The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO jealous Norachan Norachan - what a stunning place to ride :9: Wish I could do that with Collie!

40mins yoga this morning, then wandered round town for an hour (to calm down from a stressful doctor's appointment). Wanted to do a LOT more yoga, but simply didn't have time :( :sigh:

Still in a fibro flare though (and now have a very sore arm from bloods being taken - a nice lump has already formed :slant: )....

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful, beautiful pictures! They are simply gorgeous! JTbo, I really like the picture at the lake....is there a path around the lake for walking or biking? Norachan, Chacha is a beautiful horse. And your hair! It's just lovely!

I did my exercises and stretches last night.

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning (No pictures of our basement though. :lol3:  )
There are around 900 people on 350 square mile area that has around 7% of water, that water is scattered all over the area in tiny spots when you look at map, so almost all the time you can see some water, that one in pic is one of the bigger ones, so it would be more than 60 miles to go around it.

Because of those reasons, anything out from road network is usually not been walked on for years and years so no paths can form, undergrowth is quite a lot and in a forest it is sinking at least ankle deep with every step, sometimes sinks much more, so walking a mile in a forest will make you feel like it is enough for a day.

There are rare exceptions of course, but that is how most of area is.

Because we have less than 2.6 persons per square mile in this area, there is not much of any kind of bike paths yet alone walking or biking trails, some logging roads and cattle roads are most fun to ride on or forest harvester tracks, but those tend to grow quite fast so it is only 1 or 2 years of riding on those when they are fresh.

I like it though, wouldn't mind if there would be less people at times though :lol3:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I would like it, too. It sounds like such a neat place for living. We don't have a lot of places close by for walking, unless you include our Rail Trail. The Trail is nice, but we have to drive almost ten miles to get there. And it doesn't make a lot of sense to get in the car and drive someplace, just to walk.And it's usually crowded beyond belief. Walkers, dog-walkers, bicyclists, etc. 

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like it, too. It sounds like such a neat place for living. We don't have a lot of places close by for walking, unless you include our Rail Trail. The Trail is nice, but we have to drive almost ten miles to get there. And it doesn't make a lot of sense to get in the car and drive someplace, just to walk.And it's usually crowded beyond belief. Walkers, dog-walkers, bicyclists, etc. 

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.
Here it is allowed to pick berries everywhere in forests, you can't do that on people's yard or grown stuff of course, but anything that is growing wild in woods is free game, so also you are allowed to hike at any forest / path if there is no fence around the place or housing at visual range.

Lot of people come even from Thailand to pick berries during the autumn.

I have heard that at least some places in US you can't even walk on someone else's land, land and house ownership is perhaps bit different here, but perhaps also lot to do with we having so much forest and relatively small amount of people. I have lived in a city few times and while our cities are not big, there is another problem, not much forests around, so I can't imagine how it could be on those big cities in a world, where you have to spend hour or more to get out of them. It is different world, with all the positive and negative as it is with life.

Chopped firewood about 30 minutes today. Also I had to end life of tiny rabbit, one of the cats had bitten one leg partly off, so I though it is best to end suffering of poor thing.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't walk yesterday. It was very windy and rained lots. I'm never going to catch up to Winchester at this rate! Lol!!
I've still got this cold/ flu type thing. I'm not too unwell but I'm starting to worry that it will impact on my training which starts on Monday. I'm looking forward to that. I'm resting until then.
Keep working hard everybody. It's worth it. We are worth it!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@JTbo  Poor little bunny. My cats have managed to get rabbits in the past too. I think you did the best thing for him.

One hour of yoga and a 90 minute walk yesterday.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I didn't walk yesterday. It was very windy and rained lots. I'm never going to catch up to Winchester at this rate! Lol!!
I've still got this cold/ flu type thing. I'm not too unwell but I'm starting to worry that it will impact on my training which starts on Monday. I'm looking forward to that. I'm resting until then.
Keep working hard everybody. It's worth it. We are worth it!!
 Tammat, I hope you'll be feeling better by Monday!

Did my exercises and stretches last night. Put the window fan on the floor, right smack dab in front of my exercise mat. That way, every time, I lifted up to do a crunch, the air blew right over me. Still nasty, but at least I could deal with it.

3 miles on the treadmill this morning. I could not do more than that. I just couldn't. I'm hot and miserable. And miserable and hot. At this point, I'm glad for the 3. Maybe I'll try for another mile later on.....but I'm not holding my breath. (Sorry)

Don't get me wrong; I will take summer over winter any day. But geez, it's even starting to wear me down at this point.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Had to work all day today so just a 45 minute stroll with the cat when I was done.

Cat still fat, but not so fat that he couldn't grab a mouse and run off with it when I tried to rescue the poor little thing. He's supposed to be walking to control his weight, not going out to snack on the wildlife.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great work Winchester Winchester :clap: SO hard to get moving when you feel like you're melting :sweat: 3 miles is nothing to be sniffed at!

Oh, Little Boy :disa::lol3: He reminds me of Collie going on a hack through knee high grass Norachan Norachan :rolleyes:

Just cleaned the cottage for incoming guests. It took longer than usual as this heat and humidity made a ton of mould grow in the shower grout :frown2: Cue lots of scrubbing to get it all off :sigh: The inside of the bathroom bin was filthy too, and took a fair bit of work to get clean.

