Terrified Kitten

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Brought home a new kitten yesterday. She's still cowering in her room, which is to be expected, but she's not eating much. Just half a can of food since last night, and no dry food. Briefly here's her history:

My friend decided on a whim to get a cat. He's got money and always goes big, so he got a bengal. On Craigslist :mad: I don't think he put in enough time to get close to her, but she started to come out of her shell anyway. Once he took her to the vet, however, she retreated again, and never really bounced back. This tells me she might be one of those extra sensitive cats.

When he realized he might have made a mistake in getting her, he offered her to me. I accepted. I'm still not sure if I'm keeping her or not, but if not, I will find her an excellent, well-vetted home. In the meantime, I want to see if we have chemistry.

SInce bringing her here, she's been hiding, really hiding. I've dealt with frightened new kittens before, but never like this. I did some research on socializing kittens as well as ferals, as her behavior seems a little extreme to me. Lots of conflicting advice, even from this site.

I'm not impatient, I know it may take a while, but since this is new to me, I'd like to be able to gauge her progress. Otherwise I may not know if what I'm doing is right.

Additionally, I'm supposed to start her on Pyran-50 tomorrow. Since I haven't touched her yet, I fear giving her this medicine twice a day will ruin our relationship or, at least set her progress back....way back.

Any insights or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Maybe your vet might have suggestions regarding giving her the med. Which gen is she?

I'm posting a couple of articles for both you and other readers;
Is My Cat A Bengal Or A Bengal Mix? – TheCatSite Articles

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – TheCatSite Articles

By the way, canned food is better for her anyway.

Try low volume classical harp music, it's known to do wonders for kittens and cats. (not 24 - 7, just now and then and see if she begins to relax with it).

Also, a purr toy and/or a heartbeat toy could be very helpful.

Hopefully you don't have to go this route because it takes a special person to not just love a Bengal but to understand and respect them and I think you could be that person :), but if necessary this could give a little bit of information, although again, a Bengal is another level of commitment.
“kittens To Good Homes” – How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens – TheCatSite Articles

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brought home a new kitten yesterday. She's still cowering in her room, which is to be expected, but she's not eating much. Just half a can of food since last night, and no dry food. Briefly here's her history:

My friend decided on a whim to get a cat. He's got money and always goes big, so he got a bengal. On Craigslist :mad: I don't think he put in enough time to get close to her, but she started to come out of her shell anyway. Once he took her to the vet, however, she retreated again, and never really bounced back. This tells me she might be one of those extra sensitive cats.

When he realized he might have made a mistake in getting her, he offered her to me. I accepted. I'm still not sure if I'm keeping her or not, but if not, I will find her an excellent, well-vetted home. In the meantime, I want to see if we have chemistry.

SInce bringing her here, she's been hiding, really hiding. I've dealt with frightened new kittens before, but never like this. I did some research on socializing kittens as well as ferals, as her behavior seems a little extreme to me. Lots of conflicting advice, even from this site.

I'm not impatient, I know it may take a while, but since this is new to me, I'd like to be able to gauge her progress. Otherwise I may not know if what I'm doing is right.

Additionally, I'm supposed to start her on Pyran-50 tomorrow. Since I haven't touched her yet, I fear giving her this medicine twice a day will ruin our relationship or, at least set her progress back....way back.

Any insights or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
With ANY feline, time, patience, and love are key. As long as she is eating and drinking well, using her box, and safe, she is doing well. What is the drug for?
With anyone, feline, human or ???, it takes time to adapt, to familiarize with environment, water and food, and other living beings. No time at all has elapsed since she joined you. There is nothing to worry about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi
Maybe your vet might have suggestions regarding giving her the med. Which gen is she?

I'm posting a couple of articles for both you and other readers;
Is My Cat A Bengal Or A Bengal Mix? – TheCatSite Articles

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – TheCatSite Articles

By the way, canned food is better for her anyway.

Try low volume classical harp music, it's known to do wonders for kittens and cats. (not 24 - 7, just now and then and see if she begins to relax with it).

Also, a purr toy and/or a heartbeat toy could be very helpful.

Hopefully you don't have to go this route because it takes a special person to not just love a Bengal but to understand and respect them and I think you could be that person :), but if necessary this could give a little bit of information, although again, a Bengal is another level of commitment.
“kittens To Good Homes” – How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens – TheCatSite Articles
Not sure what you mean by "which gen is she". She did not come with papers. I doubt she is a pure Bengal. He only paid $1000 for her, which is cheap especially in my super expensive city.

