The Amazing Resilience Of Feral Cats

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Annie, now an inside kitty, was a deaf, brain injured, feral mama cat who was crying for help and miscarried two fetus's when I learned of her. I cried buckets after I saw the fetus's and her bloody backside, sure she couldn't survive outdoors without veterinary care. I wasn't even sure she was finding and eating the food and water I left each night. She was. It took two months but I was finally able to win her trust and scoop her up and bring her in. She's got issues - poops and pees on the floor, but is the sweetest cat and has a special place in my heart.

A male feral that I trapped and took to a low cost spay neuter clinic. I got a call that he had a possible broken foot. Couldn't release an injured cat so I raced to set up a "hospital" room in an already crowded condo, and brought him home. I called an old country vet that I trusted who said that cat's bones were amazingly resilient and if he had rest, they'd heal. I was skeptical but also knew the challenge of trying to find a vet willing to treat a feral cat, the possible cost, and how a feral cat would react to being transported, anesthetized, and bandaged. Three days in the "hospital room" and he was walking without a limp.

A female feral from the same colony who appeared to have a broken pelvis. Complete unsteadiness in her back limbs the first time I saw her. Knife through my heart. So I grappled with chasing her and causing further injury but get her help, or... ?? So I've been feeding her - putting the food close enough that she doesn't try to run. In two days she's regained use of her right leg. I've still got the carrier at the ready if I can get close enough to pick her up, but in the meantime I'm grateful and amazed that she's already recovered so much.

It's easy and understandable to advise "get the cat to the vet". But the reality when dealing with ferals is so much more complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Annie, now an inside kitty, was a deaf, brain injured, feral mama cat who was crying for help and miscarried two fetus's when I learned of her. I cried buckets after I saw the fetus's and her bloody backside, sure she couldn't survive outdoors without veterinary care. I wasn't even sure she was finding and eating the food and water I left each night. She was. It took two months but I was finally able to win her trust and scoop her up and bring her in. She's got issues - poops and pees on the floor, but is the sweetest cat and has a special place in my heart.

A male feral that I trapped and took to a low cost spay neuter clinic. I got a call that he had a possible broken foot. Couldn't release an injured cat so I raced to set up a "hospital" room in an already crowded condo, and brought him home. I called an old country vet that I trusted who said that cat's bones were amazingly resilient and if he had rest, they'd heal. I was skeptical but also knew the challenge of trying to find a vet willing to treat a feral cat, the possible cost, and how a feral cat would react to being transported, anesthetized, and bandaged. Three days in the "hospital room" and he was walking without a limp.

A female feral from the same colony who appeared to have a broken pelvis. Complete unsteadiness in her back limbs the first time I saw her. Knife through my heart. So I grappled with chasing her and causing further injury but get her help, or... ?? So I've been feeding her - putting the food close enough that she doesn't try to run. In two days she's regained use of her right leg. I've still got the carrier at the ready if I can get close enough to pick her up, but in the meantime I'm grateful and amazed that she's already recovered so much.

It's easy and understandable to advise "get the cat to the vet". But the reality when dealing with ferals is so much more complicated.

Any veterinarian/veterinary board that has issue with my opinions/observations should take it up with me directly, not with this forum host.
I should have said that I only have access to the the colony and the injured cat when they're on the business side of a tall fence. The injured cat sits half in half out of a hole under the fence and if I try to approach her she wriggles herself under it the fence. As I walked up to feed her/them just now I realized how heartless it sounded not to grab the injured kitty and get her to safety/care.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree completely. Dealing with ferals is an entirely different story and basically they are holding all the cards. Sometimes you don't win with them, but you have to remember that you provided them with care that they would never have received elsewhere.
I really appreciate your saying that. Watching this injured kitty and not being able to help her yet is breaking my heart.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Feral cats are tough, but they are just as susceptible to diseases as any other cats. Because they are exposed to so many dangers outside they are prone to injury and, without proper nutrition and medical care, even a small injury could prove fatal.

It's always best to try and trap a sick or injured cat. If your regular vet isn't willing to treat a feral, the vets who perform spays and neuters for TNR groups should be able to help.

Even if it's just a case of keeping the cat crated and providing regular food with pain killers or antibiotics it could save the cats life. Injured cats tend to hide away, so by providing them with a safe crate to hide in and regular food you're giving the cat exactly what he or she needs.

