The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Hey there! Welcome to the thread! 

Hope to see you here often, telling us that you made it to the gym and what you're doing. Keep trying....you'll get there!

Tonight I worked with the dumbbells for my arms, trunk, abs, and legs. A bunch of crunches. I added my PT exercises in there while I was on the mat on the floor and got those done, too. It took me about an hour or so.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
welcome new comers to this thread! the more who join the more we do better!

yesterday i did the elliptical for 25 minutes. due to the really horrible issues in my life the past three days i opted to not do weights. i was overtired anyways but wanted to at least stretch my legs. so i got almost half an hour done. i had a headache and just wanted to go to bed, tonight i did not do anything. tomorrow is D day-i am going to make myself get back into my routine-at the min do some walking and elliptical. i want to try weights but i feel like this is another sleepless night again. uggg...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@blueyedgirl5946  That's great for you and your husband! I love it when you start to see the results.

@reversedpolarit  Welcome to the thread. 
 You're lucky having a trainer to work with, I'd really like to have someone work out a program for me. Hope you enjoy the swim.

I did an hour of yoga on Tuesday and an hour of yoga and a 30 minute run yesterday.

I've changed my running route so it's more on the roads and less in the woods. Lately there have been a spate of fatal bear attacks in Japan. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/13/warning-four-killed-bear-attacks-akita-japan

I'm a long way from Akita, but we get the same kind of bears around here. I figure if the number of bears has increased in one part of Japan there are probably more around here too. How scary if the bears suddenly realise how tasty we are! There's no way I could outrun one.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that they find that bear, otherwise it will began whole new issue.

If bear attacks best thing to do is play dead I have heard, not sure if I could do it while being eaten!

I did 3 hours and 30 minutes of cleaning one section of yard from small trees. It has been yard, but actually is now becoming forest, so I left more desired trees there while getting rid of undesired ones. That burned 1600 calories.

With that I got more light and wind to yard so I hope there is less of annoying blood sucking insects and maybe I could let cats visit outdoors again, they are annoyed from being indoors whole time now, but I have to keep them indoors, gnats and mosquitoes are on them so badly, tens and tens I spotted on Mouku earlier when he was outdoors, poor cat is so shy and still came moaning about his sorry state, so brushed all the annoying blood sucker off him and carried indoors without him resisting.

Normally he would of put big fight from such, he likes to stay good distance away when outdoors usually, but such was the event that he thought it is better to ask little help.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
In about 30 minutes or so, I will be off to the gym, to fight with the elliptical once again!!

Right now the knee feels better, so we will see. 

I promised to help them at the Church, with some stuff, just tidying up the store room. I have to be there at noon and it is 9AM now.. so I have to get going. Had breakfast of green tea, yogurt with granola.

Feels like a sea breeze right now. Coolish. Windows and patio door open. I can smell the ocean, must be low tide. 

I love the smell of the ocean..

After finishing up with church, I will run home and take a nice hot shower!! 

I will grab a protein bar to eat after the gym. 

Then it will be time for supper; and another cup of green tea, this time decaf. 

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got called into work yesterday, but went to the gym today. Unfortunately there was a class using a lot of the equipment, so I cycled 8km and used a few of the resistance machines instead of following the programme. If I remember I'll list it out here. I'm working tomorrow, but I'm aiming to swim afterwards. Saturday I start work at a boarding cattery/kennels, so Sunday should be my next gym day.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I did the elliptical again today.. It really works those muscles which were dormant for so long! I could only do 1 mile on it, at the lowest level. I was really pushing it...I used a lot of other machines, but left the leg stuff alone...

Then I went to the church and helped them out a bit....so that was still more exercise...

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
1.0 mile on the treadmill this morning, with stretching exercises before and after. 

Only at a 1% incline and only at 3 mph. And only 1 mile.

It hurt like heck; the therapist said it probably would since I haven't done any walking in over a week. I am to give it time and continue with stretching before and after. And see how things go. But hey, one mile is one mile. I'll take it.

Tonight is an exercise night, so I'll continue with my exercises and PT tonight.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hit the gym running last night.

Did that stairway elliptical thingy set at random. -supposed to be like climbing stairs or hills-but feels like the regular elliptical machine but no arm thingys swinging. Did it for 20 minutes.

then hit the smith machine where the free weights are- squat-chest press and roman deadlift. I can't do the traditional deadlift because the bar doesn't go low enough to the ground-short person issue. I was going to stand on the bench but I didn't want to knock it over so just did it regular. did 65-70-75 lbs. I still can't get over doing chest press at 65 and 70!!

Last month I wrote a note in my locker-chest press-rows-squats and it says 28lbs. I thought 28lbs is heavy! now the smith machine is deceptive-it balances the weights for you so I imagine if I was out in the real world I am probably still only at 50lbs. I still haven't wanted to change gyms. I  figure its just as good lifting here as regular free weights-at least I don't have to worry about the weights dropping on myself since its got that safety latch system that it stops it from falling if you drop the bar

I tried to not spend too much time there but I was there for almost 2 hours again. I guess I just take my time and make sure my form is correct.

