The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I need to loose 25 pounds and my Buster Brown needs to loose 6. I'm always trying to get him to exercise. Getting a overweight kitty to exercise is fun. I call him and make him follow me. I like swimming in an indoor pool and walking but this cold I can't handle.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I need to loose 25 pounds and my Buster Brown needs to loose 6. I'm always trying to get him to exercise. Getting a overweight kitty to exercise is fun. I call him and make him follow me. I like swimming in an indoor pool and walking but this cold I can't handle.
Does your cat like from bouncy balls? I often play with mine so that I throw ball down the stairs and they run after the ball, then one bring ball back and drops near me and we do that again, good workout for them :D

I have bought tens of those balls, but they oddly disappear without a trace ???

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does your cat like from bouncy balls? I often play with mine so that I throw ball down the stairs and they run after the ball, then one bring ball back and drops near me and we do that again, good workout for them :D

I have bought tens of those balls, but they oddly disappear without a trace ???
You know I never tried that. That's a great idea.

Ya he's been diagnosed with diabetes so I'm doing my best to reverse it.

Thank you for the idea! :-) :-) :-)

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I never tried that. That's a great idea.

Ya he's been diagnosed with diabetes so I'm doing my best to reverse it.

Thank you for the idea! :-) :-) :-)
Oh yes, one thing came to my mind, there are bouncy balls for human usage, which are rubber, but tend to make loud 'thud' when they hit the floor, then there are bouncy balls for cats, which are far softer material, I guess still some sort of rubber, but very very soft, they bounce well, don't make much of sound and cats can easily grab those with claws.

I use those cat versions, which seem to work best, tennis ball, ping pong ball and Christmas tree decoration ball all get fair amount of chasing too as long as I make them 'run away' so they can chase, but those bouncy balls are best.

Of course if one needs bit of exercise those other balls, especially ping pong ball on hard surface is fine as one has to walk where cat 'kills' it and then throw it again. Playing with cats certainly burns calories, at least I used to be quite exhausted after few hours when I had part from old fishing pole, bit of string and cardboard butterfly which made flying butterfly toy, enough large room and they used to run after that until panting, with 5 cats always at least one was recovered when others were panting so there was no rest for me and they surely let me know if I did not play enough with that.

Playing with cats is also lot of fun, I think that seeing their joy of playing motivates one to push that little bit more even feeling tired, thus they are excellent personal trainers :D

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job everybody!  And yes, getting started is half the battle.  After that you can get yourself to do just "10 more minutes" or whatever. It's usually after the first 10 minutes or so of running that I feel like "yeah, I can get this workout done."

Are you still running JTbo?

You're gonna have to share pictures of the bench once you get one, Tammat.  Can't wait to see it!

I didn't run yesterday; I had clinical 2 days in a row so that gets to be to much on my feet.  This morning I ran 29 min (2.55 mi) without stopping. 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job everybody!  And yes, getting started is half the battle.  After that you can get yourself to do just "10 more minutes" or whatever. It's usually after the first 10 minutes or so of running that I feel like "yeah, I can get this workout done."

Are you still running JTbo?

You're gonna have to share pictures of the bench once you get one, Tammat.  Can't wait to see it!

I didn't run yesterday; I had clinical 2 days in a row so that gets to be to much on my feet.  This morning I ran 29 min (2.55 mi) without stopping. 
Oh no, I can't run anymore I think, after that pain in knees even walking is such that I can't walk more than few hundred meters until I start to feel those same pains in knees, so I ride bicycle instead, seems to be that it had not much long term effect to that.

I have never been much of a runner actually, runners have slim legs, not these kind of large diameter blocks, but good bit with large bones is that they are also strong.

Maybe end of the next week I can start exercising again, these brakes from it are also bad, it can be hard to start again, but then again at least for me there is huge urge to exercise, but when sick it is better not to, also after fever ends there is some period of time when one really need to avoid exercising as there is increased risk of pneumonia, or that is what doctors told me and as I have almost once died for such, I try to do my best not to experience same thing again.

But it is truly a pain when you start feeling better and have this urge to go out cycling or chopping wood and when you really should not do anything of such for period of time, that gets me then very edgy I have found.

