The Infamous Arctic Cold Already

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw a few flakes of snow this afternoon and it's supposed to be down in the teens the next few nights.  I got so sick of hearing about the Arctic Vortex last year.  I guess this is Arctic Vortex light for late fall.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I checked different forecast sites and a few said we could see some flakes overnight.  It doesn't look like it will happen now; it's still too warm so we've just had rain.  I'm totally ok with that!  My DD is hoping to see snow in the morning. 
  I'm hoping to see snow...on the television.  On postcards or junk mail...anywhere but in my yard!  Our trees are still shedding leaves! 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Some snow flakes on the way home from work last night, but nothing major. We are to get something Monday into Tuesday next week, from what I've been seeing on our local news. Not looking forward to it.

We were below freezing last night. 

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good news. The snow is melting (I haven't got my snow tires put on yet). Bad news. It's still really cold and there's a wind. We put a new roof on the house this summer, and switched from an old oil furnace to a new efficiency gas furnace. I've put plastic on the windows (except for cat sitting windows) and did some caulking but our house just isn't retaining its heat like it usually does. And my hot flashes, better termed night sweats, don't help much.

Last edited:

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had snow yesterday. It melted quickly and they were small, light flakes, but it came down heavily most of the morning and afternoon. The evening, it cleared up. Today, it's just been cold and windy. Still some remnants of snow piles on bus shelters and in patches on the grass.

My dad was on vacation last week so fortunately, he had time to get the snow tires put on my car and my mom's car. His car isn't fitted with snow tires, but since I'm not using it, he takes my car in the winter.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got a few flakes last night but there is nothing out there today.  It's very sunny and 39 degrees so it's not that cold but it is very windy which makes it seem a lot colder.l

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It's coming here tomorrow morning. According to local weather casts, snow, sleet, and freezing rain early Monday morning, changing over to all rain sometime during the day. TWC, however, is calling for all rain, so we don't know what to believe. Rick already said he'd probably drive me into work, then take the Tucson to his work since it has all-wheel drive. I hate the thought of starting all this up again with him chauffeuring me to work all the time.

And the cold. Monday, at 40 degrees F, (according to local forecasts) is our high for the week. 

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Snow has started here. Getting the majority (5-10 cm) Monday and Tuesday. Wondering if I should go out and try to find some place to get my snow tires on ... but it's a Sunday.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's snowing like crazy. It's a wet snow and very slippery. I may be forced to go out - deadlines and all that associated with. Just in case, I filled the gas tank yesterday to put more weight in the back end, and the snow tires on their own rims are at the door to go in the back of the car for even more weight. I haven't driven in snow on summer tires in almost 40 years. I live in a little out of the way cul-de-sac. The main roads are blocks away. I'm hoping they have been plowed and are fairly clear.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It actually only snows when it's "warmer" here :tongue2:. Last year we hardly got any snow---lost a lot of plants because they depend on the snow cover to keep from dying. We got about 3 inches of snow on Saturday, so its been in the 20s since then. But on Friday the low temp was 2 degrees :eek: and that's just too cold for November. We shouldn't be getting single digits until January.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got the snow and it's the really wet stuff.  It's supposed to go down to 9 tonight and then start warming back up.  It's supposed to be back up in the high 60s the beginning of next week.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got a lot more snow than I was expecting, and it's sticking around. Just did round one of shoveling, while DH is putting on the snow tires. Looks like it's going to hover around 0 C all week, so not terribly bad I suppose, and more snow all week.
We've been toying with the idea of driving down to Florida for a week and this weather is a push in that direction.

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to turn the air back on in the house yesterday.  Cold snap expected overnight tonight. High 30s forecasted. Back to the high 70s by Friday.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw a post on Facebook that said just outside Buffalo, NY they received 51 inches of snow in 24 hours!  

It stayed below freezing here; but thank the Lord, it was SUNNY!!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It was on the news last night about Buffalo. At one time, they thought they'd get as much as 70 inches from that mess! I can't imagine that much snow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have snow on the ground but nothing like that.  I have heard 3 to 5 inches for this area and it's a balmy 18 F right now.  It's too early for this.