The Finally On Time Question Of The Day, Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, I'm hear. Nobody faint!

I'm thinking I am actually fairly safe in assuming that everone here's favorite animal is a cat, or at least a tie between a cat and a (insert name of critter here).

So, what is your SECOND favorite (and your tie for first, if there is one) animal?

My problem is that I have three that come in at #2, and which one might edge out the others on any given day depends on where my mind and my mood is. But those three are:

!. The horse. I mean, who can resist such total beauty and grace?

or

2. Ratties...I know, I know, but I got over the tail-horror a LONG time ago, and became enchanted with these entrancing little bundles of personality.

OR

3. Bats. I'm just bats about bat. I find them endlessly fascinating, and can't quite explain why. If they made suitable pets, I'd have a couple, but they, like ALL non-domesticated animals, are better admired from afar.

BEHOLD THE FEARSOME CREATURE OF THE NIGHT!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Horses for me too.

:wave3:

Because they are so beautiful and they go so fast and they hardly ever have a stomping great hissy fit and fling you onto the ground (Well, OK, maybe they do that a few times but it was probably your own fault for annoying them) and because even when you do fall off they usually stick around and wait for you to get back on again.

Can I share a few pictures of the horses I ride?

Horses15.JPG
Horses23.JPG
Horses26.JPG
Horses20.JPG

The last one is a foal born at the stables this spring.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Dogs. I've always considered myself a "dog person", probably because I grew up with both (plus assorted rodents and reptiles), but there have been far more dogs in my life than cats. I'd love to have a dog again, but so far my husband is resisting. He's perfectly content with "just" a cat, although he used to say he preferred dogs

I love all animals, but don't like to see them kept in cages, which rules out most small ones.

melonie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
fish! :fish:

fish were the only pet i was allowed for a long time until my mom finally considered my pleas for a cat. after having so many, i grew to love them and love taking care of them, bettas especially!

( my current boy, killian! )

bettas have such interesting personalities and i love having them, even if they are "just fish". fish or not, every animal deserves to be taken care of properly and every animal deserves a chance. fish are treated very poorly in shops, i can't help but want to take them all home!

they really do have so many quirks and varied personalities. my first boy, alpha, was very calm. he was a mellow jell-o and he was pretty too! my second boy, ender, was very skittish and meek. my third, salem, was pretty aggressive and territorial. my fourth, jojo, was the same way. and killian, my current, is territorial as well but not in the same way.

he has this quirk where he swims in circles alongside the wall of his tank - he did it in his cup at the shop (it was more of a glass box kind of cup) and he does it now in his big 10 gallon tank. i think it's the cutest :kiss:

fish are great! my cat loves watching them too. luckily, the tank has a lid so he can't get in there and the fish ignore him completely. it's a win-win for everyone. :clap:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Great pictures everybody!

The lion. Specifically the male lion. There's something about the way a male lion is lying on the ground. So majestic, so regal. His mane is gorgeous. His body is so sleek, yet muscular. Those golden eyes. Stunning. He is truly the King.

If we ever get another dog (and believe me, that's a big if!!!), it would be an Alaskan Malemute. I got one as a puppy many years ago and oh, how I loved that dog. He was crazy, he was very loving and he was very protective of both our son and me. He died of cancer when he was seven years old. Greatest dog ever. He was magnificent.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great pictures everybody!

The lion. Specifically the male lion. There's something about the way a male lion is lying on the ground. So majestic, so regal. His mane is gorgeous. His body is so sleek, yet muscular. Those golden eyes. Stunning. He is truly the King.

If we ever get another dog (and believe me, that's a big if!!!), it would be an Alaskan Malemute. I got one as a puppy many years ago and oh, how I loved that dog. He was crazy, he was very loving and he was very protective of both our son and me. He died of cancer when he was seven years old. Greatest dog ever. He was magnificent.
Lions really are magnificent. All the big cats are but we might be prejudiced. After all, they are just large versions of our catkids. :lol:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have to say donkeys. There is one who lives in the horse pasture across the road from us. He loved to be petted and will run the horses off to get all the attention.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Lions really are magnificent. All the big cats are but we might be prejudiced. After all, they are just large versions of our catkids. :lol:
I have always been confused by the naming of "big cat" and "small cat". A cougar is a small cat but could have a clouded leopard, a big cat, for lunch.

Animal I like almost as much as cats? Hamsters, but they die way too quick. That's why I stopped buying them. Tropical fish, but I move too often to feel comfortable setting up a tank. Goldfish, but their space requirements are way too big. Hermit crabs, though I couldn't keep the humidity high enough in my tank and he died pretty quickly, never tried one after that. Snakes definitely, they feel so good in your hands, but they are prima donnas in their needs.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dolphins. Specifically Commerson Dolphins. Went to Seaworld one year and sat by the Commerson. She never left my side, went everywhere I did. I sat with her next to me for an hour next to her and fell in love.

