The humane society

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you could always lay a big guilt trip on her and tell her that the burmese breeders will keep their kitties until they find a home, and the shelter will only keep them for a little while. Most all animals in a shelter are going to be loving furfriends because they will be in a big house or apartment with human contact. beg and plee with her ask her if you can have two kitties one of your own from the shelter and a burmese that she wants. Beg her for a compromise.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've actually found the most shelter kitties are more grateful to their rescuers. They are so relieved to be out of the cage and into a loving home.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is not true about shelter animals not loving their new homes. I'm not saying never, but you don't get a guarantee with a pure-bred either. My two kitties came from our county animal control center, were both estimated to be four years old (so adults) and they love me. They greet me at the door whenever I come home, they sleep with me, they follow me around the house, I can't imagine them being more affectionate.

But, if she's set, please ask her to be very careful regarding picking a breeder. You'll probably have to go to some cat shows to meet reputable breeders, and it's going to cost a fair amount. That said, the Burmese are beautiful cats, no denying.

I know, whatever happens, you're going to be a wonderful pet parent. And I can't blame your mom if she doesn't really understand what sort of animals shelters have these days. I had the same misconception until I got mine and did research into various shelter groups, etc.

But, if she has questions, I'm sure people here would be happy to share their experiences. And, there is a forum on this site for breeders - maybe some of the posters there could help you find a good Burmese breeder to contact if you end up going that way.

Good luck - I'm sure it'll all work in the end, since you have such a good heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She absolutely wont do the shelter
But we did do our reaserch on the breed. And we called people that have had these peoples kittens and they have been breeding for twenty years and our authorized by the Burmese national society.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, at least it sounds like she's found a reputable breeder. I personally can't imagine spending that kind of money on a cat.

But chin up sweetie... I'm sure when your out on your own you'll rescue a very grateful shelter kitty (or 5).

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about not being able to get one from a shelter. But, Burmese are beautiful, intelligent cats. You can have the experience of loving this one then later on, loving others
This may be a good way to see the differences in breeder's cats and shelter cats. Please keep us updated and I wanna see pics when you get the kitty

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by photographerboy

She thinks shelter animals do not like there owners.
All 4 of mine are shelter kitties and believe me, they all like me!

The only way to convince her otherwise is to know why she thinks that to begin with. She may have had or known of an aloof cat that came from a shelter. Unfortunately, people frequently make broad assumptions based on very little information.

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Well, at least it sounds like she's found a reputable breeder. I personally can't imagine spending that kind of money on a cat.

But chin up sweetie... I'm sure when your out on your own you'll rescue a very grateful shelter kitty (or 5).
Well Five is better than one! And her past experience was the first time she decided to get a cat it would bite scratch his if you got more than a foot close............... But he was abused. but I know he was grateful!

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Pepper came from a shelter and she was so loving from the first minute. Even walking around the shelter there were other cats that were meowing at me to come pet them! I wanted them all but hubby said only one...
Good luck!

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what if you were to look thru the newspaper and find an ad the says free kittens to a good home. A lot of people that put them ads in there will put it in to try to get them a home before they take them to the shelter. It wouldnt necessarily be getting one from the shelter but rather preventing one from going to the shelter????? You would still in a sense be rescuing one? Or what if you would wait until the shelter actually has a kitten instead of a mostly grown one. Then maybe your mom wont think so much about them being mean or ungrateful.? to change your moms mind.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mistressotdark

thats definately not true..I got salem and sabrina from the humane society and they both love me!
Chip was a shelter kitty, & he's one of my most affectionate furchildren.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She absolutely wont do the shelter
But we did do our reaserch on the breed. And we called people that have had these peoples kittens and they have been breeding for twenty years and our authorized by the Burmese national society.
Make sure the cattery is producing show-quality in addition to any pet-quality Burmese cats. If they are just producing litter after litter of pet-quality Burmeses, it's time to find a new breeder. I would also talk to her about the possibility of getting a retired show Burmese.

I've never heard of the Burmese National Society but I don't know anything about Burmese either. Is the cattery/breeder you are talking about registered with CFA and/or TICA? What is the cattery name? I found this list, are they on it by chance?
http://www.breedlist.com/breeders/bur.html

I have nothing against a pedigreed cat, but just be really careful not to go to a backyard breeder. I urge you and your mom to read these:
http://www.petplace.com/cats/finding...der/page1.aspx
http://cats.about.com/cs/breedprofil...pedigree_2.htm

Ask the breeder WHY they are breeding. If they are not trying to improve the Burmese breed standard, they are breeding for the wrong reasons and you need to find a different breeder. Some breeders just breed to produce cute pets, and why they take care of the animals, they aren't breeding for the right reasons.

