The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ran 26 + 3.5 = 29.5 mi today.  I probably should have waited a bit after the morning coffee, I could feel it in my throat.  GERD stinks!  LOL!  Meh, I got it done so no biggie.

The incline exercises really change stuff, doesn't it?  You wouldn't think that it would make that big of a difference but it does.  I can't wait to hear about the legs!

And I agree, I want credit for my steps too.  A nurse on the floor that I'm precepting on has something like a FitBit...but I can't remember the number of miles she told me that she averaged.  It was a lot, I remember that.

Cool on the chopping, JTbo!  That's hard work!  Makes me think of Rocky IV...lol!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Peaches, I always exercise first, then do my coffee.....I don't have GERD, but still feel better. And it gives me something to look forward to. Good job on your running!

Tammat, I can't wait to hear what he says about legs. I know I had been doing calf raises, then a physical therapist told me to stop. She said that with as much walking and the elliptical that I do, I don't need calf raises. But I'm curious to know about those darn thighs. And any strengthening exercises, too. You see, we are going to be asking questions! 

3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning (Am working on laundry, so I figured the treadmill would be a good bet right now.)

2 miles on the elliptical

And speaking of coffee...............time to make some!

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only 8 miles bicycling and 2 hours wood chopping, however bicycling was first to strong headwind and then back with tail wind, 25MPH average speed on 4 miles back with mountain bike.

I had heart rate monitor on and it did show 158 at maximum, typically 100-120, my heart rate is around 45 at rest. At morning when not got up from bed it can be tad below 40, that is because two years of regular exercising, also full days of physical working, firewood, garden etc.

Today I'm having a flu (sore throat and bit of fever) so I had to limit a bit and not get above 160 heart rate, also had to limit amount of workout.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good work everybody. @JTbo  chopping wood for two hours would be a workout alright!!

Today I did flat press, bent rows, pull down, squats, lunges, leg curls, deadlifts and that was it I think? I'm pretty delirious when I finish! I guess the squats, lunges, leg curls and deadlifts will all be good for the thighs. Slow movements work the muscles better too. I have been lunging like crazy with Jill. I was even doing jumping lunges at one stage with 5kg dumbells but today I did them slowly and they were harder.

Keep Going everybody!!!!

oh yeah. Is GERD a gastric reflux? that would be awful. Running is hard enough without contending to that. You are going great Peaches.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3.25 miles on the elliptical this Monday morning.

3.58 wonderful, glorious, fantastic miles during lunch (OMG, it's just outstanding outside today!)

Good work, people!

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good work everybody. @JTbo
 chopping wood for two hours would be a workout alright!!

Today I did flat press, bent rows, pull down, squats, lunges, leg curls, deadlifts and that was it I think? I'm pretty delirious when I finish! I guess the squats, lunges, leg curls and deadlifts will all be good for the thighs. Slow movements work the muscles better too. I have been lunging like crazy with Jill. I was even doing jumping lunges at one stage with 5kg dumbells but today I did them slowly and they were harder.
Keep Going everybody!!!!
oh yeah. Is GERD a gastric reflux? that would be awful. Running is hard enough without contending to that. You are going great Peaches.
Slowly and longer seem to work best for me, also I try to keep exercise quite light (as light that I feel that I could keep doing whole day) to train that base which helps me keep going longer.

For strength training I then few times a week do harder workout where muscles start to ache a bit, also will get my lungs worked out really well.

Longest bicycle rides have been around 6 hours, also I have chopped wood for 7 hours some days, two years ago I barely could split a single log of wood, then I just started slow, kept at it and now I can do more than I have ever been able to, but I still want more, so more workouts needed :D

My goal is such at the moment that there should be no daily task that would feel hard work, after I get there, maybe more speed for bicycling, haven't thought that far yet :D

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ran 27 + 2 = 29 min. 

Squats are a terrific all-around leg exercise!  Lunges too.  Sounds like a great program, Tammat!  And yes, GERD is reflux.  I was diagnosed this past New Year's.  I had no idea that I was dealing with it until I started Rx strength Zantac for it.  I had no idea that I was so uncomfortable...I figured everybody dealt with it I suppose!

