The " Gonna Be Wed " Thread!

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so excited you started this thread Amy!! This is going to be a big year for a lot of us (those of us who are engaged and those still waiting...)

I just got engaged this summer myself and Brendan and I are getting married next July 2, 2006 in Williamsburg VA. Just a sidenot to KatieLV -- I waited and waited and waited for my ring and Brendan and I did start doing some of our planning before the ring and proposal actually came! It made things much easier once he popped the question.

So far we have figured out that we will be getting married in a small chapel in the Wren Building on the College of William and Mary campus (I went to school there). Our reception will be at the Williamsburg Inn (I am sure I get get some pictures up of the place later). We have also booked our photographer and took engagement pictures back in Sept. Some of you may have seen the thread with our pics.

I am absolutely loving being engaged and planning. To the brides to be: Any ideas on colors or themes you want? Big or Small wedding?

I can't wait to keep swapping ideas with ya'll!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beryl, you make a great point about doing a bit of planning before you're actually engaged. I did not own a single bridal magazine until Nov. 4th (the day after Bradley proposed), though now I wish I did. I had NO IDEA how much stuff would be involved in planning a wedding, so in hindsight I wish I had done at least a bit of looking (other than the unavoidable daydreaming) beforehand.

Our colors are going to be fall-ish. I'm thinking mulberry for the bridesmaids (a deep purple-red, a very flattering color) and incorporating shades of yellow/gold, burnt orange, and deep red in the flowers. But that's about as far as I've gotten so far!
One of my matrons of honor is doing a great job of helping me find bridesmaids dresses. I'm picking the color and then allowing all 4 of my girls to pick which dress style they like the most. The matron of honor who is helping me with this process is hoping to be pregnant by next Oct., so we're looking for maternity dresses for her.

Our wedding size will be about 120-150 people! Kinda big, but we know too many people that are going on the A-list!

What are you brides-to-be doing for centerpieces and favors? Those are the things I'm most clueless about right now.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

Here are my plans so far: Our date is Oct. 7th, 2006.
Congrats!! I got married in Oct of last year and October is a wonderful month to get married in!!

katielv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by berylayn

Just a sidenot to KatieLV -- I waited and waited and waited for my ring and Brendan and I did start doing some of our planning before the ring and proposal actually came! It made things much easier once he popped the question.
I just feel a little stupid when I'm talking about the wedding and everybody thinks "Hold on they're not engaged, what is this maniac talking about". For me it really doesn't matter. All that matters is we are getting married and we'll be a family. I call him hubby all the time. He says that he knows when and where he'll propose but I still don't know when. The mistery is still there.

We are having small wedding (30 people). It's a July wedding so the colors will be pale green (celadon), lavender (light). I'm thinking lavender and green bouquets will look lovely.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alaynna

Congrats!! I got married in Oct of last year and October is a wonderful month to get married in!!
If you don't mind my asking, what were your colors? Did you incorporate any fall elements into your wedding?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom2SalemIsis

OK well i don't think I fint in this thread any longer lol seeing how Charlie and I got married lastnight under a full moon. it was chilly yes but worth every minute of it. we had a very simple wedding with just me him the preacher and the 2 people that have known us from the moment we met to present. it was wonderful it was exciting too because we did it secretly no on (well except you guys) knows its thrilling. I have been waiting 10 years to marry this man,,, my soul mate... i couldn't be happier. congrats and good luck to the rest of you.
Congratulations!!!! How exciting for you! It really is special once the actual deed is done, isn't it?

Congratulations to all of the brides-to-be too, whether it be a couple weeks away or a year away (or anywhere in between or longer still).

Actually, our fifth anniverary is today. I had always wanted a winter wedding, and although I didn't get the dress of my dreams it was still gorgeous. Actually a lot of what we had dreamed of didn't happen, but it was a wonderful day and evening, lots of fun, and we ended up being married and that really is the MOST important!

The one thing I would advise is to ASK for help from the women in your life. From beginning to end. You can't do it alone. OK, you CAN, and I mostly DID, which is why I recommend this. Earl helped as much as he could, and he did want to be involved...but it's not the same with a guy.
It's hard to do the planning alone, and I'm sure it's a lot more fun to have someone there to help everywhere along the way.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Anniversary Heidi and Earl!

Heidi, you bring up an excellent point about asking for help from the ladies. I've had so much help so far from my mom, her friends, and my bridal party- it's been wonderful and so helpful. Plus, it helps to have a fiancè who wants to be active in the planning as well!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a beautiful dress!

Congrats to everyone on your up coming weddings. I was married 18yrs ago Oct 9th. My colors we a deep royal and lt blues. Just remember to have fun. Don't let the stress take away the fun of planning your wedding.

