an account there for this little girl and discounted vet care for her life. Like I said, she's pretty keen for me to keep her. But I really just don't feel like I can offer a cat a forever home at the moment and know that I can look after them properly. My parents are pretty keen for me to not adopt her permanently too, and I respect them too much to go against them in this... especially because I agree with them.

I don't know if this is... I don't know if the right word is 'shallow' or not, but I've barely cried at all today after I got the call from K about this kitten. Been too busy thinking about possibilities and whether or not to foster her, I think. Only when I've been explaining to people that Mackerel was my... my soul cat... and that I don't want to keep this kitten permanently because... well, because she's not Mackerel. I guess that's sort of the reason behind K suggesting that I foster... because it's distracting me from feeling miserable and missing Mackerel with every thought.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are in a really tough situation here.

I'm fairly certain that getting a new cat will help you feel better. We got Belle and Delilah less than a month after Zoey passed away (I had the same problems as you, adjusting to her not being around) and never looked back. I still missed Zoey, but the void of fur and pets and cuddles was filled by my two new kittens.

What I'm most concerned about is that you'll have to give this cat back. If you're not able to keep the cat financially, I'd probably recommend not venturing into fostering at this time, especially with a cat that's going to need some bottle feeding, etc. If it were me (and it's not, so you have to decide), I'd get attached to that cat. Yes, it would fill that void left behind, but when it came time to re-home that cat, that void would open up again and I'd have 2 cats to miss instead of just one. That said, I'm fairly certain I'd never be able to foster cats because I'd have trouble giving them up. Perhaps you're not like that.

If you can figure out a way that you'd be able to keep the cat if you so choose (just commit to fostering now, but know that the possibility to keep is there if you choose when the time comes), then it would be a different story. I totally agree with you that you need to be able to financially support a cat. However, the day to day costs of keeping a cat are not astronomical. If you can get the vet to cut you a deal with start-up costs (spaying, vaccinations) and give you discounted rates for future "routine" stuff), then that should help keep costs down. There are quality foods out there that don't cost a fortune. I'm not saying that people with NO means to treat a cat if he/she gets sick should adopt a cat, but I feel maybe you do have the means. It might not be money in a bank account, but whether it be being able to borrow from your parents or keep an account at the vet, you seem to have options. I can tell you right now that MOST people owning pets likely do not have a $2000+ account set aside for vet costs. Many here probably do, yes. But many have to do the same thing you would have to do....or dig into their savings if they have them.

So, what I'm saying is...make sure you have the means to take care of this little one if you choose to keep him/her...but that you can't live in constant fear that a new kitty is going to get sick like Mackeral. Have back-up plan in case that happens, yes...but it doesn't mean having $4000 in a savings account "just in case". I know people might disagree with me here.

As for sanitizing, my Zoey also had an FIP dianosis (that I still don't believe, but that's another story)...and totally different symptoms. I'd recommend a really thorough cleaning for peace of mind, and maybe some new toys rather than Mackeral's old ones. FIP itself is not contagious. The virus that causes it is, but MOST cats have already been exposed to coronavirus anyway. FIP happens when that regular virus mutates into the FIP virus within the cat's body. The mutated virus can't be passed onto another cat anyway. I don't know if there were any other "contagious" possibilities talked about and don't know much about other communicable diseases, but don't think the vet would recommend you bringing in a new cat if he really felt it was a possibility that anything would be passed onto this little one.

SO, that's my 2 cents...it's not worth much, since I really don't know what you should do.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie, go with your heart
on this. I think you already know what you want to do. It is almost like it was meant to be this way? You will still grieve for Mack, yes. Fostering another needy kitten is in NO way replacing your Mackerel. Shortly after Potsie died last year, days after, along came these kittens abandoned and left behind at a horse barn that closed down. I didn't even question what I was to do, I knew they needed me and I needed them too. This kitten will help fill that quiet, lonely void in your home and help bring some joy into your life and you cannot feel guilty about that. Mackerel knows what a great meowmy and caretaker you were for her and she would want you to spread the love
. If you are fostering this kitten and the people have offered an account to assist with care at your vet's office, then I would definitely open your home to helping this kitten.

There are so many, many cats/kittens in need of people like yourself. And it is a two-way street here, you are helping this little darling and this little darling will help you at the moment.
. You can just foster this kitten for a couple of weeks and see how it goes, and if it is too much too soon, then the kitten will still be that much farther along in age and will be ready to go up for adoption at that point! You will be doing a great thing for this little one. Come what may, you are a strong woman, I can tell, and you can handle anything
. So, let us know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whatever you decide, we will be here to support

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds of sort of cliche, but maybe you could write down the pros & cons regarding fostering this little one. If you're not ready to bring her in, so be it. I think I know you well enough by now to know that once you bring her in and care for her, you won't let her be re-homed. She'll never replace Miss Mack, but she may help you heal. The vet is offereing you a lifetime discount? That's an amazing offer, Sophie.

You don't sound 'shallow' at all for not thinking about/grieving over Mack every second of every day. You simply can't do it, the grief will drive you crazy if you try.

It's not for me to say one way or the other; as I said, whatever decision you make we'll back you on it. Listen to your heart, sweetie, and do what you feel is right. I know it's a tough choice, but you have proved yourself to be one tough young lady.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've tried so many times to explain over the years why getting another cat when I lose a precious one helps. I don't know why it helps. It just changes the dynamics in the family. It gives you something else to concentrate on, which has always helped me with my grief.

I fully understand why, as a student, you don't feel compelled to take on another kitty. I have a college student, and I'd worry myself to death if he got a pet. (Mostly because I'd worry it would end up here and totally send my husband over the edge...)

But I do think you have a great support system with this vet. I wish you luck in figuring all this out. More of these