The Beijing Death Camps

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

So basically what your saying is that the feral cats that so many people here on the site look after are a nuisance and a pest?.
Yes they are a nuisance and pests. Feral cats are devastating to the local environment, they decimate bird populations and threaten public health. It is okay if we have 1-2 of these excellent predators per square mile, but in urban areas, there are hundreds of cats per square mile. While the what exactly is the best method to control this problem is debatable, I don't think China has any choice.

It's certainly not humane in the way their capturing them!. I had to remove a video in this thread because it was too upsetting. I had to see the animals being thrown from the top of a truck in those cages, not to mention how they were kicking the cages and prodding the animals with rods!
I am afraid China doesn't have a lot of resource to spend on cats, and they certainly can't afford to set up nice little "humane traps" with tasty tuna baits to lure the cats in. The country still needs to improve education and provide better health care to hundreds of millions of impoverished farmers, which they are trying to do. Forget the cats, and let China takes care of its people first.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yiplong

Forget the cats, and let China takes care of its people first.
Another great leap forward?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes they are a nuisance and pests. Feral cats are devastating to the local environment
Then we'll have to beg to differ because ferals and strays are around through no fault of their own. It's the incompetant human who doesn't bother to spay and neuter, so be prepared for some posts back on your term for them.

Forget the cats, and let China takes care of its people first.
Again we will have to beg to differ on that sentence, because these are defenseless animals who look up to mankind to speak up for them.

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Then we'll have to beg to differ because ferals and strays are around through no fault of their own. It's the incompetant human who doesn't bother to spay and neuter, so be prepared for some posts back on your term for them.
It doesn't matter whose fault it is. As long as there is a problem, it must be resolved. At no point in my comment did I suggest it was the cats' fault to be such a nuisance.

Again we will have to beg to differ on that sentence, because these are defenseless animals who look up to mankind to speak up for them.
All known facts suggest that no animal ever looks up to mankind to speak up for them. These poor cats are no doubt helpless, but so are the local birds being decimated by them. Incompetent pet owners are the root of the problem, and they should be punished for creating the mess, but that doesn't mean the cats shouldn't be killed. If you are willing and capable of financing a better life for the cats, please do, otherwise you must let the Chinese deal with their problem.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
China has a horrid record on human rights and regularly committs attrocities against their own people. While it really isn't surprising that the Chinese government has no respect for a "lower life form" such as these cats that are viewed as nothing more than pests and vermin, civilized societies treat all life with respect.

There are huge differences between what is happening to "clean up" Beijing for the Olympics and US (and other countries') shelters. From what is being reported (and as bad as it sounds, we all know how communist countries control just about everything being reported to put the best foot forward...just look at Tibet), it sounds like there is no humane death for those unfortunate enough to be caught. They starve to death, or die of disease. Yeah, that's nothing in comparison to someone holding a cat in their arms while they are injected and go to sleep and never wake up. Yes, there are still shelters with carbon monoxide chambers, but they are the exception not the rule.

This is a board made up of cat lovers. One of my cats, one of the cats who does sleep on the bed and is a spoiled princess, was once a feral cat - a pest and vermin in the eyes of not just the Chinese but others as well. We work hard to change that perception in as many people as we can. We have been part of large campaigns to make round ups and extermination of feral cats illegal here in the states and in other parts of the world. This is what we believe - that ALL life deserves respect, even if the only option is to end that life. That includes our food as well as our companions, and of course other human life. What we've seen of how the Chinese government is handling the feral cat issue is anything but humane.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

At no point in my comment did I suggest it was the cats' fault to be such a nuisance.
No, but you called them a nuisance at the end of the day, and i quote

Yes they are a nuisance and pests.

These poor cats are no doubt helpless, but so are the local birds being decimated by them.
Birds get caught by cats no matter where in the world we are?

Incompetent pet owners are the root of the problem, and they should be punished for creating the mess, but that doesn't mean the cats shouldn't be killed.
I'm sorry, but being an animal lover i'm finding your views on the subject very hard to comprehend?!

If you are willing and capable of financing a better life for the cats, please do, otherwise you must let the Chinese deal with their problem.
It doesn't matter what country an animal is in because i have freedom of speech and i'll use it.

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

One of my cats, one of the cats who does sleep on the bed and is a spoiled princess, was once a feral cat - a pest and vermin in the eyes of not just the Chinese but others as well. We work hard to change that perception in as many people as we can. We have been part of large campaigns to make round ups and extermination of feral cats illegal here in the states and in other parts of the world.
Don't get me wrong though. I am not downplaying the importance of the admirable work cat lovers have done to improve the treatment of feral cats in this country. But one must understand that not all countries have enough resource to devote to such noble quest. When resource is limited, priority should be given to people, not animals.
It is simply wrong to connect treatment of cats with civility. If at all, it has to do with difference in wealth level of US and China. The Chinese are simply busier with putting food on the table for their family or building a new school than with humane treatment of cats, and in my opinion, their priority is correctly placed.

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

No, but you called them a nuisance at the end of the day, and i quote
I did call them a nuisance, and that's what they are, a nuisance. I blame the pet owners, not the cats for starting the problem, but that doesn't change the fact that feral cats are a nuisance in many parts of the world, including Beijing. Just because you love your car or the ferals in your neighborhood doesn't mean they should be loved by everyone and they should go sell their shirts to provide better welfare for cats.

It doesn't matter what country an animal is in because i have freedom of speech and i'll use it.
I don't know what you are talking about.
Freedom of speech isn't even an issue at private conversation. It is not like I am a government agency and trying to shut you up.