That's kind of scary, JTbo.  Are you on blood pressure medication?  Or has your resting heart rate always been that low?  Good on you for keeping an eye on it.

Keep exercising everybody!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ran 27 + 2 = 29 min. 

Squats are a terrific all-around leg exercise!  Lunges too.  Sounds like a great program, Tammat!  And yes, GERD is reflux.  I was diagnosed this past New Year's.  I had no idea that I was dealing with it until I started Rx strength Zantac for it.  I had no idea that I was so uncomfortable...I figured everybody dealt with it I suppose!

That's kind of scary, JTbo.  Are you on blood pressure medication?  Or has your resting heart rate always been that low?  Good on you for keeping an eye on it.

Keep exercising everybody!
I should take blood pressure medication, but I'm not taking, I consider my heart rate too low for that.

Mother has heart rate below 40, but she is in better shape that I am, however I might get to 40bpm after a year or so as my body will get better with training.

15 years ago I could get to 190, but these days 170 is probably the full maximum. I like 100-120 best though.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should take blood pressure medication, but I'm not taking, I consider my heart rate too low for that.

Mother has heart rate below 40, but she is in better shape that I am, however I might get to 40bpm after a year or so as my body will get better with training.

15 years ago I could get to 190, but these days 170 is probably the full maximum. I like 100-120 best though.
Wow, good luck with that.  I see a lot of CKD patients on the med-surg floor so high blood pressure scares me.  My resting systolic has been getting into the 130's and that scared me into quitting smoking and getting into better shape.  Thankfully my resting diastolic and resting heart rate are within normal limits, but only recently have I noticed an improvement with hypoglycemia symptoms.  It never got really low (high 80's at the lowest) but it was enough for me to be symptomatic:  lightheaded, sweating, etc.  Running has really helped to reduce that.  I've also noticed my resting systolic inching downward...a good thing!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, good luck with that.  I see a lot of CKD patients on the med-surg floor so high blood pressure scares me.  My resting systolic has been getting into the 130's and that scared me into quitting smoking and getting into better shape.  Thankfully my resting diastolic and resting heart rate are within normal limits, but only recently have I noticed an improvement with hypoglycemia symptoms.  It never got really low (high 80's at the lowest) but it was enough for me to be symptomatic:  lightheaded, sweating, etc.  Running has really helped to reduce that.  I've also noticed my resting systolic inching downward...a good thing!
I'm not sure if my blood pressure is really as high as they claim though, 24 hour measurement was taken so that I rode 70km + 70km with bicycle on those days and had done 70km two days earlier, had quite bit of stress because of tight schedule etc. In my books such measurement could of not have very good scientific value.

Anyway I have forgotten plan to live forever, better live at full life, enjoying every moment, if it is few years shorter then it is, living really long might become bit boring :D

My true blood pressure should be quite ok however because my workouts have put me quite ok shape and rest heart rate has gone done because of that.

73/131 with 53bpm is one blood pressure measurement from last summer that I have up here, another is 81/133 with 46bpm, which is from evening, first is at morning, those were with my own meter when I was relaxed.

Generally I don't trust much to doctors, they work so rushed pace here that there is no way they have chance to look whole picture so they just guess most typical options or that is at least my experience.

They have measured 120/200 blood pressure from me at doctor's office, that caused them almost to panic and I was threatened to not allowed to leave, had to focus really hard to slow pulse and stress level down, good thing I have practiced with heart rate monitor to how slow down my pulse, helps with shooting :)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I heard something on the news about new blood pressure standards. They're thinking 140/90 is still OK, but anything over that should be monitored. I have blood pressure issues, too. A beta blocker will reduce the heart rate, I think, but the calcium channel blockers do not (I think that's the way it is). I've been using Bystolic (beta blocker) now for about two years. As long as I walk, it does its job.....but if I don't walk for longer than two days, my blood pressure starts to creep up, even with the meds.

Exercise is really the best way to go. I read (somewhere quite a while ago) that a good exercise, twice a day, is probably the best thing you can do for your blood pressure. A good exercise will help your blood pressure for about 12 hours.