I'm not talking about your case specifically tnrmakessense tnrmakessense I know you're doing all you can to help the cats you care for. I just don't want anyone to read this thread and then think it's not worth trying to get feral cats in their area to a vet if they seem sick.

Would it be possible to get the injured cat with a drop trap? If she really has broken her pelvis it could heal in such a way that leaves her with a permanent disability.

Sending you vibes, I hope you can get her soon.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I currently have a female feral who after almost 2 years has finally decided she likes being scratched and petted. I didn't think we would ever reach that point. And she has been through tough times. Her ears have been frosted and about 2/3 of her tail is gone. The area around the base of whats left has no fur. It almost looks like a weird poodle cut. I wonder if she got it caught in something as it doesn't look like a battle wound. So she is a survivor. To make a long story short she had kittens this summer under my house. She dropped weight like crazy and was constantly hungry so I guessed she had a big litter. I was dreading having to belly crawl under there to try and find them so they wouldn't be totally wild. And just in time she finally made a decision that I was an OK person and a couple of kittens turned up in the basket she used to sleep in. And then a couple more. And then another, wow 5, and then yet another for a total of six. So she brought me her kittens because she just couldn't feed them all. After a couple weeks of me feeding them and picking them up and playing with them she went past her last barrier and started rubbing on my hand and decided she liked being touched. Anyway she finally found the good life, 2 years in the process. I think it's the longest it has taken me to get to the friend stage with a feral.
And now I have another older battled scarred tom that has been staying around. He is a tuxedo and is blind in one eye. I see him at night with my flashlight and only one eye glows. He also has a big scar across his back. I haven't gotten within 10 feet of him. But he likes the company of my other cats and he likes the food. He has put on weight since I first saw him. I hate to think of what he has gone through but he is a survivor.
Once I get more pictures of the kittens I will start a thread for them.
Mom1.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take care of the ferals and the strays around here, so I know exactly what you are talking about. You can't take care of them all but you do what you can. My vet gives me over the counter antibiotics when I need them, he trusts me to know when I need them. He has made house calls, and does not charge me, or charges me just for the medications, for the ones I bring in that are not mine, he is wonderful....it breaks my heart to know some are suffering, but i also knwo what it would do to them to be trapped and brought into a vet. The stress would be far greater than their injuries. I have seen cats recover from horrific injuries that I would have never dreamed they could recover from. Food, rest, and water are what tehy needed. To have food available and ready to eat is truly a lifesaver for many, I think most would die without it.
You have a good heart, you will be blessed for caring for these lucky little ones!

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feral cats are tough, but they are just as susceptible to diseases as any other cats. Because they are exposed to so many dangers outside they are prone to injury and, without proper nutrition and medical care, even a small injury could prove fatal.

It's always best to try and trap a sick or injured cat. If your regular vet isn't willing to treat a feral, the vets who perform spays and neuters for TNR groups should be able to help.

Even if it's just a case of keeping the cat crated and providing regular food with pain killers or antibiotics it could save the cats life. Injured cats tend to hide away, so by providing them with a safe crate to hide in and regular food you're giving the cat exactly what he or she needs.

I'm not talking about your case specifically tnrmakessense tnrmakessense I know you're doing all you can to help the cats you care for. I just don't want anyone to read this thread and then think it's not worth trying to get feral cats in their area to a vet if they seem sick.

Would it be possible to get the injured cat with a drop trap? If she really has broken her pelvis it could heal in such a way that leaves her with a permanent disability.

I take care of the ferals and the strays around here, so I know exactly what you are talking about. You can't take care of them all but you do what you can. My vet gives me over the counter antibiotics when I need them, he trusts me to know when I need them. He has made house calls, and does not charge me, or charges me just for the medications, for the ones I bring in that are not mine, he is wonderful....it breaks my heart to know some are suffering, but i also knwo what it would do to them to be trapped and brought into a vet. The stress would be far greater than their injuries. I have seen cats recover from horrific injuries that I would have never dreamed they could recover from. Food, rest, and water are what tehy needed. To have food available and ready to eat is truly a lifesaver for many, I think most would die without it.
You have a good heart, you will be blessed for caring for these lucky little ones!
Thank you so much for your words. Here's to a world full of vet's like yours !!