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'm lost for words that someone who is an animal lover can say something like that

This isn't even a private conversation
This is just a method of population control. We kill deers in this country when they overpopulate an area, Australians shot cats because they are a threat to the native species down there, this is just how it works. I don't see the Americans or Australians get panned for what they did to those poor animals. This article cited by the OP and many posters here were simply biased against the Chinese. Now don't get me wrong, a person hurting the cats unnecessarily in the process speaks to his twisted state of mind, but the fact that such persons invariably exist should not taint the effort of the Chinese to keep their city clean and free of pests. We round up and kill cats in this country too. Now, some cat lovers prefer a no-kill, CNR approach, but that isn't always the best way to do around the round. One must allow for adjustment of the method to suit the local situation.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The way helpless animals are treated within a culture, can be viewed as a barometer that indicates the maturity and emotional health of a people.

TCS's members represent many different countries and cultures but one thing that we have in common is a profound love and respect for cats. Cats cannot speak for themselves. Members here, in many ways, are attempting to be their voice.

No country is perfect. In the US, where I live, it is an ongoing challenge to re-define human and animal rights, then implement positive changes. The reality is that change must come from the bottom up....
it's people, not it's government.

According to you, in China, there are large pockets of great poverty....
why then, doesn't an educated person like yourself stand up and help change things for the better, rather than defending the status quo and a government that does not represent the best interests of it's people?

Because of the upcoming Olympics, a spotlight is shining on China...
I hope that you choose to join the many Chinese people who are struggling to make a positive change for her people and animals.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose the welfare of the birds is important but the treatment of cats is not?

Cats are euthanized in the US every day. However, they are humanely trapped, and humanely put to sleep with an injection. They are not crammed in cages so tight they can't move and tossed from trucks. They are not skinned for their fur. They are not eaten!

No, China is not the only country that mistreats animals, but they sure seem to keep cropping up as Number 1 on the list.

and please, tell me HOW feral cats are a threat to HUMAN Health???

How anyone can defend the Chinese government, and the Chinese people participating in this cruel slaughter is just beyond me. It sickens me that someone like that could be a member of this site.

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes they are a nuisance and pests. Feral cats are devastating to the local environment, they decimate bird populations and threaten public health. It is okay if we have 1-2 of these excellent predators per square mile, but in urban areas, there are hundreds of cats per square mile. While the what exactly is the best method to control this problem is debatable, I don't think China has any choice.

I am afraid China doesn't have a lot of resource to spend on cats, and they certainly can't afford to set up nice little "humane traps" with tasty tuna baits to lure the cats in. The country still needs to improve education and provide better health care to hundreds of millions of impoverished farmers, which they are trying to do. Forget the cats, and let China takes care of its people first.
I am not a person who lives in cat la-la land, but a realist so I do understand the problem of overpopulation. The problem that I have with the way the Chinese are handling the cat overpopulation is their methods.

Their 'One Child' rule to control the human population is achieved by birth control and abortion. While controversial, I think the world would react much differently (and rightly so) if the Chinese controlled the human population by rounding up children, cramming them into cages, throwing those cages off trucks, poking the terrified children with sticks, beating them to death, skinning them alive while they screamed in pain and terror, etc. Even tho the end result may be the same....preventing human over-population....that method would would be considered monstrous, cruel and horrible.

Most animal lovers understand that often times animals must be sterilized, euthenized and their populations must be controlled. But it must be done HUMANELY. That is the issue.

And many also believe that cruelty to animals is closely related to cruelty to human beings. Even Ghandhi said that "A country can be judged based on how they treat their animals". A wise man indeed.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rotobay

I am not a person who lives in cat la-la land, but a realist so I do understand the problem of overpopulation. The problem that I have with the way the Chinese are handling the cat overpopulation is their methods.

Their 'One Child' rule to control the human population is achieved by birth control and abortion. While controversial, I think the world would react much differently (and rightly so) if the Chinese controlled the human population by rounding up children, cramming them into cages, throwing those cages off trucks, poking the terrified children with sticks, beating them to death, skinning them alive while they screamed in pain and terror, etc. Even tho the end result may be the same....preventing human over-population....that method would would be considered monstrous, cruel and horrible.

Most animal lovers understand that often times animals must be sterilized, euthenized and their populations must be controlled. But it must be done HUMANELY. That is the issue.

And many also believe that cruelty to animals is closely related to cruelty to human beings. Even Ghandhi said that "A country can be judged based on how they treat their animals". A wise man indeed.

Very well said. Thank you!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rotobay

This deserves to be repeated.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow i am stunned at the twist this thread has taken. bottom line is as another poster so rightly pointed out there are 100's and 100's of cats suffering and dying just in the short time i have taken to type this.

i will be boycotting all sponsors involved and educating friends and family to this atrocity. emails will be sent tonight also.

rotobay, your words come from the hearts of nearly everyone on this site. we believe all creatures should be treated with respect and dignity, whatever their purpose is. be it farm animal or crufts supreme champion, all animals feel pain and despair. i pray that we and many others can and will make a difference to those poor creatures.

shambles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Also keep in mind that while the cat in your household is a lovely pet, these being rounded up and killed are a nuisance and pests. The Chinese authority is not grabbing cats out of the arms of their owners and killing them.
No they're merely using scare tactics to make the Chinese people believe their pets, as well as cats in general, are a massive threat to their health! Think of those kindergarten children who witnessed the six cats being beaten to death - a fear of cats as being something deadly has surely been engrained into their minds now.

This makes me absolutely ill. After the dogs and cats being skinned alive for fur I didn't think it could get much worse but this is on par with that. China has got to be the worst offender when it comes to animal cruelty, oh what I would like to do to the people who carry out these heinous acts!

On a slightly more sensible note, my university only sells Coke products on campus so I will be printing up fliers educating people on this and urging them to boycott Coke products. We are one of the largest universities in the country, surely we could have a large and noticible impact!