The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how is this for inspiration? Rohan told me that his oldest client just turned 80!!! The elderly Gentleman trains every week and does a mixture of cardio, weights and tennis. Rohan said he also works a lot on balance with him too. No excuses now people :walk: At least until we are 80 :lol3:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh how is this for inspiration? Rohan told me that his oldest client just turned 80!!! The elderly Gentleman trains every week and does a mixture of cardio, weights and tennis. Rohan said he also works a lot on balance with him too. No excuses now people
At least until we are 80
That's amazing. I hope I can do that when I'm 80. Kudos to him!

I know I haven't posted here in quite a while, but I've still been walking every day. In the morning, I hit the treadmill; now at night, I've been walking outside, too. Not walking so much during lunch since I can walk at night.

Anyway, according to my Fitbit, 

8,074,910 steps = 3,606 miles. I'll take it. And will keep going!

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's amazing. I hope I can do that when I'm 80. Kudos to him!

I know I haven't posted here in quite a while, but I've still been walking every day. In the morning, I hit the treadmill; now at night, I've been walking outside, too. Not walking so much during lunch since I can walk at night.

Anyway, according to my Fitbit, 

8,074,910 steps = 3,606 miles. I'll take it. And will keep going!
I'm so glad you are still walking. I was about to send you a pm to make sure you were ok. Have you been taking Jackie for walks too?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I'm still out there, just haven't been posting that much, I guess. We take Jackie out on the Trail on Saturday mornings and sometimes after Rick gets home and has the kids fed their supper, he'll bring Jackie into work and we'll take her out on the Trail for a while. 

We can't walk her down by our house at night; the people are crazy drivers. I got hit down there a couple years ago and it's taken me this long to get back outside at home. It's scary walking along the road in front of our house.

I'm like the Energizer Bunny.....I keep going and going and...... 

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Did 45 min at lunchtime-cardio and weights yesterday

Then after work I went to Planet Fitness and did some time on the elliptical then messed around with the weights for my arms. I spent 90 minutes there. I rest 30 seconds inbetween sets so it takes a bit of time. I still cant do over 8 lbs for those chest flies and other ones where arms are extended. I can curl 25 no problem. but that's with elbows close to my body. then messed around with various free weights. I am going back today after work, Havent decided if I will not workout during lunch..at this point if I feel up to it I will get it done.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had so little motivation and energy today, that I felt I did not accomplish much of anything.

I managed to sweat 5.5 hours, burned 2794 calories so with BMR I managed to waste 4521 calories today, I don't feel really tired like I had done much, more like mentally tired of all tasks that are waiting to be done and too much social interaction in real life which has drained my battery too low.

But when looking statistics for today it seems I have managed to move like I should, 5.5 hours and 134 Watts per hour average power output, I should be really happy from that, but I felt so lethargic whole day, like no energy at all, moving like zombie trying to do all these spring chores that I need to do.

Neighbor asked help at morning and of course I did agree, I always put others ahead of myself, but that lead me to fail in food department like so many recent days, so I did seek relief and energy from sweets once again, whole 4311 calories of sweets at one go.

Now that is really same as shooting myself with a gun as I have had recent blood test taken which shows out of range for kidneys and thyroid values, sugar can damage those and I should really stay out of sugar to avoid further damage.

So in practice I was killing little bit of myself today, even I did not gain any weight, which makes me again more apathetic and I wish to give up, think about who cares and dive into sweets. So, tomorrow I will have headache and really poor feeling overall, but I hope I have not eaten any more sweets today or tomorrow.

Oh and it pours down again tomorrow, I doubt that I can escape myself with exercise, which usually is good solution, well life is such sometimes.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh how is this for inspiration? Rohan told me that his oldest client just turned 80!!! The elderly Gentleman trains every week and does a mixture of cardio, weights and tennis. Rohan said he also works a lot on balance with him too. No excuses now people
At least until we are 80
That's awesome. This guy is my hero at the moment. 100 years old and completed a marathon!

I'm glad you're still with us @Winchester  Is your treadmill holding up?

@JTbo  I know how you feel. Social interaction leaves me feeling worn out too.

I rode my bike for 30 minutes on Wednesday and did 90 minutes yoga yesterday. Just about to get stuck into the gardening now, but I'm going to go for a run this evening.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I mentioned earlier, I'm practicing making weights, so I can do more workouts, I'm not so good at it, but anything that has a mass should work right?

My mtb trail is now almost done, build a bridge today, still lot of branches and stuff needs to be moved and another bridge needs to be built, but I can already ride one section and it is quite nice, keeps heart rate up even at easiest gear.

I guess I did rode something like 10 laps today on it.

3 hours of moving today, managed even to split few rounds, but it really was quite bit less of activity than I planned for today, maybe tomorrow little more then.

