The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

How are you doing this morning, Foxxycat? 

Columbine, I'm sorry. I hope you feel better.

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

I walked 107.25 miles in July.
I feel ok. Still upset but glad its over. I miss her and mad at myself for not doing it sooner but the peace is slowly settling in. I can look at her pictures and smile with tears. I have some I took a few hours before I let her go. She didn't look sick to me but I could see it in her eyes that she was telling me mom I am ready to go to the Bridge. Then a few tears. I am tired all the time and slept ok last night. 10 to 4:45 which is amazing for me. I usually wake up every 2 hours. I have my appetite back so I need to be careful. I packed my sneakers in my gym bag today and I plan on walking a mile on the treadmill after work. Tonight is free food at the gym so I will have a treat and then do some slow exercise. I wont be doing any marathons just enough to work back into it. I really miss working out. but just don't have the energy.

I will be kind to myself this week.

We leave for vaca on aug 14 and so much for planning on dropping the weight. this is the first summer in 5 years that I am still in a size 14 but what are you going to do? I am going to put on my swim suit and get in the water and to heck with the people who frown down on not so perfect bodies. I am going to raise my chin and dare anyone to say anything rude to me. I may be fat but I still can lift fairly heavy. So I keep reminding myself that muscles weigh more than fat and stop comparing myself to the perfect people we see daily on the tv and out in real life.

So maybe I will try dancing at lunchtime. Now that I am eating maybe I wont get dizzy spells or whatnot.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That mileage is not from my Fitbit, JTbo; my Fitbit has me logged on for way more miles than that. That mileage is strictly from my treadmill. Anything from my Fitbit is over and above that 107.25 miles. So that doesn't include any housework, any gardening, any walking at the grocery store, at the mall, or any other form of exercise. That is strictly the treadmill.  

I am working on getting 10,000,000 steps....that's from my Fitbit.
I know, it is really lot of walking :D

I went out for a run/walk with nordic walking sticks and that gave me 6500 steps more for today, just 3.5 miles, I doubt I will ever be able to that daily, I need to be careful about overtraining (so that I don't hit the wall again) and doing lot of bicycling reduces amount of running I can do.

Anyway it was really slow, I had that bike ride before and it took me 47 minutes to run/walk that 3.5 miles, it was lot slower than usual, but I just didn't have it, run out of air all the time.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here it says that reloading muscle's energy storages takes at least 20 hours:
http://thesportjournal.org/article/glycogen-replenishment-after-exhaustive-exercise/

There is also mentioning of 2 hour window after exercise where eaten carbs get to muscle fastest.

Another good point was that too much carbs is not speeding it up, 50 grams every 2 hours was mentioned being optimal. Total amount of glycogen could be 450 to 550 grams in body, but also it was mentioned that when athlete is exhausted not all of that is gone, so one don't need to eat close to 500 grams of carbs.

Too much carbs tends to end up on waist instead of muscle, so it is nice to get some guidelines from the article.

Has anyone done Tai Chi? Here it claims that it helps dealing with fibromyalgia:
https://nccih.nih.gov/health/taichi/introduction.htm

I ended up there when I did read about chronic fatigue syndrome:
http://thesportjournal.org/article/an-athletes-nutritional-answer/

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Around 50mins of yoga today. Feeling lazy for not doing more, and for going with gentle hatha/restorative rather than a fast moving vinyasa, but am trying to listen to my body while I deal with the meds changes and fibro flare :slant:

Great job on getting back into the gym foxxycat foxxycat :clap: Being kind and gentle to yourself in your workouts is exactly what you need right now :hugs::vibes:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I feel ok. Still upset but glad its over. I miss her and mad at myself for not doing it sooner but the peace is slowly settling in. I can look at her pictures and smile with tears. I have some I took a few hours before I let her go. She didn't look sick to me but I could see it in her eyes that she was telling me mom I am ready to go to the Bridge. Then a few tears. I am tired all the time and slept ok last night. 10 to 4:45 which is amazing for me. I usually wake up every 2 hours. I have my appetite back so I need to be careful. I packed my sneakers in my gym bag today and I plan on walking a mile on the treadmill after work. Tonight is free food at the gym so I will have a treat and then do some slow exercise. I wont be doing any marathons just enough to work back into it. I really miss working out. but just don't have the energy.

I will be kind to myself this week.

We leave for vaca on aug 14 and so much for planning on dropping the weight. this is the first summer in 5 years that I am still in a size 14 but what are you going to do? I am going to put on my swim suit and get in the water and to heck with the people who frown down on not so perfect bodies. I am going to raise my chin and dare anyone to say anything rude to me. I may be fat but I still can lift fairly heavy. So I keep reminding myself that muscles weigh more than fat and stop comparing myself to the perfect people we see daily on the tv and out in real life.

So maybe I will try dancing at lunchtime. Now that I am eating maybe I wont get dizzy spells or whatnot.
You have to take care of yourself right now....you owe yourself that. After doing everything you could for Floey, it's time to do something for you. 

