The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2024

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been too worried thou exercise will help
Oh no, what's up?
Snow's all gone, but I'm keeping my shovel nearby, as we'll likely get more before spring arrives.
We have about 30 cm at the moment. At least me fence survived this year, the new toppers I made are much stronger and I only have a few little repairs that need doing in spring
Been doing stroller strides and a few walks to the park in nicer weather. I need to do better.
That's not bad! I think we'll all feel more motivated when it gets warmer.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having brain surgery. Even the neuropsychologist is involved. It hasn't been decided yet what they will do. I will be on loa for at least 3 weeks then recovery at my parents house
My mom wants to board my cats which I am very upset about. The rooms are only 4x4

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I am having brain surgery. Even the neuropsychologist is involved. It hasn't been decided yet what they will do. I will be on loa for at least 3 weeks then recovery at my parents house
My mom wants to board my cats which I am very upset about. The rooms are only 4x4
Any idea when maggie101 maggie101 ?
You know, it might be alright to board them.. at least you know that they will be well looked after, and they'll be together.. that's important. As long as there are your things in with them.. a blanket or whatever. I know it feels awful, but if no one is keen to look after them, it may be the safest and kindest thing to do.
The important thing is that it doesn't stress you out.. choose the option that allows you to get through this without fretting, or at least, the smallest amount of fretting possible.:hugs:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, yesterday I pushed the double stroller with the girls and the diaper bag to the park. I wore M for the majority of the park visit. Pushed them home. I was so exhausted. How am I so out of shape?

mister obama

don daleiden at my house...
Young Cat
Purraise
How's everyone doing?

I still haven't been able to go horse riding, there's too much snow around. Maybe in a few weeks.

:crossfingers:

I've been doing lots of long walks, I have big plans for this year's hiking season so I'm trying to build my stamina up. Lots of yoga too, aiming for 3 hours exercise every day.

And then there's shoveling snow and hauling fire wood. It's snowing again today, better get that shovel out.

View attachment 471843View attachment 471843View attachment 471843View attachment 471843View attachment 471843View attachment 471843View attachment 471843
Have you taken cats for a walk without a leash? I have a couple old neighbor gals that walk slow around our park and their cat follows them hiding under cars and in shrubbery as they go. two years now... at first I asked if they knew a cat was following them, she said yes that's ours.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I was so exhausted. How am I so out of shape?
Doesn't mean you're out of shape, just means you had a long walk with a heavy baby in your arms. I'm tired after my long walks and I don't carry any extra weight
Have you taken cats for a walk without a leash?
Yes, I used to take Little Boy out on walks around the lanes, but I stopped doing that. One of my neighbours got a large, out of control puppy and it got too dangerous to walk the cats. He's not a bad puppy, but my neighbour is elderly and has mobility issues so he doesn't get walked enough. He's a big dog that's bitten me a few times, so I don't want to take the risk.

I was planning a longer hike on Friday but the route I wanted to do was uphill and it's snowing (Still? Again? Perpetually?) So instead we drove about 40 minutes to a local sight seeing spot and walked around there. It's only a short distance from here, but it's downhill and towards the ocean so it was like travelling to another season. There was no snow, there were birds singing and flowers in bloom! Only about 90 minutes walk, but lots of steep slopes and long staircases.

Shiraito1 (1).JPG
Shiraito4.JPG
Shiraito10.JPG
Shiraito17.JPG

Playing on the swings counts as exercise too, right?
Shiraito16.JPG

2 hours slog through the snow and 30 minutes yoga on Saturday.
90 minutes yoga and an hour walk on Sunday.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's beautiful Norachan Norachan !

Stroller Strides got canceled again today, so after dropping J off at school, I took M on a stroller walk around the neighborhood there, which mapmyrun said was about a mile/25 minutes. Nothing as pretty as Japan scenery, but we did see an orange cat in a window, so that was exciting.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That waterfall is beautiful, Norachan Norachan . Hard to believe it looks like summer there, but still snow at your place.

I took M on a stroller walk around the neighborhood there, which mapmyrun said was about a mile/25 minutes. Nothing as pretty as Japan scenery, but we did see an orange cat in a window, so that was exciting.
I walked 25 minutes today too, but while you and M were stopping to check out scenery, and cats, I was power walking, and covered 1.46 miles. I'm sure part of the reason I was walking so fast was that it was freezing. :cold:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I finally got to go horse riding on Friday. There still a lot of snow around so we just went for a 90 minute ride in the forest.

Horses147.jpg

But the best thing was we were able to go for an onsen after horse riding. One of the local places has started doing "Tattoo OK" afternoons a few times a week. I'm not usually allowed in public onsen, but on Friday I could use the indoor baths, the outdoor baths and the steam room. Such a nice way to recover from a ride.

Just 30 minutes yoga yesterday and 90 minutes yoga today. Aiming to get out for a walk tomorrow.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a body weight training workout wear you go strait down then stand up. 6 reps 20 secs alternate with dirty dog with kickoff. Last 4 exercises not as hard on the legs. Then I started to do a total body and fell down when trying to do a simple squat!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been doing lots of long walks in the snow, but I'm happy to say it's nearly all gone now. The sun is out and it's warm enough to have the windows open. Next big outdoor task is repairing all the bits of snow damaged fence.

90 minutes walk and one hour of yoga on Thursday.
One hour walk and one hour of yardwork yesterday.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
90 minute walk and 30 minutes of yoga on Saturday.
4 hours of yardwork and 30 minutes of very gentle yoga on Sunday.
One hour of yoga yesterday.
90 minutes yoga and one hour of yardwork today.

I've been spring cleaning my outdoor cats' luxury mansion. It was still very dry inside and all of the straw smells fresh. It held up really well over the winter.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How's everyone doing this month?

Most of my exercise has been yard work, but I've been trying to do at least 30 minutes yoga every day too. Yard is looking much better now and it's about time to plant some spring flowers. 45 minutes walk and an hour of yoga today.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No walking to report from me. But finally we've got some nice weather, so I've started raking the yard and cleaning up the leaves and branches that accumulated over the winter. Feels good being outside again, without needing a hat and gloves. Though I am wearing gardening gloves. ;)

mister obama

don daleiden at my house...
Young Cat
Purraise
How's everyone doing this month?

Most of my exercise has been yard work, but I've been trying to do at least 30 minutes yoga every day too. Yard is looking much better now and it's about time to plant some spring flowers. 45 minutes walk and an hour of yoga today.
We've had yoga on the beach here in Veniceflorida, the yoga instructor is such a fun gal that her morning visitors sometime number over a hundred, all happy to contribute tips because it's on public property and she can't charge a fee....

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We've had yoga on the beach here in Veniceflorida, the yoga instructor is such a fun gal that her morning visitors sometime number over a hundred, all happy to contribute tips because it's on public property and she can't charge a fee....
That sounds fun. Do you ever join in?