Terrified Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
update:

Things continued to improve through last night. I found what I call 'the sparkle toy'--those strips of colored aluminum at the end of a wand. She LOVED it. I got her to play pretty fiercely, jumping out of boxes and onto her pedestal. She's been sitting at my feet, even sniffing my shoes and pants a little. She ate well and her diarrhea is improving.

Today is not so good, and I don't know why. After I brought in her breakfast, which she hasn't touched in four hours, she didn't seem to want to play with the sparkle toy. It was back to being cautious and a little scared of it. I'm getting the wide eyes again, no soft eyes or blinking, and now when I go in she retreats to her hiding spot. I see no evidence that she doesn't feel well, but I will watch her closely. Her checkup ten days ago was perfect.

Is it at all normal for her to revert back to frightened kitten mode overnight? I can think of nothing that might have happened. Nothing fell, no loud noises (the garbage truck scared her yesterday morning), and I have not accidentally spooked her at all.

I will certainly work with her today, but losing all the progress we have been making sure is discouraging.

Does anybody know what might be going on?

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:

I was overreacting in the post above. It's been two steps forward, one step back, and so on for the past week, but overall steady improvement has been seen. She's gone from merely tolerating me petting her to demanding it. I'm getting purrs and meows and while I can't pick her up yet, I am able to lift her off the floor a little without her panicking.

She had her spay yesterday and is recovering nicely. She's a bit angry with me, but I'm already seeing signs that she's getting over it.

maple spay day .jpg

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's definitely a Bengal and a beautiful one at that.

Here is a pic of my two half-Bengals taken 17 years ago. I don't have any up-to-date pics of my boys as I lost a lot when my hard drive died.
They're beautiful! They definitely have that big cat look in their noses.

Sorry about your hard drive!