The Exercise Motivation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester How is Ricks Mum today? That must have been an awful scare for her. You are a lovely daughter in law. I'm about to fold washing and then get onto my physio exercises.
Keep it up everybody!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, thanks, Tammat. She's OK....mad at herself for falling, more than anything. She called us, but we couldn't get her back up. She hit her head on the corner of the hutch and there was blood everywhere. Looked much worse than it was though; head injuries really bleed a lot. They called the ambulance and they got her to the hospital and she got a couple staples. She needs to see her family doctor tomorrow, just to make sure things are OK and Rick is taking off work to take her there.

Enjoy your physio!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
:eek: Glad she is OK, Pam! :hugs: Take care of yourself, Tammat and take it slow. :) :hugs:

walked 4 miles the day before yesterday after taking a bit of time off for it. Yesterday I did so many Thanksgiving prep errands that I didn't get to walk. I'll be headed out in a bit. It's freezing out there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
A little over 5 miles walked yesterday. It's pouring right now and I have a doctor's appt in about an hour. Aaron has taken the day off and I think we are headed off for the day. I doubt there will be a walk.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying hard to finally get exercise to be a true habit.  This is my 3rd week of doing at least 3x a week of at least 30 minutes on my recumbent stationary bike.  Yesterday was over 5 miles, 30 minutes, burned almost 200 calories.  I will use the bike again today, for my 4th time (I am shocked to find I like it, and have been riding 4-6x a week actually).

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying hard to finally get exercise to be a true habit.  This is my 3rd week of doing at least 3x a week of at least 30 minutes on my recumbent stationary bike.  Yesterday was over 5 miles, 30 minutes, burned almost 200 calories.  I will use the bike again today, for my 4th time (I am shocked to find I like it, and have been riding 4-6x a week actually).
WooHoo!!! Way to go Pat. It will get your metabolism revved up plus it will make you feel great which in my opinion is the best pay off. Keep it up girl. You are amazing:)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WooHoo!!! Way to go Pat. It will get your metabolism revved up plus it will make you feel great which in my opinion is the best pay off. Keep it up girl. You are amazing:)
TY!  I did use my stationary bike again today for a 4th time this week, 31 minutes, 5.2 miles.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Good for you, Pat! I think that's wonderful!

I took Friday and Saturday off walking as my knee was hurting a bit....not taking any chances anymore. If it starts to hurt, I stop for a couple of days.

2 miles on the treadmill this morning.

gatsunokisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oof, I really need help when it comes to this subject but goodness it is daunting.
I live rural and only have transportation half the week. Last week I did walk to the mailbox for the first time in months( I broke my ankle last March and recovery has been rough), the road is extremely uneven though and walking it with my ankle still very stiff was hard and exhausting. It was like walking across a low grade incline or ramp. There is no way I am yet prepared for taking walks down the road but we have some nature walks along the lake planned, nice flat area, and I get to the local track when my husband is home from work.
I have looked into chair exercise like chair marching and I have spoken with people who have had great success with it. I just need to shake my blues and decide to make time for it. I did a little while sitting at the VA during my husband's therapy session and felt a little silly but no one else even paid attention, of course they are used to people acting a little weird.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I can certainly understood your need for caution with that ankle, especially when it comes to walking.

One thing you could do....do you watch a lot of tv? The reason I'm asking that is because I read (somewhere) that people should get up during the commercials on tv and walk around or even walk in place. When the show comes back on, sit back down until the next commercial, then get up and walk around again until the tv show comes back on. You could start out by walking during every other commercial break, maybe for one hour-long program. Do that for a week or two, then try for two hour-long programs....or whatever shows you watch. 

It would be beautiful to walk on a nature trail along the lake! I wish we had something like that. We do have a Rails to Trails in town, but I won't drive into town just to walk. 

The trick is to do something. Even if it's just a little bit. You start very slowly and work on building yourself up. It won't happen overnight....it won't happen for a few months. But it will happen.

gatsunokisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I can certainly understood your need for caution with that ankle, especially when it comes to walking.

One thing you could do....do you watch a lot of tv? The reason I'm asking that is because I read (somewhere) that people should get up during the commercials on tv and walk around or even walk in place. When the show comes back on, sit back down until the next commercial, then get up and walk around again until the tv show comes back on. You could start out by walking during every other commercial break, maybe for one hour-long program. Do that for a week or two, then try for two hour-long programs....or whatever shows you watch. 