Two girls came over to the smith machine next to me-and they were squatting 95lbs! And they were making it look so easy. I told them they are really strong! They said they haven't been here for 3 months. I said I have only been here for less than 3 months-I can't remember the month I started-was it April or March?!
 I loose track of time so easily...I told them they need to come back and give the guys a run for their money! I love seeing women play around with the weights. Mix it up.

The guys are funny there. You can tell which ones are walking around and strutting. Just cracks me up. Had a few try to give me the EYE.
 I had one brazen enough to talk to me a few times. Not sure what his goal is.  The freakiest part is he found me on facebook.  I told him point blank that I didn't know what his motives are. He says no I don't mean anything-he says he is married-I said I have seen you at the gym hitting up the women around you. He says he is just friendly and not to worry. hah. So Maybe he just wants to be friendly. But after he let me know he was not looking for other things he actually had quite a bit to talk about and he has been going to this gym for some time. We talk on messenger three times a week. So who knows maybe I will meet a few other people along the way. sorry this went off topic-just thought it was interesting how we can meet folks around our own towns.

But the best deterant to people talking-put ear buds in=even if its off-no one will talk to you
 Mind you I am shy in public so I figured to experiment-most of all people have headsets on-makes a big difference-I play dance music with a fast beat and helps to motivate me.

Back at it tonight but no weights-just cardio. gonna aim for 30 min but if I can handle it I want to do 60 minutes. still doing a light jog at lunch for 30 minutes.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Today was my day off from exercising. I am glad I planned it that way. My body was so sore last night, I could not get comfortable in bed!

Long story, but I did end of taking over a shift at the shelter. I did a lot of exercise there. Sweeping cubbies, scooping litter, dumping entire boxes, refilling them, feeding them, and chasing them all around!! All for 8 cats!!! so that was a mini-workout....not for you guys, but for me it was. 

It got rid of the sore body spots, though!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday I had almost 11,000 steps on my Fitbit. Plus, I rode the stationary bike 9 miles. I can tell my calves are getting stronger to push those pedals.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't be exercising for few weeks, axe slipped when I was felling a tree and cut trough protective boots, so much of that Class I protection, seems not to work against an axe as that did cut straight to the bone.

Without boots I might not have that feet anymore though, so be safe out there, wear protective equipment when needed!

9 hour hospital trip was expensive thing, trying to save chainsaw gas did fail big time.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't be exercising for few weeks, axe slipped when I was felling a tree and cut trough protective boots, so much of that Class I protection, seems not to work against an axe as that did cut straight to the bone.

Without boots I might not have that feet anymore though, so be safe out there, wear protective equipment when needed!

9 hour hospital trip was expensive thing, trying to save chainsaw gas did fail big time.
Oh no. That's so awful for you. Take care of yourself and let it heal properly. I will be thinking of you lots and I'm sure everyone else will too. Group hug :grphug:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi :wavey: I didn't go away. I've been doing my same old all week. I have some more news- sports related. I completed my online component of my beginner gymnastics coach course :clap:. I also attended a coaches training session for our club :clap: I ran 2 kinder gym sessions with the coach standing by :clap: and the club is going to start paying me for coaching :clap: oh and I got a coaches t shirt :clap: I'm probably most excited about my t shirt :D
I've been doing some of the exercises with the kids, especially the stretches and I'm starting to have a try at the apparatus. I won't make it to Rio but watch out for me at the following olympics :lol3:
Take care jtbo jtbo

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cute!  ^^

JTBo!!!!
 You really need a good pair of leather steel toe boots for that kind of work. I could never do the stuff you do without my boots. Been wearing them for 15 years now-its old hat! I feel safer in my boots! Anyways keep that foot elevated and watch out for red puffy infection type symptoms. Make sure you rest it enough to heal...so make sure you stock up on puzzles books and music/movies! You wont be swinging the ax anytime soon. 

Tonight-hit the gym and did 47 minutes on that stairmaster or whatever its called. I started getting sore across my backside so quit before it got too bad. Home trying to stretch it out. I stretched after warm up. I tried to do 60 min..just too tired...gonna stretch some more tonight. 

Tammat=keep up the good work!!  
  Congrats on the coaching! see you will burn more calories just by chasing the kiddos around! 

Blueeyed girl-Good job!! Keep going!!

Artiemom-its still counts. have you looked at myfitnesspal dot com? you can track exercise and food-they have all kinds of things that count as burning calories-you would be surprised how many calories regular housework and other activities burn. So I count what you did as exercise. I am not the greatest at tracking food but I use the exercise log-its free and you can join in discussions on forums if you had any questions about anything fitness related. food. problems with a body part or general ???. you can add friends and theres kind of a newsfeed that gives everyones updates-like if you worked out-it says so and so burned calories doing x y and z for x amount of minutes. and its encouraging. I like the fact that not everyone on there is a princess. Lots of regular folk like us on there. or you can just look at it for the exercise database to figure calorie burn for yourself. 

