The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
No exercise so far...apart from walking up the hill into town (maybe 15-20mins mostly steep hills), and walking round the nearest city a little looking for my bank (couldn't find it - wasn't where I thought it was
).

....unless sitting and rocking half the day counts as exercise.....

REALLY want to go running right now....or walk to the gym (20mins up and down hills), join and do a ton of cardio....

Do I want to risk being crippled tomorrow or not....
take it nice and easy... the walking is exercise!!! The rocking, in my opinion, is exercise also.. You are using your knee muscles...
  (I sit in a rocker constantly.. it is a rocker/recliner~~ love it)

If you are getting itchy for the gym, you have to weigh out the pros and cons.. membership price, how often you will use it.. If it has yoga classes, or a certified trainer who can help you. If it is just for the treadmill, then I would think twice about it. You would get enough exercise just walking around to and from town and to and from the gym..Will you be able to work out at the gym, PLUS walk home? in the same episode, without thoroughly resting?

Not to be negative, but wanting just point out some things to think about. When the weather is bad, can you get a ride (car) to and from the gym? or is that when your fibro is worse and you would be staying home??

((hugs))  What ever you decide, just go do it!! 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 hours 45 minutes clearing firewood storage, building elevated base and finally cutting some firewood into "new" firewood storage, there is many hours left until it is ready for winter.

Then I did go for 2 hour bike ride after 9 pm, so it was nice and quiet, 35km and very steep hills on gravel roads.

That is almost 5 hours of exercise for today, but clearing firewood storage was not very hard exercise really, got bit sweat out of me though, bike ride on other hand was quite hard, shirt got so wet that it was literally dripping sweat when I came back home and it was just 15 C out there.

Tracker says that got over 28 000 steps and destroyed 4400 calories today, not the toughest day, but got almost 9 hours active time and being on the move almost all the time of day kind of feels in my body.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got some 7,000 steps from plodding on the treadmill. I have almost 24,000 steps so far today
I ran through the basic poses I learned in yoga class. Leroy watched for awhile from his hammock before zooming off... right under me as I was in cow pose

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woo!! :woohoo: great exercising people :woohoo:

I did my shoulders heavy and bi and tris light with a Rohan today. He was impressed with my efforts and so was I. It's 9 hrs later and my shoulders are still burning. No cardio today.
Keep going everybody.
Norachan Norachan Good luck finding Gin. He is making you exercise :lol3: We haven't heard about Miss Sophie lately. She must have had enough adventures ;)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Woo!!
great exercising people

I did my shoulders heavy and bi and tris light with a Rohan today. He was impressed with my efforts and so was I. It's 9 hrs later and my shoulders are still burning. No cardio today.
Keep going everybody.
@Norachan Good luck finding Gin. He is making you exercise
We haven't heard about Miss Sophie lately. She must have had enough adventures
Sophie has been very well behaved lately, no escape attempts at all. Gin is her father, that's where she gets her wandering genes from.

Walked for an hour this morning and then an hour again this evening, looking for Gin. Little Boy came with me on the evening walk so he could get some exercise too.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan, I hope you can find Gin....or he finds his way back home.

I did all my exercises last night.

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning. I kept the speed right around 3.5 to 3.6 mph, nothing real fast.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I haven't done any exercise-got to hit the gym tonight. I should have yesterday but I just wanted to go home. I forgot my gym clothes but I think I have a pair of sweats in the back of the truck but I don't wear jeans so they probably wont throw me out-as I only own black slacks kahki type pants-the gym doesn't allow blue jeans but I have seen older guys walking on the treadmill in jean shorts so I doubt they will say anything to me. I plan on getting on the stair elliptical and watching judge Judy then maybe do a quick sprint on the treadmill. I really need to get back into the gym especially this week as I feel so much better when I break a sweat. Going to really try hard to do something at lunchtime but its supposed to be 90 today and its so hard for me to move around when its this hot. I hate to say it but I cant WAIT until October when I can finally spend time outside without my chest feeling like an elephant is sitting on it.

Good job everyone!!

This morning I am doing calf raises with 10lbs. That will be the one thing I can do standing here at work.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my legs heavy today. We taught girls to do backflips at gymnastics tonight. It was so exciting for me :clap: it's like a weight lifting session. Some of the teenage girls are much bigger than me.
I missed the Olympic gymnastics :sigh: and I just watched some team USA repeats but the sound wasn't working. It's not the same when you can't hear it.
How's about Micheal Phelps?? Wow he is so awesome. Imagine how fit he must be.
Keep going everybody :clap:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Did all my exercises last night.

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

I'm thinking about taking the weekend off the treadmill. I've been walking every day since June 17th and, well, I think I need a day or two away from walking. My leg/butt is bothering me and the last couple days, it was all I could do to get that last 1/2 mile in. I think it would be different if I could walk outside for a day or two, just to get me off the treadmill, but with the temps the way they are and our intense humidity, I'm not going there. I'll finish out the work week on the treadmill, but I may take Saturday and/or Sunday off. (Then again, I may start to feel better by then, too. We'll see.)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes there are many things you can do. going to post a link that shows you how to do the exercises.

http://purelytwins.com/2013/03/11/purely-fit-workout-1-strong-sexy-arms/

For me personally I do chest press on the weight machine at the gym and standing chest press where you push the weights over your head.