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I currently have a female feral who after almost 2 years has finally decided she likes being scratched and petted. I didn't think we would ever reach that point. And she has been through tough times. Her ears have been frosted and about 2/3 of her tail is gone. The area around the base of whats left has no fur. It almost looks like a weird poodle cut. I wonder if she got it caught in something as it doesn't look like a battle wound. So she is a survivor. To make a long story short she had kittens this summer under my house. She dropped weight like crazy and was constantly hungry so I guessed she had a big litter. I was dreading having to belly crawl under there to try and find them so they wouldn't be totally wild. And just in time she finally made a decision that I was an OK person and a couple of kittens turned up in the basket she used to sleep in. And then a couple more. And then another, wow 5, and then yet another for a total of six. So she brought me her kittens because she just couldn't feed them all. After a couple weeks of me feeding them and picking them up and playing with them she went past her last barrier and started rubbing on my hand and decided she liked being touched. Anyway she finally found the good life, 2 years in the process. I think it's the longest it has taken me to get to the friend stage with a feral.
And now I have another older battled scarred tom that has been staying around. He is a tuxedo and is blind in one eye. I see him at night with my flashlight and only one eye glows. He also has a big scar across his back. I haven't gotten within 10 feet of him. But he likes the company of my other cats and he likes the food. He has put on weight since I first saw him. I hate to think of what he has gone through but he is a survivor.
Once I get more pictures of the kittens I will start a thread for them. View attachment 302553
Thank you for sharing your story. If you're like me, the little victories with these poor terrified creatures are better than winning the lottery (o.k., maybe a bad example.)

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thank you. Me too. I've done little else and thought of little else since I saw her. I explained in a second post why trapping is nearly impossible.

And I agree, infections can be life threatening and broken limbs on an outside cat put it in great danger. I wasn't implying those situations don't need medical care - I was just trying to offer a glimmer of hope to everyone like myself who is trying their hardest to get a sick or injured cat and for whatever reason, just can't at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well by nothing short of a miracle, a neighbor I'd never met had caught the injured kitty yesterday, and this morning we connected when I was feeding the others in the colony. Charlie is a very sick boy - so sick that the vet was afraid to sedate him to do an xray - but he's had an exam, Convenia shot and pain meds. And he's already eaten a full can of food since getting back from the vet. So he's safe and warm and dry.

I'm incredibly disappointed with my affordable, old country vet's staff. When I called after picking Charlie up from the neighbor (he wasn't in), and asked the staff if I could bring him in for an xray, pain med's and Convenia shot, the person told me with no compassion at all that they won't put their staff at risk by treating ferals, and that I should call animal control. When I replied that animal control will only euthanize ferals, she said nothing. Even after explaining that I do T/N/R as well as being a former volunteer at the county shelter and on the Animal Control Board, and that the number of cats with rabies is minute according to the Department of Health numbers, she remained cold and said that she was "just repeating the policy of the staff". So I went back to another former vet who has a wonderful compassionate staff, but is very expensive.

Here's to the day when there is at least one affordable vet in every town that is willing to treat feral cats.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful, I'm so happy to hear he's safe now.

A good vet that will treat feral cats is invaluable. I took one of my cats (feral born but not feral anymore) to a vet in the next village who put her in a crush cage before he would examine her. I explained that she was perfectly fine with being handled but he refused to examine her any other way.

The vet we have now is amazing. He never refuses to treat an animal. He just puts on his wild beast gloves if there is any danger of being bitten or scratched.

I hope everything goes well with Charlie. Please keep us updated. Sending you vibes for a speedy recovery.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I stated in one of my posts in my "net trapping" thread.
I trapped all my ferals once to fix them, but they will never go into that trap again and now that I have a sick cat I'm trying to find a way to catch her again.
My former vet used to say that cats are animals that don't want to be helped.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so glad that you caught him!!! This neighbor certainly might be someone with whom to cultivate a friendship. As for the vets, it is the same here. One of my vets will not do ferals, but they have never been rude about it and I have been forewarned. The other one will take in any feral at any time for treatment and if they are in a trap (Havahart) will give them a sedative shot by tipping the trap so that they lean a little bit to one side.

You must be so completely relieved and happy that at least Charlie has care and safety.