I would need to waste 6000 calories tomorrow to reach 100 000 calories for whole month, that is not going to be easy, but I'll try.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's awesome. This guy is my hero at the moment. 100 years old and completed a marathon!

I'm glad you're still with us @Winchester
 Is your treadmill holding up?

@JTbo
 I know how you feel. Social interaction leaves me feeling worn out too.

I rode my bike for 30 minutes on Wednesday and did 90 minutes yoga yesterday. Just about to get stuck into the gardening now, but I'm going to go for a run this evening.
That's amazing. I guess we have no excuses until we are 100 now ;) :lol3:

I trained my legs with Rohan on Thursday and I was pathetic. I had no physical or mental strength. Wednesday I'd been feeling a bit poorly but my heart rate was down and I thought I was on the mend. I didn't train Friday because my heart rate was up high and I finally had cold/flu like symptoms on Saturday. Today is Sunday and I'm much the same however I think I'll be right to train again tomorrow.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great! It reminds me of something Fred Flintstone would use.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling good @Tammat  Best to take it easy if you feel a cold or the 'flu coming on.

I did a 30 minute run Friday and Saturday. I think I might go for a long walk later this afternoon, just for a change.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Tammat  Hope you feel better soon. Its always a drag getting ill.

I am still working out at lunch daily. No breaks. I even made it to the gym Wed and Thur after work. Wed did arms/shoulders and some cardio. Thurs focus on legs.  Fri did cardio. Sat more cardio with squats/lunges. today mostly cardio with more pushups than before-trying to get to 20 burpees but still cant breathe after I do 5. I can go down and do them but getting back up-just don't have enough BREATHE to get OFF the floor. I tried jumping rope today-wow that makes me sweat instantly. so can only do 20 jumps-then I have to breathe..so for now I am satisfied with my progress but the weight is still not moving BUT getting stronger. Oh and tell my stomach to STOP getting hungry..

@JTbo  That dumbbell out of wood is awesome. And you amaze me with how much energy you have!! Want to send me some? I have been timing myself during lunch to TRY to get to 45 min of intense aerobics-still barely make it to 40 minutes before I am petered out. I even eat more protein than before-just going to take time for me to get that OMP!

Good job everyone!

And looking for a stationary bike this summer since the gym no longer has those spinning type bikes-all they have are those ones that pedal out infront of you..i rather have one where its set up as if you were on a real bike..but first I have to move out some of my books..which I should do..but I instead go to the gym rather than do housework...gulp.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4.5 hours of chopping firewood, over 3000 calories gone (+about 2000 BMR calories so total is around 5000 for today's burn) and oh boy did I manage to do a lot of firewood, just need to build place for those to dry out and of course many other similar days needed until all wood is done.

I'm not sure about energy, many days I need to really push myself, but once I get going it is fine, lot is to do with eating well at morning, then right after that going outside and starting doing stuff, soon without realizing I have done a day's worth of workout.

Kinda wanted to do 1000 calorie bike ride today too, but it is bit late for that, so I try to get good amount of sleep and do more tomorrow.

Yesterday was not so good day after all, I did not manage to meet my goals, sure I did manage to do quite a bit, but fell lot short from 6000 calories, but sometimes it is like that and for me I tend to get more energetic at evenings for some odd reason.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jtbo jtbo Good looking arms you have there. :D
foxxycat foxxycat I wish someone would tell my stomach not to get hungry too :lol3:

Thanks for the well wishes. I trained today with Rohan back and shoulders. I'm not 100% well but I'm feeling pretty good.
I just bought a functional trainer woo!!!! I've been saving up for a while now and it came on sale so I ordered it. It has to come from the city so I'll post a pic when it arrives.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took my kids for a walk for about 50 minutes. I pulled them in the wagon, which with both kids and the weight of the wagon was about 81 pounds. I live in a very hilly area so a lot of it was making sure the wagon wasn't going too fast and then pulling it up hills.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tammat, I hope you're feeling better this morning. Good luck with your trainer!

Monday: 

3 miles on the treadmill in the morning

3 miles walked during my lunch break

2 miles walked last night

(It was a very hectic day on Monday, at work and at home. It seems that the only time I truly have any peace anymore is when I'm walking. I was sitting on the couch last night and the cats were fighting over my lap and Jackie was being Jackie. I turned off the news, got up off my butt, put my sneakers on, grabbed my iPod and took off. It was wonderful getting out of the house for a while.)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@JTbo  OMG, look at your arms! Chopping wood must be great exercise.

I've had a few days off because I've had a cold. Went for a 30 minute walk this afternoon, but felt dizzy and breathless going up hill.I guess now might be a good time to focus on some of the sewing and other projects I have planned.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@JTbo=you have some impressive arms! I hope to get there in another year or however long it takes to get ripped. I just want to be strong. I feel powerful when I lift weights. And of course I enjoy how my body looks if I keep up with it.