I have been tossing around the ideal of renewing our vows on our 20th anniversary. I would love to do it on the beach.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

If you don't mind my asking, what were your colors? Did you incorporate any fall elements into your wedding?
No, I didn't have any fall colors in my wedding. My bridesmaid dresses were Perriwinkle Blue, and the flowers were blue, white, and a darker pink. My church would not have gone well with the fall colors, But I think that fall colors are very pretty.

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amy, I absolutely love that dress! I bought my dress from a small bridal shop from Williamsburg. The dress I bought was the first one the shop owner pulled off the rack when I described my dream dress!! Of course she made me try on like 12 others to keep my in agony. The best part is the dress fit perfectly. I bought it off the rack and will need minor alternations cause I'm too short. Here is a picture of the dress:

How many Attendents will you have Amy? My sister is my only attendant. I want her to wear a sage colored dress but at the moment she is complaining about the color.
I think we're going dress shopping this weekend so we'll see if she changes her mind.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you don't mind a married lady crashing your party in here.
I got married in July '04, after planning for a year and a half. I got married in San Diego, but if you're interested in some [unsolicited
] advice most of it will apply no matter where you live.

Establish a support system. This is especially important for anyone who does not have a lot of family/friends nearby. I found it on a local wedding message board, which turned out to be a lifesaver...and I made a lot of friends online that I now hang out with in real life!

Even if you can't afford/don't want a professional videographer, ask someone to tape at least the ceremony for you. The day will go by in a huge blur and will suddenly be all over. You'll want to relive it. My boss asked her sister-in-law to tape our ceremony and part of the reception for us, which we greatly appreciated. We've only watched it once, but are so glad we have it.

If you can get a wedding coordinator it can be an enormous help. I had a day-of coordinator who handled everything that came up - and stuff did come up even though everything was extremely organized prior to the actual wedding. Having a professional there allowed all of our guests to enjoy our day with us rather than Aunt Sue, Best Friend Kate, or Mom running around trying to make decisions and solve problems. We only had 65 guests and had our ceremony and reception at the same location, but there were catering issues that arose (not to mention my brother-in-law/best man forgot his speech at the hotel!) and my coordinator was able to put out all those fires without us even knowing there was a glitch!

Don't get hung up on the small details! No one will notice if your invitations, table linens, and ribbons on your favors aren't all the exact same shade of red.
Don't let the Bridezilla in you take over.

Enjoy your special day and make sure you carve out time for you and your new husband to be together during the reception. You'd be surprised at how easily the bride and groom can get separated during the event! Step back together and enjoy the moment!

I reviewed my wedding vendors here , as well as posted some tips and photos. If you're interested feel free to take a peek.
I'm so excited for you all!

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
berylayn, I love the dress you chose! The back is beautiful - simple and lovely.

ugaimes, I had a David's dress too! The one you posted a link to is very pretty.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello All!!

It's so funny just yesterday morning I saw this thread and thought "I wonder when Jeff is going to ask me!"...little did I know it would be that afternoon!

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's ideas and stories
oh this is so girly and so much fun!!

blueberrybeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

That looks so pretty
Congratulations, y'all!! Planning a wedding can be quite a bit of fun, and some stress! I'm not much of an expert on planning, though, since my wedding was very very small and I actually wasn't too excited about planning.

Let me tell you what was exciting, however - we got married a year ago in HAWAII. There are resorts there that will handle just about everything, and it doesn't cost much. We had our parents there, and then we had a reception in my hometown in January of '05.

I got to order Proteas from Hawaii for my reception - I did the flowers, each place had a small vase with a HUGE flower in it!

Oh also - If anyone wants thier wedding jewelry made for them, I am a jewelry maker - mostly with beads, natural materials, and wire. But, the sky is the limit! PM me if interested.

Have fun!
Beth

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Awww, I'm so happy for you guys!!

Now, if only we could get Ian to propose...

But I think it's coming, for the following reasons:
1. He made me sign a contract saying that I will own no more than 6 cats at a time.
2. He got a big $1500 bonus from work and I was like 'Oh, yay, now you can get the new computer you've been wanting!' and he said 'I have other plans for it.' and then absolutely would not tell me what it was for. He finally told me he was going to pay of credit card debt, when I KNOW he doesn't have that much debt.
3. He is trying to discreetly find out my ring size. Only, not as discreetly as he may think he is

So...maybe this year!

Anyway, sorry to interrupt your thread. Back to planning!

Also, Amy, your location is Beeeeeeeaaauutiful!
Oh I'd have to say it's comming!!! If not....well I don't know what, but It sure sounds like it's comming!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

Hello All!!

It's so funny just yesterday morning I saw this thread and thought "I wonder when Jeff is going to ask me!"...little did I know it would be that afternoon!

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's ideas and stories
oh this is so girly and so much fun!!
Woahhh....did I miss that announcement or is this the first your telling us!?! Congratulations!

Wedding planning is sooooo much fun! Reading all this makes me want to get married again!