Red Top=you can start with 10 minutes. do something for 10 minutes-walking to the mailbox. walking around the block. or find a video on youtube for beginner exercises=I love those videos=they show you how to do things plus I do a new workout every day! Or stand in place and practice punching. that counts. And you dont have to move your feet. I never expected that to make me sweat-it does! Or just lurk and keep posting-we all will circle around you and make you join us in the ring around the rosie!!! 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boots had cutting protection, those are 2nd best protection level available there is only one better level and really hard to find those with best level protection, because it is really hard to meet requirements for that level.

Boots have Class 3 chainsaw protection and steel toe protection, supposed to be much tougher than leather boots, but it seems my axe is tougher or at least finally got it sharp :lol3:

http://nokianjalkineet.fi/en/boots-pro/eurologger-en/?color=orange

Maybe I just would need whole steel cover instead of toe protection made from steel :D

I did send pics to manufacturer, I hope that I get some answer from them as those are often recommended for axe work too.

Saddest point is that no Sauna for at least two weeks :(

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
OUCH! @JTbo  That looks really painful.

How many stitches did you need? Are you going to be able to take care of things around your place while it heals? I hope you've got some friendly neighbors who'll stop by to help you.

I did and hour of yoga then a 90 minute walk yesterday. I've just finished work so I'm going to go for my run soon. The man eating bear in Akita was caught by a hunter. It's sad that they had to shoot her, but I guess once she'd started eating people she wasn't going to stop.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Dear heavens, JTbo, that looks nasty! You take care! 

Tammat, you rock. You just rock! 

BlueyedGirl5946, great job! You are doing wonderfully!

Artiemom, I'm another MyFitnessPal fan. It's a good app.

Foxxycat, good job at the gym. (I learned when I first started walking in the neighborhood at work that earbuds are needed, even if I'm not listening to music. That way, if somebody tries to talk to me, I can just wave, point to my earbuds, and keep going. There's an elderly lady on my route who really likes to talk. So some days, I'll stop to talk to her; she likes to tell me about all her health problems. Other days, I'll just wave and continue my walk.)

RedTop Rescue......you need to post about what you're doing to exercise!!!

I did my PT stretching exercises before I ever got out of bed this morning, so as soon as I fed the kids, I hit the treadmill for one mile. It hurts, but well, it is what it is at this point. I will say that only walking at 3 mph is way too slow for me; I keep hitting the front of the treadmill because I'm walking faster than 3 mph on my own, even though I try to stay with the set speed. 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OUCH! @JTbo
 That looks really painful.

:alright:

How many stitches did you need? Are you going to be able to take care of things around your place while it heals? I hope you've got some friendly neighbors who'll stop by to help you.

:grphug:

I did and hour of yoga then a 90 minute walk yesterday. I've just finished work so I'm going to go for my run soon. The man eating bear in Akita was caught by a hunter. It's sad that they had to shoot her, but I guess once she'd started eating people she wasn't going to stop.

:sigh:
Only 4 stitches, but doctor was worried about bone, there were no fracture, but clearly axe had hit the bone, so there is possibility that some bacteria has ended into bone, coming days then show up if such is the case and I need another visit in a hospital.

Last night was horrible as whole feet started to swallow and turned quite black and painful, I was not cold but teeth were scattering as I was shaking like being frozen, but today it is normal and not swallowed and no shaking, so I guess it is healing now. Hit with an axe was not very painful, felt just like if something had felled on feet, so I didn't even notice I was bleeding quite a bit until blood started to show up from cut of the boot, I just though there are several layers of kevlar in these boots, axe should not cut trough these and took photos so I can ask manufacturer's opinion about the subject.
I would not say I was in shock, but would I know it myself?

I can do all the chores perfectly fine by bouncing around with one leg, that is why we exercise, good strength helps with challenges life throws at us, I can easily hop on one leg to do what I need to, seems not even hard and I think it will help to build up the core a bit as well as improves balance, so I can turn this challenge into fun exercise :)

At hospital I chose not to get painkillers when they did stitches and found out cleaning the wound gave more pain than anything else in there, I think all those chemicals in painkillers might really cause more issues than help, out of curiosity I observed how doctor sewed it together, seems not be much different from sewing of the fabric.

That is great thing that hunter got the bear, it is also sad thing, but indeed bear can develop taste for humans and as humans are easy and plentiful catch, bear could become big problem if they learn that humans are actually edible. It is purposely kept so that bigger beasts don't get to know humans are edible, because if they learn that and pass it to generation or two, we would be in big trouble. It is bit sad too, but better than horror movie in real life.
So to allow most bears live these individuals need to be hunted out.

:grphug: to all, challenges are there to be conquered!

Status
Not open for further replies.