The Esoteric Philosophy Thread

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I know we have a lot of armchair philosphers around here, and we also have many deep-thinking members! So Jenn has inspired me to post a headache of a thread, the philosophy thread!
Let's make it fun, though, not so dowdy and serious we all are like this:

So....I'll start:

My favorite branch of philosophy are the Classics! I am totally in love with Aristotle, who taught that the intellectual Good was higer than any dogma and any one relgion, therefore, what really was the ultimate moral good?
I loved Socrates and Plato, but Ari just got my heart!

Then I discovered Sarte and Camus, and went a little bonkers.....

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ari? As in me? Lol! (I know, you're talking about Aristotle, no worries!)

As for my fave philosophers... I'll have to think of that for a while.

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bonkers? From Sartre and Camus?!? Go figure!

As Ari has already been spoken for...

...Spinoza, DeBeauvoir, Mill and Rousseau are among my favourites.

Oh, and because I wouldn't be much of an armchair philospher if I didn't believe in my own theories, I'm right up there with Ari.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I was going to add Rousseau and DeBeauvoir, there used to be a way I could edit my polls and now it's not there! I also wanted an Other category. What do you think of Simone? Love her or hate her? Are you modernist or classical? or mid-age?

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Though in this case, I'm going to choose the extremely prolific Karl Marx.
Of course, being a comrade of Mik and Lex's doesn't hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vespacat

Though in this case, I'm going to choose the extremely prolific Karl Marx.
Of course, being a comrade of Mik and Lex's doesn't hurt.
Are you going to vote??

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just the thing... from my own personal reading, I find value and relevance in many different perspectives. Yet, if I believe in one point strongly enough, I'll argue it 'til the cows come home! (insert cow icon/smile here).

I think Nietschze is interesting, but do I truly believe anything he has to say... not a chance!

Not much for Existentialism, really.

Originally Posted by sashacat421

Well I was going to add Rousseau and DeBeauvoir, there used to be a way I could edit my polls and now it's not there! I also wanted an Other category. What do you think of Simone? Love her or hate her? Are you modernist or classical? or mid-age?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go for Voltaire - he was more practical and had a wicked sense of humour which he used to point up the problems in society.

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are making me feel really, really dumb.

My favorite philosopher has always been my father's father. He didn't have much formal "schoolin'" but was wise beyond imagination.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't studied philosophy so am feeling a bit like Amie,
but I have always enjoyed the philosophy of Will Rogers.

(I voted bathroom wall. Can always find snippets that will make you think... )

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I go for Voltaire - he was more practical and had a wicked sense of humour which he used to point up the problems in society.
blick.
Voltaire was merely a copycat. he always went out of france, and returned announcing other philosophers thoughts as his own. Charismatic though

I'm a Nietzche fan, and also Marx (I see that as almost more politican tho.)

but as for nietzche.. I suppose it's a required part of being part of the goth movement. A bit "edge of the void"

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, no need to feel that way AT ALL!

Actually, the great thing about philosophy is that it represents the appeciation of ideas, and there are self-taught people in this world who I imagine would have a wealth of amazing ideas.

It's having the ability to WRITE about those ideas that brings people recognition.

Originally Posted by Emma's Friend

You guys are making me feel really, really dumb.

My favorite philosopher has always been my father's father. He didn't have much formal "schoolin'" but was wise beyond imagination.

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, no formal study is required to enjoy philospophy.

And yes, the bathroom wall in bars can certainly provide profound insights at times.

Originally Posted by gemlady

Haven't studied philosophy so am feeling a bit like Amie,
but I have always enjoyed the philosophy of Will Rogers.

(I voted bathroom wall. Can always find snippets that will make you think... )

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goth movement... Well, you must be a fan of Poe? I still like him, though I lost interest in the Goth "movement" about 15 years ago...

I don't know about you, but I find it WAY too pretentious to stomach, and these days, it's all industrial/cybergoth. But hey, I still pull out my Bauhaus and Siouxsie when I'm feeling kinda nostalgic.

Originally Posted by turtlecat

blick.
Voltaire was merely a copycat. he always went out of france, and returned announcing other philosophers thoughts as his own. Charismatic though

I'm a Nietzche fan, and also Marx (I see that as almost more politican tho.)

but as for nietzche.. I suppose it's a required part of being part of the goth movement. A bit "edge of the void"

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vespacat

Goth movement... Well, you must be a fan of Poe? I still like him, though I lost interest in the Goth "movement" about 15 years ago...

I don't know about you, but I find it WAY too pretentious to stomach, and these days, it's all industrial/cybergoth. But hey, I still pull out my Bauhaus and Siouxsie when I'm feeling kinda nostalgic.
:p i'm growing out of it sort of. Once the silliness wears off there's still that little dark part that's strangely attracted to black clothing and night time- but yeah.. now that thie kids are doing it it's gotten worse.

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh, trust me... if you wore black in your teens, and you're still wearing it now... I can assure you you'll be wearing it well into your 30s!
I still have a penchant for black velvet ANYTHING!

One thing I absolutely LOVE that would be associated with Goth kids today would be the Emily Strange stuff. I love EVERYTHING about her (esp. her black kitty posse!), because of course, she reminds of myself during my teens.

Originally Posted by turtlecat

:p i'm growing out of it sort of. Once the silliness wears off there's still that little dark part that's strangely attracted to black clothing and night time- but yeah.. now that thie kids are doing it it's gotten worse.