the JOYS of apartment life!!

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, don't get me started on the laundry situation in my neighborhood LOL. Well, now it's not so bad...but two years ago I lived in an...OK (at best) neighborhood...with my clothes couples with a boyfriend who had absolutely zero dry cleaning and wore thick sweatshirts (in winter of course) when he got home at night, I had tons of it to do. I had to walk nearly a full block to the laundromat (from a third-floor walk-up) with approximately 25 lbs of laundry. Not pretty!! Then I would get there and NOTHING worked. Some dryers were better than others...but if a washer or two was broken, fuhgeddaboutit!!!

Then we moved last year to a building with "laundry facilities." Hooray! Thought our problems of nuisances were over. NOT! They had four washer and four dryers for nearly 45 apartments. Let's say there was an average 1.5 persons per household. About a month after we moved in, two of the washers broke and two of the dryers just stopped drying. I mean, they worked, but just blew like cold air on already wet clothes. Nice. We registered a complaint with the management office, as we found out in later months, my BF and I were one of the highest paying tenants in the building (and our rent, believe me, was NOT expensive)...due to rent control laws, the new management (in place about 4 years) could not legally jack their rent to current market values. So they just didn't care about our complaints. Honestly, we were friendly with the management office, and they were like, "Stop complaining about it."

But it wasn't even like I could go somewhere to do it. Noooooo...the laundromat across the street (similar situation to apartment #1 situation) had the same broken washer from the time I started to go there, and two broken dryers (never fixed) and dryers that were iffy at best. Some blew such hot air that I could only dry towels in it, stuff I didn't care if it shrunk. Talk about management who didn't give an S---!

Now? I live in a wonderful apartment with a wonderful landlady in a fabulous neighborhood. The first thing I asked about were laundry facilities. The realtor told us that there were none on premises but there was a great laundromat around the corner. I'm like, "here we go again." But...it was clean, stuff worked (thereby, eliminating stress on laundry day), a bit pricey but worth it for all the troubles I had w/ laundry from the get-go!...no jerks hijacking dryers (I hate that...could go on and on for hours on that one!), and it's closer to my house than any of the o thers. So it was worth the wait.

Plus, get this...for the people who believe in "ecological friendliness" (and I am pro-environment, yet I never considered it for that LOL), my BF suggested doing laundry at his parent's house this weekend (cause it was a short enough load to warrant doing it, but not worth the $$ it would cost us), and I was like "Are you crazy! It will take us four hours to do three short loads of laundry! We'll wait another day or two!!!" It was funny, how things work (although, I totally would not mind having my own, but c'est la vie!).

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The 1st year I was studying in Boston, I lived in a complex for medical students - new docs, etc and you would think that would be OK but no, there was always someone using the washing machines. Fortunately, I had an aunt (gram's sister) who lived in Concord so I would take the T and go to her house on the w/e to do my laundry. God bless her, she is still living at 99 in Plymouth, Mass!! Later, some friends and I moved into an apt and my parents bought me a washer and dryer!!

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agggg poor you - that is not a good situation to be in! I mean, he could just use 1 dryer and leave another one free for other people but oh no, that's too simple!

I am glad that I have my own washing machine here. I don't have a dryer though but I use an airer and leave it in the living room by the radiator this time of year. I like it in the summer because I can hang the washing out to dry on it's own

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I have an update on the situation. LOL
My BF went to get the clothes out of the dryer when we were finally able to dry them, and had trouble with the dude AGAIN!! My BF went over to get the clothes and they weren't quite done, so he waited a little while. Well, the fat man walked in just as one of the dryers stopped, and he OPENED IT UP!!! Even though he saw my BF sitting there waiting for it!!! Then he crowed my BF while he was trying to get clothes. AND accused my BF of not even living here, and just using the washers, and talked trash about our very nice landlord!!
They guy has seen us go in and out of here a bunch of times.
I would LOVE to have that "Pulp Fiction" moment with this dude, you know the one where Butch is in the car and Marcallus walks out in front of him? Yeah, that one. Although he's so freakin' big, he would probably damage my truck more than I would damage him. LOL

Anyway. We are now trying to figure out what part of the area we want to move to, and agaonizing over the difficulty of finding a pet-friendly place.
Buying isn't really an option, unfortunately. We aren't married and don't really want to be (we both have divorced parents)...there's no way we could get a loan with just one of us on it, and if we were both on the loan we wouldn't be able to get a decent interest rate.
So even though we are pulling in a decent amount of money together, we couldn't afford a home loan.
Sick, sad world, huh?

moocow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart, I can empathize.

My old apt had two washers & dryers for 20 apts. One time I went down to get my clothes out of the washer 30 minutes after I put them in there and someone had already thrown my clothes all over the dusty dirty table. People there were way rude, too, leaving clothes in the machines overnight even. There were times when I had no choice but to take them out but I'd always put them in their basket or in the dryer, not just strewn about the room.

As chance would have it, every time I went to the closest laundromat a van would pull up or already be there that had a huge family of Mexicans in it. There were always at least two or three men, two or three women, and several children running around the mat, and the men would stare at me and make comments in Spanish (which I don't speak so it spooked me). I have nothing against Mexican people but they just freaked me out... and they were always there!