The Amazing Resilience Of Feral Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that you caught him!!! This neighbor certainly might be someone with whom to cultivate a friendship. As for the vets, it is the same here. One of my vets will not do ferals, but they have never been rude about it and I have been forewarned. The other one will take in any feral at any time for treatment and if they are in a trap (Havahart) will give them a sedative shot by tipping the trap so that they lean a little bit to one side.

You must be so completely relieved and happy that at least Charlie has care and safety.
Thank you so much. Yes I am. I slept last night for the first time in a long time. It's tough because he's a really sick boy, but at least he's safe and has a full tummy.

I was thinking just now that a tactful thing the vet employee could have said was "we're sorry, we just don't have the equipment to treat a feral cat" and at least faked some empathy. I sent a letter to the vet - I'm hoping it's something he'll address with the employee and call me about.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is what I stated in one of my posts in my "net trapping" thread.
I trapped all my ferals once to fix them, but they will never go into that trap again and now that I have a sick cat I'm trying to find a way to catch her again.
My former vet used to say that cats are animals that don't want to be helped.
That (comment from the vet) is disgusting !! But sadly, after 30 years of trying to help ferals, doesn't surprise me.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That (comment from the vet) is disgusting !! But sadly, after 30 years of trying to help ferals, doesn't surprise me.
I've heard every kind of comment from the vets and other customers in the waiting rooms of different practices and clinics.
An even more disgusting comment from a vet was that they would not treat feral and stray cats, they would only treat family pets! This was a comment to when I walked in his practice with an elderly cat I had found on the road
I have found a sick cat
She was sick (uninjured, fortunately) and needed help. And when he said he didn't want to have nothing to do with a stray, I said to him that the cat was coming home with me and that from that moment on she was MY cat.

It's hard to have to listen to certain comments from people and professionals, as if dealing with those unlucky creatures wasn't sad and bad enough!

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard every kind of comment from the vets and other customers in the waiting rooms of different practices and clinics.
An even more disgusting comment from a vet was that they would not treat feral and stray cats, they would only treat family pets! This was a comment to when I walked in his practice with an elderly cat I had found on the road
I have found a sick cat
She was sick (uninjured, fortunately) and needed help. And when he said he didn't want to have nothing to do with a stray, I said to him that the cat was coming home with me and that from that moment on she was MY cat.

It's hard to have to listen to certain comments from people and professionals, as if dealing with those unlucky creatures wasn't sad and bad enough!
Soooo true. On my best day I'd give it back, but when I've got an injured animal in my arms and my stomach is in a knot with worry, an uncaring comment is truly like being kicked when I'm down.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is what I stated in one of my posts in my "net trapping" thread.
I trapped all my ferals once to fix them, but they will never go into that trap again and now that I have a sick cat I'm trying to find a way to catch her again.
My former vet used to say that cats are animals that don't want to be helped.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The vet I see who does not treat ferals is actually very decent about it, but they do take in rescued litters and find homes for them. And I agree with not telling the vet off as you might need them again and don't want your anger to reflect back on the care your animal might have some day.

I am so glad that you are getting some rest and that the new vet is treating you and Charlie decently for your expense.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet I see who does not treat ferals is actually very decent about it, but they do take in rescued litters and find homes for them. And I agree with not telling the vet off as you might need them again and don't want your anger to reflect back on the care your animal might have some day.

I am so glad that you are getting some rest and that the new vet is treating you and Charlie decently for your expense.
Thank you ! I set up a nanny cam in his "hospital" room yesterday and I'm so glad I did. When I've gone in to check on him his body posture had me worried, but looking back at the clips, he's actually been walking. With difficulty, but walking.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are really taking excellent care of Charlie. No matter where this goes, you will always have the peace of mind that he was treated and cared for and safe.
I really appreciate that. I'm saving the security video clips so that if he leaves me soon, in that first 48 hours afterward when I'm in "the hole" I can watch and remember that he let me scratch his face, and he purred !

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are really taking excellent care of Charlie. No matter where this goes, you will always have the peace of mind that he was treated and cared for and safe.
So Charlie is holding his own - mostly resting and eating and answering nature's call, but several times a day I'll lie down beside him and scratch his head, etc. I'm so touched that almost immediately he started purring. Tonight he rolled himself so that he was next to me. I kissed his tummy as I scratched him. I don't know if cats know that kissing is a sign of love, but I've wanted to do it since I've had him safely inside. He's so thin and so wobbly but has such a fighting spirit. I go about my day trying to focus on all that I have to do, but he's always on my mind.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that you caught him!!! This neighbor certainly might be someone with whom to cultivate a friendship. As for the vets, it is the same here. One of my vets will not do ferals, but they have never been rude about it and I have been forewarned. The other one will take in any feral at any time for treatment and if they are in a trap (Havahart) will give them a sedative shot by tipping the trap so that they lean a little bit to one side.

You must be so completely relieved and happy that at least Charlie has care and safety.
I am. It's a huge weight off of my heart. It's been 2.5 weeks now and he's still eating well. I've got him set up beside the bed now. He still hisses as I approach him, but purrs when I scratch his head. He's still not walking - just kind of shuffling from food and then back to his hidey box/bathroom. I'm going through dozens of pee pads, but I'm not complaining. Just to know he's inside, safe, and have a full tummy is a comfort.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Charlie cannot believe his luck. Despite some slight wariness, he knows that you are his friend.

I have to use pee pads with my diabetic cat who has neuropathy, and in the long run it is not that much of an issue and certainly keeps things sanitary.

This reminds me of my cat Hamy back in 1996 who was seemingly an outdoor feral who I trapped on the last day as I was leaving my old house. When she got to the new one and realized that she had a safe room to spend her days in, she simply climbed on the bed and never once even walked out of the room. That was all she had wanted.

I am so glad that Charlie is safe and completely understand your relief that the ordeal is over for both of you.