I guess it is when you have managed to kept up more or less regular exercising for a year or so that there comes this need, so it will be more difficult without exercise than starting, might be less than a year, but it does indeed comes at some point so even doing a little just keep at it and everyone just do as much as you feel good, it is better not to bite lip and do more but better to do little less and more often.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I can't run anymore I think, after that pain in knees even walking is such that I can't walk more than few hundred meters until I start to feel those same pains in knees, so I ride bicycle instead, seems to be that it had not much long term effect to that.

I have never been much of a runner actually, runners have slim legs, not these kind of large diameter blocks, but good bit with large bones is that they are also strong.

Maybe end of the next week I can start exercising again, these brakes from it are also bad, it can be hard to start again, but then again at least for me there is huge urge to exercise, but when sick it is better not to, also after fever ends there is some period of time when one really need to avoid exercising as there is increased risk of pneumonia, or that is what doctors told me and as I have almost once died for such, I try to do my best not to experience same thing again.

But it is truly a pain when you start feeling better and have this urge to go out cycling or chopping wood and when you really should not do anything of such for period of time, that gets me then very edgy I have found.

I guess it is when you have managed to kept up more or less regular exercising for a year or so that there comes this need, so it will be more difficult without exercise than starting, might be less than a year, but it does indeed comes at some point so even doing a little just keep at it and everyone just do as much as you feel good, it is better not to bite lip and do more but better to do little less and more often.
Perhaps you did too much in the beginning (running and knee pain)?  I've done that before, and I couldn't exercise for months because of it.  "Slow and steady" wins the race for sure!

I have blocks for legs too, and I'm slightly obese.  A nurse I know does triathelons, and he's got legs bigger than the standard cement block.  No joke!  He runs and bikes A LOT.  Anyway, running or not, you're getting in good exercise and that's what matters.  Keep it up!  If you feel that you can do a little now, then that's probably he best thing to do.  Obviously overdoing anything is a problem.  I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Triathletes look great don't they. It would be a pretty tough sport.

I did my first workout by myself today. Woo Hoo!! I really enjoyed it. I did shoulders, biceps, quads and abs. In hindsight I think I messed up my shoulder presses. Gripped the bar wrong and had my hands too wide. I didn't hurt myself so I hope it's ok. My abs have no strength. I'm a shocker at my ab exercises.
I will post a pic of my bench when I get it. It's just going to be very basic but I really need it.
You guys are all going great. Keep up the good work.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graduated from my c25k program today!  Ran 30 minutes nonstop, a little over 2.6 mi.  I think I'm going to stick to 30 min running for a while and get a solid base under me before moving on to another program.

Yeah, triatheletes are pretty amazing.  So versatile.  Good job on recognizing importance in form!  It's so easy to wiggle and get hurt under too much weight, etc.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Triathletes look great don't they. It would be a pretty tough sport.

I did my first workout by myself today. Woo Hoo!! I really enjoyed it. I did shoulders, biceps, quads and abs. In hindsight I think I messed up my shoulder presses. Gripped the bar wrong and had my hands too wide. I didn't hurt myself so I hope it's ok. My abs have no strength. I'm a shocker at my ab exercises.
I will post a pic of my bench when I get it. It's just going to be very basic but I really need it.
You guys are all going great. Keep up the good work.
My mother used to do that triathlon thing some tens of years ago, she still does lot of workouts and certainly is far better shape.

Recently doctor told her that she should start exercise to reduce her weight, as she is very short but heavy build their formulas and papers tell all wrong of course, her morning routine still includes 120kg weights for example, even she is retired she helps old or disabled people where she needs to lift persons that weight more than her, so she bursted into laugh of disbelief at doctor's office and doctor did not believe her at all, only when she picked up doctor with the chair there was some sort of consensus of weight issue.

Mountain biking is excellent for abs, every uphill is where they get good workout, climbing uphill with mtb is from chest to toe and heel training as one need to balance the bike and have that fluent motion going so that bike does not stop every half crank turn. Shoes that attach to pedals really helps with that aspect.

Also shin area muscles will get lot of training if using shoes that clip onto pedals as one can lift, push and pull back/forward addition to pushing downwards to pedals, from front to bottom and back one kind of scoops like bull scoops ground with front leg or a cat, then pull up and from there fluently push kind of sliding to forward and then push down, that way with both legs one gets constant power and much better workout for leg muscles than anything else I have tried. It is also pedaling technique that pros use. Also that is where abs come to play too as using those one can make more solid base for legs to operate.