Also horses. Here's a picture of my favorite Arabian. Had him for 26 years and had to put him down due to cancer at 27 years old. He was my soulmate-horse. I miss him everyday.
It's a picture of a framed picture, so there is glare. Please excuse it. This was taken on his 20th birthday.
Ibn.JPG

If my scanner would work, I would show a picture of my Shire (17.2hh) touching noses with my miniature stallion (29"). He doesn't even come up to my shire's knee.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always been confused by the naming of "big cat" and "small cat". A cougar is a small cat but could have a clouded leopard, a big cat, for lunch.
Huh, I didn't know that. I definitely would have categorized a cougar as a big cat. I looked it up and I guess it's because cougars are closely related to housecats, in the family Felinae, and big cats are in the family Pantherinae. Cool.
Snakes definitely, they feel so good in your hands, but they are prima donnas in their needs.
Cornsnakes are very easy. Ball pythons, except for their winter eating disorders ;), are pretty easy too. There are definitely some species I wouldn't attempt though. Too delicate!

I love all animals :D.

I've had almost every kind of pet. I have decided no more mice (stinky!), rabbits, or ferrets (too high maintenance). I will always have dogs and cats. Besides the cats and dogs, I currently have a rabbit, a hamster, a Betta, and 3 ball pythons. I will probably get another hamster when she's gone, and I like having a Betta too. I won't get another rabbit. I like the snakes and might get more, idk. I want to get these guys fancier enclosures first. I very much enjoyed having a pet rat but they're more emotionally needy than hamsters, like small dogs. I enjoy having a larger fish tank but I don't want to deal with the maintenance right now. I love horses but probably won't ever get one.

As for wild animals, bats are very cool. Sea mammals like whales and dolphins are so awesome. Big cats are majestic.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are number one (of course) but there are lots of critters eyeing for number two. The first three that come to mind are goats, crows, and burrows. They all have such big personalities. I have known some very intelligent goats and crows but the burrows...well, I will just say they have been extremely sweet-natured and leave it at that. :)

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Cornsnakes are very easy. Ball pythons, except for their winter eating disorders ;), are pretty easy too. There are definitely some species I wouldn't attempt though. Too delicate!
Snake's mindset - "Hmm, a frightened mouse can really screw me up and cause enough physical damage that I need emergency surgery to the tune of hundreds of dollars, so a dead mouse is safer. But I don't care, I want it wiggling. And I will go on a hunger strike for up to a year if my owner persists in trying to get me to eat pre-kill." You know, even the most stubborn cat isn't that much of a diva when it comes to food.

Add in their ability to get out of a locked container with books on top weighing it down even more and how expensive the right lighting is, yeah that's getting near the prima donna stage.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Horses and dogs. I have actually had more dogs in my lifetime. I really don't care as much for the toy dogs because they tend to be hyper so when I moved back into an apartment I went with just cats. I know a lot of people have larger dogs in an apartment but I didn't want to deal with it.

I went through the thing that most girls do when they are around 10 or so with wanting a horse. I grew up on a farm and still never got a horse. As a kid my father farmed with horses and he was having no part of a horse, he actually preferred mules for farming. That is probably why I still love and long for a horse, I tried for two years before I finally gave up and there is a little part of me that still wants a horse.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snake's mindset - "Hmm, a frightened mouse can really screw me up and cause enough physical damage that I need emergency surgery to the tune of hundreds of dollars, so a dead mouse is safer. But I don't care, I want it wiggling. And I will go on a hunger strike for up to a year if my owner persists in trying to get me to eat pre-kill." You know, even the most stubborn cat isn't that much of a diva when it comes to food.

Add in their ability to get out of a locked container with books on top weighing it down even more and how expensive the right lighting is, yeah that's getting near the prima donna stage.
Haha, yeah, fortunately all of mine take pre-killed with no trouble. A friend's BP did refuse to eat for 8 months when he tried to switch, he finally gave in and feeds live. She has scars :/. What kind of snake did you have?

BPs and cornsnakes don't need UV lighting, and mine haven't gotten out of the standard aquarium screen top, taped down. Yet, lol. Neither has my brother's cornsnake. But I have heard stories. . .yikes!

I love all animals but the ones I like the best are:
1.Cats
2,Dogs
3,Turtles
Ah, I love turtles and tortoises, I forgot those guys! I used to have Russian tortoises but they all got some kind of illness and died :(. Tortoises don't usually show signs of illness until it's too late, sadly. Tortoises do need UV light, and that IS expensive!

Last edited: