Testing the theory - red cat gender

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

I've always found this fact so interesting, genetics are amazing! Are we counting bi-color in our poll or solid only?
Bi-color is OK but not tri-color!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The animal attendant from the shelter I volunteer at said that she's been noticing more orange females in the last couple of years. She's been doing this job for 15 years so has seen a LOT of cats, and is just noticing a bit of a change. Interesting huh?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are we counting purebred reds? If so I have 2 male red cats (and voted as 2). If not count that as 1!

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

The animal attendant from the shelter I volunteer at said that she's been noticing more orange females in the last couple of years. She's been doing this job for 15 years so has seen a LOT of cats, and is just noticing a bit of a change. Interesting huh?
I've also heard that orange females are becoming more common than they used to be. However in the last 8 years I've had 13 orange ferals and only 1 of them was female.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've always found this fact so interesting, genetics are amazing! My sweet little Sierra gets to be in our red and white poll!

If we want to count my ferals, I have a red and white boy, Little Gem, and one solid red boy, Henry. A manx, Bob, who was rehomed with my parents is also a little boy.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just thought I'd add this... I'm 99 % sure that Cookie & Suzie are littermates. He is an orange tabby and she is a torbie, except for this orange nose of hers.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zak&rocky

Just thought I'd add this... I'm 99 % sure that Cookie & Suzie are littermates. He is an orange tabby and she is a torbie, except for this orange nose of hers.
We had a strong red cat presence in my old neighborhood. It was farm land and home to a LOT of feral cats. The feral litters were mostly red males and tri-color girls (mostly torbies but the occassional calico). I always wondered if the 2 were closely related genetically - the girls get the added black color that the males didn't. Over the years we had 4 female reds and countless red males. The remainder of the females with the exception of a single black, a single grey/white and a single brown tabby, were always tri-colors.

Looking at the poll results right now, there is a much stronger presence of red females than I would have expected. Keep voting folks! I'll do a count in a couple of days.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted on behalf of my extended family.
My MIL has the biggest red girl I have ever seen

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No reds at the present, but I can recall having only one female, Jade (2000-2004). All the rest (and there haven't been many!) were male. In fact I can only recall 2 - Butterscotch and Julius.

Wait! Just remember Buckminster! But he was more of a buckskin/buff color.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

We had a strong red cat presence in my old neighborhood. It was farm land and home to a LOT of feral cats. The feral litters were mostly red males and tri-color girls (mostly torbies but the occassional calico). I always wondered if the 2 were closely related genetically - the girls get the added black color that the males didn't. Over the years we had 4 female reds and countless red males. The remainder of the females with the exception of a single black, a single grey/white and a single brown tabby, were always tri-colors.

Looking at the poll results right now, there is a much stronger presence of red females than I would have expected. Keep voting folks! I'll do a count in a couple of days.
I think the one/more than one choice may skew the results. With "most" people who have one or two cats, the results may be different than with our group...some of whom have LOTS of kitties. So showing one vs some could be one girl and 8 boys! LOL!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I dont own any oranges anymore, but the 2 I did have were both males. And my friend that has a orange kitty is also a male.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I think the one/more than one choice may skew the results. With "most" people who have one or two cats, the results may be different than with our group...some of whom have LOTS of kitties. So showing one vs some could be one girl and 8 boys! LOL!
I know - thought about how to do this better - I'm hoping people will list the number if more than one and I plan to count them. I have 6 males and 1 female so that would skew it back to the norm.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one orange male and I've known several others, all boys and all with the sweetest, friendliest temperaments. I've never known any orange females, but the majority of my friends have male cats. Orange boys are such cuddle-monsters!