3.25 miles on the elliptical this morning

3.50 miles walking during lunch

BTW, thought you might be interested.....I got my Fitbit email this morning on my progress last week. I ended up with 111,842 steps and 51.57 miles for the week. My best day of the week was 7.96 miles and my average was 7.37 miles. I'm burning an average of of 2,389 calories a day. (You know, if I could stop eating, I'd lose some of this weight!)

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard something on the news about new blood pressure standards. They're thinking 140/90 is still OK, but anything over that should be monitored. I have blood pressure issues, too. A beta blocker will reduce the heart rate, I think, but the calcium channel blockers do not (I think that's the way it is). I've been using Bystolic (beta blocker) now for about two years. As long as I walk, it does its job.....but if I don't walk for longer than two days, my blood pressure starts to creep up, even with the meds.

Exercise is really the best way to go. I read (somewhere quite a while ago) that a good exercise, twice a day, is probably the best thing you can do for your blood pressure. A good exercise will help your blood pressure for about 12 hours.

BTW, thought you might be interested.....I got my Fitbit email this morning on my progress last week. I ended up with 111,842 steps and 51.57 miles for the week. My best day of the week was 7.96 miles and my average was 7.37 miles. I'm burning an average of of 2,389 calories a day. (You know, if I could stop eating, I'd lose some of this weight!)
Wow! Way to go! 2,389 calories. :clap: That's awesome. You deserve it after all that peddling and stepping :D

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we're taught that 140/90 is pre-hypertension.  200/120 would freak out any healthcare practioner...that's a serious health risk.  Glad you were OK, JTbo!

I ran 22.5 min this morning.  I didn't run as long as I wanted since I was searching for better lit areas to run at 5:30 am.  But, I got a run in!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

3.50 miles walking during lunch

That is a lot of miles and calories, well done :D

If you add your daily base calorie consumption to burned calories, I think you end up near 4,000 calories a day as an average, so despite eating, I think there will be changes, but it may take a while to really show up, that it was at least with me :)

Only thing running here has been nose, fever and all that, poor thing about spending time with sick is that sickness can get into one self.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@JTbo I hope you are feeling better soon.
  I hate being sick. I'm a terrible patient.

Came up with a great idea late last night: run by the airport!  It's concrete but lit and at 4:30am there's not any traffic to speak of (I have to cross a traffic circle).  So today I'm so proud to say that I ran 29 min nonstop.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Jtbo, I hope you're feeling better soon! 

Yay, peaches on your run! 
That's wonderful!

3.25 miles on the elliptical this morning.

3.25 miles walking during lunch.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3.5 miles on the elliptical this morning (I was going to stay in bed this morning. Then I figured I'd do just one mile. And then I felt pretty good, so I kept going.)

3.60 miles walking during lunch.

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:   I hate being sick. I'm a terrible patient.

Came up with a great idea late last night: run by the airport!  It's concrete but lit and at 4:30am there's not any traffic to speak of (I have to cross a traffic circle).  So today I'm so proud to say that I ran 29 min nonstop.
Woo Hoo!! Thats awesome. :clap:Well done.@Winchester that's all it takes. Just get started. Good job :clap:

Yesterday I did shoulders: shoulder press, lateral raises. biceps: arm curls, incline curls. Abs: weighted sit-ups, bum roll ups. triceps: press down rope, under grip press down.

I'm starting to get my head around it and I'm getting less nervous each time. On Saturday I'm going to try legs and biceps by myself. I need to get myself a weight bench and then it's all systems go at home.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bit over year ago I thought that I would like to try running thing as I felt my legs being enough strong, so I did ran and walked, usually ran about 400 meters as at that point my air intake capacity was maxed out and I started to get effects of not getting enough air, then walked about 1km to get pulse settle down.

I did that for 20km distance and got few blisters and those popped and got new ones to same places, I still have the scars from that, but worse was that tendon/muscle at inside of knees took it bad, also little bit of runner's knee, so I had to spend next few months barely able to walk.

I did run on gravel most of that. Also my leg muscles were not too much tired from that, so without those problems I could of ran much more, also some time after that I got asthma medication and that more than doubles what I can do as air intake does not become an issue almost at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.