Testing the theory - red cat gender

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read that of all the red/orange/ginger cats in the world, about 10% are female and the rest are males. Who has what kind and if you have more than one, please post the count.

Please do not count tri color calico's and torties/torbies - they are nearly almost always female!

I have 6 males and 1 female.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Are you counting calicos and torties?
I would say no since tri colors are nearly all female and it would skew the results. I will count red/white combos.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just had a litter of kittens brought in the other day.. there were 5, 3 calicos, and 2 orange and white.. so i figured they were both boys. But one is definately a girl.

But I got two orange males here in my house :p

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one orange boy, Garfield. His brother Odie looked just like him. Their Mom Tigger was orange and white. I had Jill, a female orange girl. And nasty Natalie was an orange girl, with one orange daughter. Twinkie aka Rusty, orange male. And Gold Rush was an orange and white boy.

Out of eight orange cats, four were male and four were female!
I read that 70% of orange cats are male.

I believe that I am skewed towards females, since I am in rescue. We mainly rescue preggers girls, so probably have more females over all than males. For the poll, I only listed Garfield, since he is the only one I still have!

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I currently have 3 orange males who were formal ferals. I have had a total of 15 orange cats in my feral colony and only one of them was a female. I love my orange boys

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peanut Butterum is a red and white girl, and Blondie Rumpleteaser is a totally red girl, but she is soft red, actually leaning towards "buff".

Hobo Skimbleshanks is a red and white, 100% curtain climbing, refrigerator darting, cabinet diving boy!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Red and white girl here

two red and white boys in ajoining homes

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a ginger and white tabby male, and I fostered a white and ginger female last year. And like Becki, I mainly have females due to fostering, we rarely get males (other than kittens) in our rescue.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of a litter of 4....1 choc tortie girl and 3 orange boys! So that backs up the thought that orange cats are mainly boys