The humane society

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING against purebreds, but rescue animals ROCK!!!

Just choose carefully... or it is more likely that the cat (or cats) will choose you. I have met some WONderful animals who have ended up in our care through no fault of their own. You and your mom would be doing angels work to give one or two of these babies a second chance at a happy life.

And you may find a purebred or PB mix at a shelter. We have had all kinds come in - Siamese, Persians, Maine Coons, Manx, etc.

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also am going to be heading to my local humane society soon to get a couple of new cats. Just a note of warning: many places (shelters, and breeders, too) ask you (and your parents) to fill out an application form, go through an interview, and afterwards sign a contract. You can check and see if your local humane society or other local shelters have animals listed at petfinder.com and/or if they have their own web site. You can download and fill out the application ahead of time, and maybe even pick out some new cats you want!

Good luck.

olivia's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck with going and possibly finding a new friend. I've always adopted from the shelter. My current kitty, Olivia, picked me when I wasn't even looking, and has made me laugh since I brought her home.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wait to see if you can bring one home...make sure to keep us updated and of course, if/when you do get on, make sure to post the pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We found a puppy on our porch......... We are going find him a home first and we are not going to just dump him at the shelter and he has bonded with the family. But we aren't keeping hi he isn't the right pet for us he loves running and jumping and is all ways active....... which we are not
i do go outside but i hate walking i only skate board and he thinks skateboards are evil demon's
anyway once we find him a home we will get a kitty.

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by photographerboy

We found a puppy on our porch......... We are going find him a home first and we are not going to just dump him at the shelter and he has bonded with the family. But we aren't keeping hi he isn't the right pet for us he loves running and jumping and is all ways active....... which we are not
i do go outside but i hate walking i only skate board and he thinks skateboards are evil demon's
anyway once we find him a home we will get a kitty.
Ohh and sorry I haven't posted in so long

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
YAY WE FOUND A GOOD HOME FOR THE LITTLE GUY. The guy has 3 other jack russle treires.He is coming to get him tomorow and we are going to the shelter tomorrow and looking at the kittys.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
try a purebred rescue if you're looking for a burmese.

I REALLY wanted bengals and found two bengal kittens at a purebred rescue, I just brought them home about two weeks ago.

They're the greatest.

I feel great about it too because I was able to rescue the breed I really wanted from a yucky situation and give them a good home.

There is a bigger need to rescue purebreds now too. It's really sad but because the economy is down a bit, dodgy breeders aren't getting the money they want for the kittens they breed and have been dropping boxes of moms and kittens off at rescues and dumping them on sides of streets.

It's awful, there are so many babies that need good homes, there's no reason why you can't adopt the breed you'd like to.

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If looked at pure breed rescue centers. Sadly the only one with a Burmese was four states away. And I just want a little companion and you don't need a purebred for that

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a velcro kitty

Just remember that they are not necessarily themselves in a shelter. If they are caged they are usually so happy to get out that they don't want to be held for a few minutes and just want to run around. Ask if you can sit with the ones you like for a few minutes to see what they are really like!

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know
But I dont wanna sound mean I really need a velcro kitty
im alone all day and i need a snugle buddy.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure the shelter has plenty

I always fall in love with the ones with problems and turn them into velcro kitties

You could also ask if they need any help, I know when I started working at our humane society they really needed someone to come in and take photos and just sit with the cats so they had human company.

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm I'm not even to leave my neighborhood half the time..... But I wish I could do that.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, a shoulder rider! That means he likes to be high up... but also very close to humans. We've had that kind of cat come into the shelter. Just be aware that as they grow up, they dont give it up and they can get heavy!!

I am sure that whichever cat you pick, he/she will be one lucky feline!

Good luck!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so hoping you find just the right friend for you. It's true the kitties are often a bit different in the shelter than they are at home, so just be patient. But, I've noticed my male is much more a snuggle buddy than my female. I love them both, but he's my lap cat, and the one who will snuggle up to me, especially when it's nippy outside.

And bless you for finding a home for the puppy - your family seems to have such warm hearts, I'm sure the right kitty will adopt you!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww he is so pretty! My neice, who is 13, volunteers as part of her schooling with the local humane society. She goes once a week. The HS has the young people work with the older animals who don't get as much attention as the babies. Its good for the people and the cats and dogs just love it

Do you have a camera? I have found I love taking pictures of my kits
Sending lots of happy adoption vibes!