The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
An hour of yoga this morning, then 2 hours of yard work this afternoon. I started with raking up leaves, got the enclosure 3/4 done now. Then I decided to lop off some dead branches from a few of the trees. Then I noticed that one tree was dead, so chopped it down, cut it into two and dragged it over to the bonfire pile.

I'm going to suffer for that tomorrow, I know. It would be much easier if I had a chain saw rather than just a hand saw.

I feel a Monty Python moment coming on.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chainsaw is really quick, but it takes some effort too, also to deal with lubes, chain sharpening etc. can be a burden, even more when having petrol powered chainsaw.

I bought recently teflon coated hand saw from bit higher price range (around 30 euros), that is quite good, effort needed to use it is at least 50% less than regular saw, it saws so easily I can hold piece of wood in my hand and saw it there, or I can take just 1mm off from the wood.

Since buying that saw I have used lot less chainsaw and I have been cutting wood a lot more, I use that saw daily now to cut firewood to length, so it is giving me actually more exercise even effort feels less when doing that one cut.

After 6 months of daily use it still has coating intact, so considering how much I have used that saw, I think it is holding up quite well.

This is the saw I have:
http://www.darbariks.lv/en/?cat/ham...ws-275/p/woodtec-handsaw-teflon-550mm-7-58061

I was quite amazed what kind of difference there is in different saws when I got that one.

jlchriswi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm new here and just found this thread.

I had a one-hour zumba class last night, but haven't done anything today.  This has motivated me to either walk a bit or do some weights.  I'll post later to let you know!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I had a one-hour zumba class last night, but haven't done anything today.  This has motivated me to either walk a bit or do some weights.  I'll post later to let you know!
Welcome :wavey:

I did my legs with Rohan today.

Keep going everybody.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Hi there! 
 Welcome!

3 miles on the treadmill this morning. 

Yeah, Miss J is an 11-year-old beagle. She likes to run a little, but our yard isn't fenced, so we need to be out with her when she goes. I may try to run a little around with her when we go out today. She can do her bathroom thing and then maybe we can romp around for a while.

She is a sweetie!

jlchriswi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yesterday I ended up doing some weights, and a few minutes of a cardio video.

This morning, I did more of the cardio video.

I should do more, but I'm easily distracted 

I do so much better when I take a class - I work harder and do it longer - but I just can't commit the time to take a class on a regular basis.   I'm working on my consistency.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yesterday I ended up doing some weights, and a few minutes of a cardio video.

This morning, I did more of the cardio video.

I should do more, but I'm easily distracted  :lol3:

I do so much better when I take a class - I work harder and do it longer - but I just can't commit the time to take a class on a regular basis.   I'm working on my consistency.
This thread could help you keep on track. At times I have exercised just so that I could post!!!! :lol3: We are relying on you now :D Go get exercising :lol3:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the tip @JTbo  I guess it would be a waste of money to buy a chain saw for just the occasional bit of sawing I do. They sure look like they'd be fun to use.

What do you do with all the fallen leaves at your place? Do you rake them up or just leave them where they are?

Welcome to the thread @jlchriswi  I just had to google Zumba classes, they look like fun.

An hour of yoga and a 90 minute walk today.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip @JTbo
 I guess it would be a waste of money to buy a chain saw for just the occasional bit of sawing I do. They sure look like they'd be fun to use.

What do you do with all the fallen leaves at your place? Do you rake them up or just leave them where they are?

Welcome to the thread @jlchriswi
 I just had to google Zumba classes, they look like fun.

An hour of yoga and a 90 minute walk today.
Majority of people do the raking thing, but me, well, my back starts to hurt so much with raking, so I just use lawnmower to make leaves disappear, sure it gives some exercise too, but raking would take lot more time and burn more calories.

You should get somewhere to try chainsaw first, it is quite useful for many things, but one really needs quite bit of safety and maintenance gear with the chainsaw, it does increase costs quite a lot and they are not very light to operate even they do cut wood really fast.

When chain as much as touches ground when cutting it starts to cut poorly and needs to be re-sharpened, but even them have disadvantages they are really great when need to fell bigger tree than arm thickness, anything smaller and good hand saw is better in my opinion.

Cats absolutely hate my chainsaw, when I take it out from storage and put it on yard, they freeze and start looking hiding places.

Chainsaw is more workout than a handsaw actually, especially when de-limbing a tree, with hand saw it takes more time, but heart rate is rarely 130 no matter how hard I saw, but with chainsaw it is easy to get into 150-160 heart rate and it is fully body workout. After all, it is shaking 5kg that needs to be hold at certain positions.

I fell less than 10 trees a year, but I also gather longer wood around the area, not much more than 10 hours of sawing in whole year I think. This year most of my cutting has been 20-50cm thick wood, which is bit too much work with hand saw, but it makes some good workouts.

Yesterday I managed to squeeze only 24 minutes of bicycling to my schedule. I have been building new bicycle with one old farmer, it has three wheels, cargo cart at front that turns and also enough low gearing that it will work on hills too with load. Cargo bikes are so expensive, but old milk cart I found from the forest is finding new life as part of cargo bike. Hopefully more exercise today.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 hours and 30 minutes of mountain biking, I went to ride on harvester (big forest tractor that fells trees) tracks in the forest, difficult, challenging and pushes whole body to limit, even outer layer of clothing was dripping sweat after that, I guess that has to do something, right? :D

Lost 3kg of weight on that ride, now bit of hand shaking and feels awesome!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
3 hours and 30 minutes of mountain biking, I went to ride on harvester (big forest tractor that fells trees) tracks in the forest, difficult, challenging and pushes whole body to limit, even outer layer of clothing was dripping sweat after that, I guess that has to do something, right?

Lost 3kg of weight on that ride, now bit of hand shaking and feels awesome!
Wow, you managed to sweat off 3 kilos in one go?! 
 That's awesome, good for you.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you managed to sweat off 3 kilos in one go?! :jaw:  That's awesome, good for you.
I guess I did wear too much, it was tiny bit above freezing, so ride was awfully hot, felt like being in sauna :D

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woo hoo!!! Going great people :clap:

I did my shoulders and back in the morning. I felt good so I did my legs this afternoon. im planning on plenty of rest over the weekend.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
3 miles on the treadmill this morning 

I'd like to do more, try to get up to 3.5 miles on the treadmill again, but til I'm done with the treadmill, cleaning out the litterboxes, and straightening up the house a bit, it's time for shower and work! And that's getting out of bed at 4:45. I just don't have time to get everything done.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
45 minutes on my bike yesterday and...........

...................I have some great news.

I found Sophie!

I've just updated her thread in Crossing The Bridge. Thank you all so much for keeping her in your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.