Well I hit the gym again last night. Was raining hard and I really wanted to get more time on the arm weights.

So they had pizza at the gym-every first Monday of the month-we had tons of people-most just hoped on a machine for a few then scoop out pizza eat and leave. so at 4:30 it was pretty busy...I pigged out on some-cant help myself-then got on the elliptical and zoomed away for 45 min. I stopped at walgreens prior to get earbuds-they don't sound as good as ear muffs but these have the flexible ear holders so they actually STAY in my ear..wow what a difference! I used Pandora on phone and picked club music-they play mostly older stuff from the 1990s early 2000s. I wish they had an area open for dancing because that would be really cool. so I zoomed away and kept heart rate around 135-145 which is right where it should be. If it got over 155 then it was uncomfortable for me. So then I hit the universal machine-

lower lat pull downs-narrow grip=45-55-65-75 pound settings-nice burn

seated row-   -45-55-65-70-80. The last set was only 10-I wanted to shock the muscles-I find that if I sit back a bit it works my buttocks more than my back.

Then various hand weights for my arms/shoulders-10-15 pound ones

curls and chest press with 20lbs. I didn't push it-my elbows were starting to ache so I couldn't add more weight.

Then back on the elliptical for another what was supposed to be 15 minutes turned into 40 minutes-I was enjoying the music and people watching...lol. so I didn't get home until 7pm and I wasn't hungry! and forgot to bring home some pizza-they had tons of pizza..i should have asked to take home some if they were going to toss it. But then again I don't need the extra calories..last week was tough-hungry all the time..so maybe last night  I made up for it.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks from all the comments, I wish my arms would look like that all the time, but need to get ~4kg off the weight and I should be close there.
All this carrying, lifting, chopping and such is like visiting the gym, so it helps.

Anyway it is not very difficult for me to get muscle, genetics are such that for you girls it is harder, alone because fat percentage will be higher, so muscles does not show up so easily. For me fat percentage of 12 is not too extreme, but for you girls 12% would be extremely low, more on that in a link:
http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

Here is perhaps even better explanation for girls:
http://fitness.makeupandbeauty.com/body-fat-percentage-lean-muscle-mass/

I don't want to discourage you, just to tell how for me as a guy it is easier to get visible muscles, so any girl getting such muscles has done a lot more work for them and I think it is much greater achievement for girls so those girls deserve much more credit than guys.

I did bike servicing today, took me 6 hours and bike is still dirty, so no wood chopping today, but yesterday I did 3 hours of wood chopping, I was bit sore from day before though so I did not get quite as much done as I hoped for.

Tomorrow I need to visit in a city with my bike, that is 5-6 hours of bike riding unless I manage to ride faster, long time since I ride there last time, looking forward of that.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did another workout at lunch. no weights-just jumping around like an idiot to some dance music then did that thing were you hoist yourself up by your arms and legs hang free then pull knees to chest. Did 40 of those. Sweat pretty good.

The thing about muscle=for me-I have always been ripped. I have been actively lifting weights since I was 8. I was fascinated with how strong I can be. there were a few years I didn't lift but I always seems to go back to it. I hate cardio but I do it because I want the fat gone.

I had a friend take a photo of my back-I have never seen my back recently=and I cant get over how much definition there is even with fat on top.

So I tend to focus more on my back and shoulders. My elbows are bad so I cannot lift much for individual curls/etc. But if its together with both hands-I have found I can easily lift 50lb can of weld wire-without too much trouble.

In highschool I rode my bike all over the place so my legs are quite large. I always had huge thighs/calves. I cant wear those danty shoes with straps-they need to be twice as big. So I prefer my workboots. So I used to hate my shape but this year I have stopped picking away at myself and realize having muscle is a benefit..even if its hard to find pants that fit=the latest styles with slim legs-I cant even get my wrist into those pants never mind my legs. And of course lately all the squats I have been doing to strengthen my legs.

Someday I will get ripped. I pretty much am there just need to loose the layer of flesh ontop.

One guy at work gets a kick out of how much I have been doing-comes over to me and says-don't doubt yourself-you have some good sized guns there. Meaning my arms-who would have thunk it? Hey at 41 I have to stop being fussy about body image. Because I wish I didn't waste the first 20 years of adulthood nitpicking about my body. I wish I could look 20 again.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester 8 miles in one day!! I did the conversion that's over 12 kms :jaw: You must be practically running. With my walking pace that would take me hours. Is Jackie inside? Im surprised all the cats are agreeable to that.
I did my biceps and triceps at home yesterday. It wasn't my best effort. I still have cold like symptoms which is not too bad just annoying. It's a rest day for me today so I plan to have a nap.
Keep going everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.