Last time I did abs I got to about 200 and then got bored, I used to get max of 10 about two years ago, that much has bicycling and wood chopping done :)

Here is something that might give some inspiration, this bicycler is Danny MacAskill, he never had done any workouts until for his video "imaginate" where he started to have health issues and hard to start doing some workouts, also some back operation etc. but before that, just bicycling, there is lot of interesting videos about him at Redbull's channel.
[video][/video]

I can't even imagine to do anything of such, even simple wheelie makes me need to gasp some breath and I have lot of balance issues with a wheelie alone, but he is the elite of the whole World, still gives lot of inspiration to keep at it as there is still lot for me to improve, 15kg loss would be good for example :D

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was first video of such riding style I saw and I was bit of shocked to see how some climbs hills with jumping while I have to use lowest gears possible and still to go slow :D

This is Max Schrom, he holds two Guiness world records, so maybe he has some more exercise done than my barely 2 years of gentle riding on gravel roads :D
[video][/video]

I like that video, it shows the strength and skill and as I just watched it again I got huge urge to go bicycling, but have to still recover for a week even starting to be better already.

Here is another one of his videos, I would be happy to have even that level of stamina, there is no way for me to get that level of balance and control :)
[video][/video]

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah. I can do that on my bike!!!:lol2:

Awesome video JTbo.
When I saw that video I did ride hybrid bike, which was setup more towards MTB, I had trouble driving straight, no way I could do such tricks as those.

Then I did switch to MTB and it is so much easier to ride, I have no issues of stopping and stay on saddle without touching ground for a moment and then continue riding. But I have no idea how it is possible to hop so high and do all of such things they do on videos.

@peaches08, indeed, looks almost to be a proof that magic does really exists and they are using it :)

But those are great motivation for me, they seem to be so free to do whatever they like when riding, their body is not restricting like mine seem to be rather large ballast that I try to drag at times, but getting out there and riding has reduced that a bit and I think that if I just keep going and doing, even if it some times very little, eventually I can do so much more with bike and of course in every other area too.

Danny MacAskill's latest video is where he does such riding with road bike, similar they use in Tour de France, but I think he had bit fatter tires, worth to check out from YT.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had two 30 minute sessions on my exercise bike so far this week.  I WILL get in my 3rd today.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walked 3.2 mi in 52 min.  Had my Sketchers on so my legs got a good workout.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ran 30 min, but only 2.55 mi today since my legs were a bit tight from yesterday's walk with Skechers.

Off to shower and then a local gym to pass out flyers for school, everybody keep exercising!

Last edited:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did get a 3rd session in for last week - rode my exercise bike yesterday for 44 minutes.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good exercising people!

I trained yesterday. It was awesome. My heart was racing. Sweat was pouring out my head. I liken it to giving birth. The last lift I give everything I have and I'm afraid I grunt. Do other people make noises? Surely they do. Or should I be wearing a gag??!!! :lol3:
I did chest, back and quads. Still the same exercises but an extra set. Today I feel sore in all the right places. Yay!
The best thing of all is that I can see a slight difference in my body. It's slight but it's there.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good exercising people!

I trained yesterday. It was awesome. My heart was racing. Sweat was pouring out my head. I liken it to giving birth. The last lift I give everything I have and I'm afraid I grunt. Do other people make noises? Surely they do. Or should I be wearing a gag??!!! :lol3:
I did chest, back and quads. Still the same exercises but an extra set. Today I feel sore in all the right places. Yay!
The best thing of all is that I can see a slight difference in my body. It's slight but it's there.
Well done! :D

Oh yes, primal roar will give one that little extra of primal push to get that last bit done :D

I curse like a sailor and roar like a bear when moving those darn logs of wood, they are much longer than me and much thicker than my head, so they are quite heavy, I need quite often that little bit of extra push and sometimes even rather small ones can be hard, I have measured 40 to 60kg from even a small one, I have not measured those big ones as I'm afraid they would destroy my scale.

Even pro weigh lifters know that noise makes power, they make lot of noise when getting those heavy weights up into air.

I did today 40 minutes of bicycling, I was going very slowly as I'm not still feeling perfectly well, however slowly improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.