Basicly any  exercise where you raise and lower your arms either straight out in front of you or out to your sides shoulder height will help.

You can start with small weights if you are a beginner like 3 lbs or if you already are working out 5lbs are a good starting point. I find that my arms shake if I use anything over 10 lbs for single arm lifts so I stick with 5 or 8 lbs. a pair of dumbbells come in handy.

are four examples.

Here are what I do but I don't have a balance ball. but you can sit in a chair or stand up. I do these standing-then when I press up and come down I go into a squat. So I can do two exercises in one.

yesterday I did some housework scrubbing out catboxes and sweating while carrying the dirty water outside to dump. then at lunchtime I did some light jogging. Hope to do more today. I think I will do these exercises above today on my break. Get back into it.

Next week I will start swimming but its only because we will be where there is a lake if the water isn't too low from no rain. otherwise I will be doing a ton of walking.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I did an hour of yoga, 30 minutes on my bike and then an hour of walking yesterday.

Got up early this morning and walked for an hour, trying to find my missing cat. The trouble is that Obon starts today, the week long summer vacation in Japan. Lots of people are back to make use of their holiday cottages so what's usually a totally deserted area is suddenly full of cars and people and dogs and noisy little kids. Enough to make any cat go into hiding.

I'm trying to be sociable and say good morning to people, but I really prefer it when I have the whole forest to myself.

Planning on doing a lot of gardening this afternoon, then another walk when it gets dark.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my chest heavy and back light today with Rohan. Oh and I also did 10 mins of cardio in the morning.
Keep going everybody. Except Winchester. Have the weekend off. You deserve it and your body deserves it and don't you dare feel guilty. :hugs:
Norachan you make me smile :D

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Did my upper body exercises, squats and lunges and those PT stretches last night (I think I twisted my neck....can't even move my head to the right much at all)

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning

Thanks, Tammat.....I'll see how I feel come this weekend. I think part of it is that it's so stinking muggy everywhere and it's just getting impossible to deal with the humidity anymore. Even our basement, which is normally cooler than the house, is insanely sticky. I come up from the treadmill and I can wring my shirt out....and the sweat is just running down my face, my neck, dripping out of my hair. I really hate sweating. It's ridiculous at this point. I take a shower and as I'm drying off I can feel myself start to sweat. Ick. Just ick. (And I know that in another 3 months or so, I'll be screaming about the cold weather!)

People, keep it up.....we can do this! You know we can! 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did my upper body exercises, squats and lunges and those PT stretches last night (I think I twisted my neck....can't even move my head to the right much at all)
3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning

Thanks, Tammat.....I'll see how I feel come this weekend. I think part of it is that it's so stinking muggy everywhere and it's just getting impossible to deal with the humidity anymore. Even our basement, which is normally cooler than the house, is insanely sticky. I come up from the treadmill and I can wring my shirt out....and the sweat is just running down my face, my neck, dripping out of my hair. I really hate sweating. It's ridiculous at this point. I take a shower and as I'm drying off I can feel myself start to sweat. Ick. Just ick. (And I know that in another 3 months or so, I'll be screaming about the cold weather!)

People, keep it up.....we can do this! You know we can! :clap:
Hmm, maybe this will help:
Every bit of sweat is bit of less weight, it is gram by gram weight dripping off :)

Yesterday I did almost 3 hours and 30 minutes of chopping and cutting of firewood, also tossed them into firewood storage, also did 20 minute run after that.

Today I just rode scooter in a rain, tracker got about 6000 steps from that, which I think should not count towards my daily goal :)

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got up extra early and did biceps heavy and shoulders light. I ran out of time to do my triceps. I'm busy all day so I may have to do them late. I don't like training late :(

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Today was my day off.

I got up at 5 this morning and walked for an hour, hoping to catch sight of my missing cat before every one else was up. No luck I'm afraid.

This afternoon I went horse riding for 90 minutes.

I rode a new horse today, Momoka. She was wonderful, I'm totally smitten with her. She's a pacer and she knows how to neck rein. @Columbine  will appreciate that. We had such a nice ride. At one point we were cantering through the woods and a group of deer grazing in the forest took off and cantered along side us.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of her. Have to take some next time.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Hmm, maybe this will help:
Every bit of sweat is bit of less weight, it is gram by gram weight dripping off

Yesterday I did almost 3 hours and 30 minutes of chopping and cutting of firewood, also tossed them into firewood storage, also did 20 minute run after that.

Today I just rode scooter in a rain, tracker got about 6000 steps from that, which I think should not count towards my daily goal
That's one way to look at it, I guess! I did think of your post this morning
, when I was on the treadmill and wiping my face and neck with the tail of my t-shirt! I was really sweating again this morning. Sweat is a good thing. I understand that. I just don't like doing it! 

3.5 miles on the treadmill. Finished up at 4.5 mph for the last mile. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Walked the two miles as usual this morning. But is wasn't really as usual because a black bear came out of the woods and crossed the road in front of us. He was a small bear, about 150 lbs. It was still close and we quickly turned around. A few minutes later, we met a couple on bikes. We didn't tell them and they went whizzing on. It was a bit too close for comfort. I really started sweating then. :lol3:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
doing my lunchtime jam. jogged in place for 15 minutes and finishing off with arm exercises. Got to get back into shape. I miss the gym. This heat makes it very hard for me to breathe but at work is stone cold AC and its the only way I can do it. the gym is not cold enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.