It would be beautiful to walk on a nature trail along the lake! I wish we had something like that. We do have a Rails to Trails in town, but I won't drive into town just to walk. 

The trick is to do something. Even if it's just a little bit. You start very slowly and work on building yourself up. It won't happen overnight....it won't happen for a few months. But it will happen.
OOO Thanks for the tip! I watch a little more tv than I should. I have a weakness for crime drama's but I hate commercials so I DVR and skip them. I will try this idea though!

I need to post some of the pictures of past walks when I am working from the laptop. We live very close to a lake and our favorite walking spot is about a 7 minute drive from home, an old road that was blocked off when the area was flooded on purpose in the 50's.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Used my bike again on Saturday (stationary recumbent bike) as I had more carbs for my reward meal than usual and despite the calories being just fine (under for the day), don't trust how my body handles carbs, so onto the bike..lol.

Need to do so again today, Sunday, as I had a nasty swing up.  I envy you folks who can eat bread (gluten free or not) and not have a swing up in weight.  sigh.  Don't yo-yo diet!!!  Trust me, it helped get me into this situation of a metabolism that is now challenged (I have metabolic syndrome).

But back to the theme - I really am enjoying hopping on the bike, reading or watching tv while I pedal.  Today ends 3 weeks of making a choice to get on that bike, and so far it's been 4 to 6 times per week.  Now...hopefully, I can say the same 3 months from now ;-)

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been MIA and haven't been working out like I should. My knee has been sore from having to handle a patient and I'd been busy with school. I admit that the break was nice and needed. Now to get back in the swing of things!

OOO Thanks for the tip! I watch a little more tv than I should. I have a weakness for crime drama's but I hate commercials so I DVR and skip them. I will try this idea though!

I need to post some of the pictures of past walks when I am working from the laptop. We live very close to a lake and our favorite walking spot is about a 7 minute drive from home, an old road that was blocked off when the area was flooded on purpose in the 50's.
What about crunches, pushups on your knees, etc? Do you have access to a pool? That's great for low impact exercise!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you, Pat! I think that's wonderful!

I took Friday and Saturday off walking as my knee was hurting a bit....not taking any chances anymore. If it starts to hurt, I stop for a couple of days.

2 miles on the treadmill this morning.
I'm sorry your knee hurts but I'm very proud of you for taking time off. I haven't exercised ( except my physio ) for a whole week now. It's killing me but I know I will be able to soon.

Welcome newcomers!!

gatsunokisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been MIA and haven't been working out like I should. My knee has been sore from having to handle a patient and I'd been busy with school. I admit that the break was nice and needed. Now to get back in the swing of things!
What about crunches, pushups on your knees, etc? Do you have access to a pool? That's great for low impact exercise!
I have considered doing crunches and leg exercises in the bed. The animals make it difficult to do anything which requires getting down to their level, hehe.
I need to work my calf muscles some more before I try doing knee pushups, that requires the muscle strength to lift my feet up while doing pushups. I did discover that my reclining sofa foot rest makes a great leg press!
We have no pool.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
2 miles on the elliptical this morning

2.5 miles walking during lunch

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walked 36:45 min today. Also did a bunch of scrubbing today!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Good job, Peaches!

2.5 miles on the elliptical this morning

2.5 very snowy miles over lunch (I'm cold....it's cold outside and the snow is blowing all around. I had my umbrella, but still got wet around my feet. Guess I'll have to dig my snow sneakers out!)

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good work everybody!!

I did 1/2 hr of yoga tonight. I didn't do any jumping into poses. I was such a good girl. That's my first workout after 7 days of resting except for my glute exercises from the physio. It was hot here today and that's when I love to run. It won't be long now. I just need to remember to work back into it slowly.

It's so hard for me to imagine living in snow. You are a brave lady to get out walking in it Winchester. Good for you. Well done.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Good job, Tammat.....take it easy for awhile!

It wasn't too bad out walking the other day. It would be a killer right now, though. We have that windy backlash from the storm and it's really nasty.

2.5 miles on the treadmill this morning. (I figured since it's Thanksgiving, I should try to get something, anything done today.)

Status
Not open for further replies.