NOT great with a fibro flare :cringe: I literally feel like I've been hit by a truck today. Really want to do some yoga, but don't know if it'll happen. All I want to do is sleep :frusty::dead:

Why do I feel so lazy?!?.....

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You having heat too? It is indeed miserable here too, hot, humid, no wind, I tried to run, but it was 30minutes run/walking and I was out of steam, it literally run as a clear liquid on my skin and escaped to non existent wind.

Oh yes, thanks to all from nice comments of photos, I'm glad you like them, even they are not that good with that poor quality camera.

So summer, I'm not fan of it, sure it is nice to go out in shorts and t-shirt, also that there are no need for heating, but amount of insects and heat, it really is bit too much for me, at winter there is then tons of snow, so I'm pretty much autumn person, but there is two weeks or bit more at spring that are nice too, but come sweet autumn, with dark nights, cool days and lack of insects.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's been up as high as 30C here, which is hot for the UK! I'm loving it, as it's the one time I can feel my hands and feet (reynauds) :lol: but most people are really struggling with it. I mucked out Collie on one of the hottest days, and only just broke a sweat. I really feel the cold though, so winter is hell for me :cold:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to go to the gym, I did, but it is to late for me now. 

I got up, forgot that I was having a mass at church said for my mom, so I rushed with eating my yogurt. I quickly dressed, left food for Artie. 

I decided to go to the gym right after the Mass. It was so disgustingly hot and humid in there. The AC was not working!!!  I could not stand it. It is so incredibly hot outside and has been for several days. 

I have asthma, and this thick humid air is not easy to breathe in. I had all I could do to stay in church for the Mass. I honestly felt as if I was about to pass out from the heat!! I was drinking water also..

I came home, felt as if I really needed to lie down, so I did. I napped for a couple of hours. 

I am up now, still in the gym clothes, but not feeling like going out in this heat. I think I will just stay in, take a shower, and possibly put some clean laundry away. 

I am skipping the gym today, altogether.. I cannot force myself to go today...

Feeling guilty about that decision, but I really do feel I have to skip it today. 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to go to the gym, I did, but it is to late for me now. 

I got up, forgot that I was having a mass at church said for my mom, so I rushed with eating my yogurt. I quickly dressed, left food for Artie. 

I decided to go to the gym right after the Mass. It was so disgustingly hot and humid in there. The AC was not working!!!  I could not stand it. It is so incredibly hot outside and has been for several days. 

I have asthma, and this thick humid air is not easy to breathe in. I had all I could do to stay in church for the Mass. I honestly felt as if I was about to pass out from the heat!! I was drinking water also..

I came home, felt as if I really needed to lie down, so I did. I napped for a couple of hours. 

I am up now, still in the gym clothes, but not feeling like going out in this heat. I think I will just stay in, take a shower, and possibly put some clean laundry away. 

I am skipping the gym today, altogether.. I cannot force myself to go today...

Feeling guilty about that decision, but I really do feel I have to skip it today. 
Something familiar in there, just woke up after napping few hours, I have also asthma so that was factor too in that I could not make much of a run.

Next week here is even worse so for me it is only bike rides if even that for a week.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning. It was just ugly. After I hit two very sweaty miles, I just said, "Aw, the heck with it," turned it up to 4.5 mph and finished the last 1.5 miles at 4.5. I was already sweating like crazy, so why not just do a light jog at that point. Get 'er done is all I wanted by then. Just get 'er done.

Followed by a cool shower. I feel pretty good right now.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was hoping to get bike ride today, but not a chance, it is so humid that salt is melting on table and while it is 27 C there still is fog/haze so much that visibility is severly limited at 100 meters, no wind at all.

Cats are not moving and I must be quick if I go outside as it is like being in a sauna.

I try at morning / after midnight if it would be possible to ride then.

I think fat melts at higher temps, so I would just need a tap to let it run out of me, I guess it would be too easy? :lol3:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
40mins yoga today. Too exhausted and spasm-y to do more :slant: Might try again later, but I strongly suspect that's wishful thinking :rolleyes:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
40mins yoga today. Too exhausted and spasm-y to do more
Might try again later, but I strongly suspect that's wishful thinking
Remember it's supposed to be fun, there's no point forcing your body to do something that's going to hurt. You won't be able to do a thing tomorrow if you do.

Yesterday I walked for about 90 minutes.

Today I rode my bike for an hour and then walked for another 90 minutes. My bike's had an overhaul this weekend, cleaned it up, oiled the gears and chain and painted it Fire Engine Red.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started my new programme today. Woo!! The good thing is that it's really short so I will be able to add some cardio in too. My resting heart rate is still up a bit too high so I'm going to wait until I'm completely over this cold until I get my running shoes on. I love a new programme. It's always exciting to change things up. This one is 5 reps and then a 15 sec hold halfway through the rep, 5 reps, another 15 secs hold and another 5 reps to finish. This holds tension on the muscle for 75 secs and it gets a terrific burn in the muscle. 3 sets of 3 exercises x2. Then I finish with TORQ on a second muscle group. Today was back and chest for the TORQ.
Keep going everybody.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Norachan, Fire Engine Red! Nice! 

Good luck with your new routine, Tammat....you'll do great, I know you will!  

Columbine, you're doing what you can do. Can't ask for more than that. It will get better. 

JTbo, I wish it was that easy to get rid of fat! 

3.25 miles on the treadmill this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.