the IDB vs Lymphoma limbo of horror

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowmal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
slightly sad update, it is small cell lymphoma. she's been so normal lately i was really thinking it was just going to be ibd.

the vet was very positive and we're starting her on medication this weekend. i'm looking for vets in hungary now as she'll have to have blood work done after a month of treatment. they are going to make the meds in liquid form so that's good. she was making herself sick trying to throw up the cerenia pill.

nothing else to report, still a little stunned. january 2016 has sucked pretty much all around huh?

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's entirely possible she could have another good few years. Here's a study about chlorambucil (Leukeran) and steroids:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092124/
Highlights:
- About 96% of cats responded to treatment and their lymphoma was held in check
- Average remission was about two years, but some cats had remission for up to about 4 years
- If it relapses, there are other chemo options that are also effective (cyclophosphamide, which can get about another year, but side effects are worse)

From what I've read on here, Leukeran isn't that bad a treatment and cats tolerate it really well.

Altogether, that's about a normal cat lifespan. It sucks to have to start thinking about your cat having a limited amount of time left, though.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

slightly sad update, it is small cell lymphoma. she's been so normal lately i was really thinking it was just going to be ibd.

the vet was very positive and we're starting her on medication this weekend. i'm looking for vets in hungary now as she'll have to have blood work done after a month of treatment. they are going to make the meds in liquid form so that's good. she was making herself sick trying to throw up the cerenia pill.

nothing else to report, still a little stunned. january 2016 has sucked pretty much all around huh?
Oh I am so sad to hear this....(((hugs)))) I do not know what to say....

at least you do have a diagnosis...and a plan. 

Just ((((Hugs)))))) to both you and your baby...keep us updated....please

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh! Have you tried catnip for the nausea? It's normally pretty effective for my cat. I have a pretty good success rate of preventing vomiting with it when I hear her heaving. She likes to eat it, I think it might be more effective for stomach stuff that way. (But when she was in the worst of her flare, even the smell of catnip made her nauseous.)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sorry your diagnosis is upsetting you :(

At least it's not large cell, this does not have nearly the good outcome as small.

From what I understand, small cell is not so bad and certainly not the end of her life, as it responds to leukeran and prednisone very well, the leukeran given as 1 pill every 2 weeks and the pred given every other day then tapered down/off.

96% were cleared for more than 2 years,  some a good deal more, even twice as long, and if needed again then 100% respond well to another drug and given another year and more.

My Krissy has IBD and thickened intestinal wall, and I have only changed her diet and now and then give her pepcid for a day maybe one day every couple months is all she needs if something upset her tummy, she is doing great, but I do wonder if it will turn in to lymphoma in time. I opted not to have her biopsied.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowmal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't but she's actually not having nausea. Maybe once she's starts on the chemo. The only symptom she had of SCL or IBD was that one week where she got sick a few times that landed us in the pet ER.

Right now my primary concern is finding a good vet in Budapest. We go for her health certificate on Friday and I'll get copies of all her records then.