I did my exercises last night.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did 3.2 miles last night. the first one I tried running. it felt good to pound away my sadness on the treadmill. I was starving but told myself to get 3 miles done. the first one was done in 16 minutes. The food was soso. gave me heart burn.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's been raining non-stop for the past 27 hours. Where does all this water come from? I thought the monsoon was supposed to be over.

Too wet to run or walk so I did and hour of yoga today.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I did shoulders, biceps and triceps and then I went for a 10 min jog. I also did a handstand :woohoo: I demonstrate to kids how to do them and I usually get 1/4 ish of the way up but this time one went straight up!!! I suppose that's really not a handstand but I'm taking it. I'm 44 so I'm taking that :lol3:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
No exercises today for me.. I spent the morning at the hairdressers. By the time I got home, and had an apple with peanut butter for lunch, along with a cup of green tea, I was too tired to go. I know.. but I need to go before I get involved with doing anything else. I do my best then. 

Besides, my shoulder was aching today. We have had too much humid weather for me. Now my shoulder is a tad achey, and my knee is starting up.. I never win.. Tomorrow will be better and I will go. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yesterday I did shoulders, biceps and triceps and then I went for a 10 min jog. I also did a handstand
I demonstrate to kids how to do them and I usually get 1/4 ish of the way up but this time one went straight up!!! I suppose that's really not a handstand but I'm taking it. I'm 44 so I'm taking that
Oh, good for you! Was it free standing or against a wall? I can get up there but my arms aren't strong enough for me to balance so I have to do them against a wall.

It's all in the back. If your lower back is flexible enough to allow your legs and your center of gravity to be above your shoulders when your hands touch the floor you just go straight up.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan it was a free standing handstand. Next I want to learn a pull over on the uneven bars!!

Is everyone excited about the olympics? I am.

I did my legs with Rohan today. They are still achey :D

Keep up the good work everybody :clap:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Way to go with that handstand, Tammat! I used to be able to do them....don't know that I'd even want try at this point. I can see me trying it out in the front yard, flopping over on my head or back and gasping for air. And the neighbors all taking pictures for their FB pages. 

Did my lower body exercises last night.

Let me tell you, the last thing I wanted to do today was go downstairs. I didn't want to walk, I didn't even want to see that treadmill. I told Rick I wasn't walking today. He never said a word. He looked at me. And then he pointed to the basement. I took my iPod out of the cabinet, headed downstairs, and did it.

When I was done, I came back upstairs. Rick had just come back inside from taking The Beast out. He said, "Feel better?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Good! When you don't want to do it, that's when you need to do it!" Gave me a kiss good-bye and left for work.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cutting lawn and grass, that was 3.5 hours of sweating and there would still be more to do, but rain started bothering bit too much.

At least gnats, no see ums, mosquitos and horseflies start to be less, as well as leaves on trees, there is lot of yellow leaves on ground though, so I guess raking starts soon.

I start to understand plastic trees and lawn so well now.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok I just ran as fast as I could for the song Maniac. its 4 minutes long. I ran as hard and as fast as I could. does this count? I have soaked my face and shirt is damp. Wish I could do this for a straight 20 minutes. That's my goal some day. Run as fast and hard as I can for 20 minutes.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to the gym. Only did a mile on the elliptical-took 18 minutes. Did most of the other stuff. I had to cut out the biceps curls because I have issues with the ulnar nerves in both elbows. I was doing great with it, but both hand were waking me up at night because they were all pins and needles, despite wearing wrist braces on both wrists. 

But I did good. Felt good to go to the gym. Did not want to, but it felt so good once I was there..and even more so after I was done. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nearly an hour of yoga today
We did some basic movements. For some reason my balance was completely off
I wobbled horribly on nearly every single pose Tree pose on my wonky left foot? I could not stand upright
But I did have fun

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
An hour of yoga and a 45 minute cat walk today.

@LTS3  if you have trouble balancing try fixing your gaze on something that is not moving. Make sure the room isn't too dark. It's much harder to balance if you can't see what you're looking at.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok I just ran as fast as I could for the song Maniac. its 4 minutes long. I ran as hard and as fast as I could. does this count? I have soaked my face and shirt is damp. Wish I could do this for a straight 20 minutes. That's my goal some day. Run as fast and hard as I can for 20 minutes.

Every movement counts :)

You could do that 4 minutes, then 8 minutes gentle walking and then try do again that 4 minutes or as long as you can, do 2 or 3 of those run/walk cycles and quite quickly your running improves. Even doing shorter times should help, so if you aim for 20 minutes (or you have 20 minutes available), you could do 2 minutes of running and that 8 minutes of walking, two cycles, then gradually increase time you run and reduce amount you walk.

2-3 times a week at each week if possible should help to get results quite quickly.

When I started running I could not do it even a minute at first.

Another thing about running, at least for me it relies solely from carb intake, intensity tends to be so high that I really need to have glycogen levels filled up by taking decent amount of carbs days before I run.

Currently I'm fueling up for bike ride and run, 1700 calories, 200 grams carbs and 63 grams protein, going to burn all that off.

Status
Not open for further replies.