It's too bad that your mom has that misconception about animals who come from shelters. Again, you can tell her about cat rescue groups who have adoptable cats in need of homes that are *not* in cages. You don't have to go to a humane society, are there any rescue groups in your area? Neither one of my cats came through a shelter/humane society and I found both on Petfinder. (One is from a cat rescue and as in a foster home, the other is from a pet sanctuary type place).

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually the link to the kitty I showed you was from a no-kill animal sanctuary. But this is the National alliance of Burmese breeders http://www.burmesecat.orgBut thank you for those links my mom liked the breeders on that list more than the one we found.

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(P.s. i fixed the link in the previous post) Well we started cat proofing the houses. so far we have
1. Hidden any chewable wires
2.moved around some chairs so he cat use them as launch pads
3. and put all the trash cans in cabenits
is there any thing else we should do?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

I would also talk to her about the possibility of getting a retired show Burmese.
My new young adult Oriental had a brief career as a stud, for various reasons that aren't relevant here he was neutered and looking for a pet home, and having him was a really great decision for us. He's young and crazy still, but I don't have to worry so much about him getting himself into trouble while I'm out, and I don't have to be concerned that my other boys will play too rough with him like I would if he was a little kitten. Kittens are great but they are hard work!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

(P.s. i fixed the link in the previous post) Well we started cat proofing the houses. so far we have
1. Hidden any chewable wires
2.moved around some chairs so he cat use them as launch pads
3. and put all the trash cans in cabenits
is there any thing else we should do?
I think you're off to a great start, because you're trying to make sure your kitty's new home is safe. Let's see...

1. Make sure trash like dental floss, ribbons, anything long and stringy goes into the trash cans you've already safely put away. Stringy things are fascinating for cats, and sometimes they'll eat them - and that can be very dangerous.
2. I had to practice putting down the toilet lids all the time before I got Dharma, so it became a habit for me - cats, and kittens, are very curious and might fall in - if they're very little, they might not be able to get out and might drown.
3. Always make sure there are no cats in the washer or dryer - again, cats get fascinated by small enclosed places that might be very dangerous for them. Also, try to be sure you see your cat when you leave the house - sometimes they climb into open drawers, or behind closet doors, and get closed in - and that's not a great thing.
3. If you're getting a kitten, you might want to start him or her off in just one room in your house so he can slowly adjust to all the new things. You can put his litter box at one end of the room, and his food at the other end...cats don't like to eat near their litter box. And, maybe make sure anything really valuable and breakable is put away - cats are very good at not breaking things as they jump around, but accidents can happen.
4. You might want to look at cat carriers now - you don't want to carry your kitty loose in the car, so to keep them safe, find a carrier that you and your mom like. I splurged and got a medium sized Sherpa bag - my cats will even sleep in it sometimes. But there are all sorts of carriers out there - you'll find something you like!
5. I bet the breeder can give you a lot of advice about what sort of food and litter to start out with (usually whatever the cat is used to - just think how many new things your new friend will have to adjust to in his new house), what sort of combs or brushes, and how to clip his nails. You'll have to get a litter box, and some bowls for food and water - and I bet you'll want to get some toys.
6. Always make sure toys with strings (like fishing rod type toys) are put away after you play with them. Again, sometimes cats will chew and eat what's not good for them, so you've got to help make sure dangerous things aren't out when you're not with your kitty.
7. I thought of you last night - the new issue of Cat Fancy came in the mail (has a Siamese kitten on the cover) and it has a special section on taking care of kittens.
8. Before I brought my cats home, I made an appointment with a vet, just to see their office and see how I liked them, their hours, what emergency vet they used, just how they took care of their patients in general. Especially if you get a young kitten, there are some medical things you'll have to take care of (vaccinations, de-worming, neutering), so I think it's important to find someone you like early on.
9. It sounds like a lot of stuff to take care of, and having a pet is a responsibility, but I think you and your mom will be great at making sure your cat has a great home. I'm just trying to think of all the things people told me when I adopted my first cat two years ago - honestly, all the effort is so worth it! - oh, enzyme cleaners like OxyFresh or Nature's Miracle are a very good thing to have at home - even the most perfect kitty may have a little accident here or there!

Honestly, I'm so excited for you and hope everything works out great - I can't wait to see pictures!

onyxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, you probably know this (I must admit I've not read the whole of this thread!) but make sure you take on the full responsibility of feeding your kitty, cats are cupboard lovers and will always bond best with the person who feeds them
I'm sure you would anyway as you're so keen but just thought I'd mention it.

Good luck - cant wait to see the photos

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just on the first day I will have at least a thousand pics and one hundred vids