The Finally On Time Question Of The Day, Wednesday, October 4, 2017

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Horses would be second for me. As a teenager, I had a horse and loved it. As a companion animal, dogs would come in next.
Or you can get a miniature horse. When my son was 2 I would constantly find the horse in the living room. "But he likes this show mamma"
Don't ever get between a cow and her calf or the whole herd will reduce you to a grease spot
But I wanted a selfie. :lol:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Margret, how in the world did you find this? It's terrific! We had a giant Habitrail that formed a huge multi-tiered square. We didn't have the hole to fill our place with hamsters, but they did about the same with their reproduction. We thought we had five males. We were 60% wrong. Average litter was 14. We had about one litter a week until the territorial females killed the males. Then they set about killing one another. We finally separated the last 21.
I'm a filker (Filk music - Wikipedia), and this is from a filk album which I've owned for years. My main problem finding it on YouTube was remembering the name of the song; I kept searching on "Walter the hamster" and not finding it :lol:.

Many years ago a filker named Kathy Mar came out with a very serious, sticky-sweet filk song called "Velveteen," about (of course) The Velveteen Rabbit. Here in Denver we first heard it when Kathy played it for us at MileHiCon one year, the same week, as it happens, that a reporter from Colorado Springs had come to Denver to interview filkers about this living folk music tradition, and we had gotten him to come to the con. So, shortly after Kathy had played and sung "Velveteen" for us (a performance which the reporter happened to miss) we had the filk concert, and one of our people had obviously been aware of "Velveteen" in advance because he'd come prepared. "Velveteen" was practically begging for a parody (a very important tradition in filk is to parody the best filks other people write) and a truly twisted filker named Bob Kanefsky had come up with one ("truly twisted" is a compliment for a filker). It's the dirtiest song I've ever encountered, totally unfit for posting on this site, and it's an extremely close parody, which makes it incredibly hilarious, but only if you've heard the original. And none of us had heard it before. We were laughing so hard we were practically rolling on the floor.

A week or so later the reporter's story was published. In general, it was an excellent story; he'd taken the time to interview a lot of us and he got it right. But you could practically hear the bewilderment in his voice when he talked about how all these nice people seemed to think that this really dirty song was just funny, poor man.

Other filk that you might enjoy:
http://www.hwaet.org/Catmp3s/TodayIsTheDay.mp3
http://www.hwaet.org/Catmp3s/ThatKindOfMouse.mp3

"Ship of Stone" is the first song I ever transcribed from a tape, some time in the late '80s I think. IMO it's one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

Margret

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a filker (Filk music - Wikipedia), and this is from a filk album which I've owned for years. My main problem finding it on YouTube was remembering the name of the song; I kept searching on "Walter the hamster" and not finding it :lol:.

Many years ago a filker named Kathy Mar came out with a very serious, sticky-sweet filk song called "Velveteen," about (of course) The Velveteen Rabbit. Here in Denver we first heard it when Kathy played it for us at MileHiCon one year, the same week, as it happens, that a reporter from Colorado Springs had come to Denver to interview filkers about this living folk music tradition, and we had gotten him to come to the con. So, shortly after Kathy had played and sung "Velveteen" for us (a performance which the reporter happened to miss) we had the filk concert, and one of our people had obviously been aware of "Velveteen" in advance because he'd come prepared. "Velveteen" was practically begging for a parody (a very important tradition in filk is to parody the best filks other people write) and a truly twisted filker named Bob Kanefsky had come up with one ("truly twisted" is a compliment for a filker). It's the dirtiest song I've ever encountered, totally unfit for posting on this site, and it's an extremely close parody, which makes it incredibly hilarious, but only if you've heard the original. And none of us had heard it before. We were laughing so hard we were practically rolling on the floor.

A week or so later the reporter's story was published. In general, it was an excellent story; he'd taken the time to interview a lot of us and he got it right. But you could practically hear the bewilderment in his voice when he talked about how all these nice people seemed to think that this really dirty song was just funny, poor man.

Other filk that you might enjoy:
http://www.hwaet.org/Catmp3s/TodayIsTheDay.mp3
http://www.hwaet.org/Catmp3s/ThatKindOfMouse.mp3

"Ship of Stone" is the first song I ever transcribed from a tape, some time in the late '80s I think. IMO it's one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

Margret
Those are terrific, Margret. I really enjoyed them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, "Ship of Stone" has given me serious shivers.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
LOL, that's terrific. "Who knows what would have happened if they hadn't all been male" :flail:

I like skunks! I want a pet skunk someday. Pet-bred, of course. They even have different colors now. . .

But I like wild skunks too. And foxes. I had a family of foxes living under my shed one year. They haven't been back though, idk why.
Skunks are so pretty, aren't they? And foxes are beautiful.