I didn't agree to take her because of her lineage, but because I wanted to make sure she was rehomed properly. I was not expecting to have her here so soon, but he went away on business and was thinking of boarding her.

I just ordered a purr toy. It will arrive tomorrow. I will download some harp music. And contact her vet.

Her spay is already scheduled!

Thanks, this has been helpful.

With ANY feline, time, patience, and love are key. As long as she is eating and drinking well, using her box, and safe, she is doing well. What is the drug for?
With anyone, feline, human or ???, it takes time to adapt, to familiarize with environment, water and food, and other living beings. No time at all has elapsed since she joined you. There is nothing to worry about.
Well, she's only eaten half of a 2.8 oz can since last night. She has used her box, though. How concerned about the eating should I be? Should I offer hersome Fancy Feast? I don't want her to get hooked on it (it's basically like eating at McDonalds) but I want her to eat. Some Nutri-cal? Treats?

Since she's not feral and has been around humans her whole life, should I be a little more persistent with spending time with her? I read somewhere that sometimes kittens are frightened because they see people as predators and it's important to remind them they they are the predator. Should I try to touch her or is it to soon? And if I do, should I be willing to get a scratching? She's too small to do any real damage and I'd be willing to take a hit if it made her feel better. Or would that encourage aggression?

I don't want to use a glove. Wouldn't it frighten her more? I'd rather she got used to my hand.

So many questions, sorry. I feel like this is my first cat!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ask your vet what they think regarding her eating, and you could try something in this that could help entice her

https://thecatsite.com/threads/any-good-tips-to-get-your-cats-to-eat-share-them-here.396694/unread

Here's some more info regarding Bengals, the generations are explained under the History but since there weren't any papers, she might fall into a category that's explained in the article I posted above;

Bengal cat - Wikipedia
Should I try to touch her or is it to soon?
I honestly don't know if I'd push her yet. She may come out on her own which would be optimal in my opinion, in other words if you sit on the floor and read something pleasant to her (so that your voice is pleasant) now and then, that she'll see you as a friend.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure what you mean by "which gen is she". She did not come with papers. I doubt she is a pure Bengal. He only paid $1000 for her, which is cheap especially in my super expensive city.

I didn't agree to take her because of her lineage, but because I wanted to make sure she was rehomed properly. I was not expecting to have her here so soon, but he went away on business and was thinking of boarding her.

I just ordered a purr toy. It will arrive tomorrow. I will download some harp music. And contact her vet.

Her spay is already scheduled!

Thanks, this has been helpful.

Well, she's only eaten half of a 2.8 oz can since last night. She has used her box, though. How concerned about the eating should I be? Should I offer hersome Fancy Feast? I don't want her to get hooked on it (it's basically like eating at McDonalds) but I want her to eat. Some Nutri-cal? Treats?

Since she's not feral and has been around humans her whole life, should I be a little more persistent with spending time with her? I read somewhere that sometimes kittens are frightened because they see people as predators and it's important to remind them they they are the predator. Should I try to touch her or is it to soon? And if I do, should I be willing to get a scratching? She's too small to do any real damage and I'd be willing to take a hit if it made her feel better. Or would that encourage aggression?

I don't want to use a glove. Wouldn't it frighten her more? I'd rather she got used to my hand.

So many questions, sorry. I feel like this is my first cat!
I wouldn't be at all concerned about her eating. She's bound to be unsure of her surroundings at this stage. Almost 3 oz. is good. Just so she keeps eating. Actually, FF is not a bad food. I know every person has his or her own feelings on the subject and preferences. Ingredient-wise, it is not a bad food. I feed Blue Buffalo and Soulistic, and Feline Greenies treats. But I wouldn't hesitate to feed FF if it was called for. I'm not a purist. Good quality food and fresh water, plus some treats that aren't the "T" ones that are implicated in so many sicknesses and deaths, would be what I would want for every cat. Nutri-Cal is not necessary as long as she is eating. I am not a proponent of raw food, but I know others may be. Because our food supply is so far from perfect and because a lot of raw food may be tainted, I prefer a balanced tinned diet augmented with high-quality dry food. My cats generally tend to be very healthy and to live long lives.
Do you have an interactive wand-and-lure toy such as da Bird or Cat Dancer? These are favorites with many cats including mine. I would not play with Maple with hands. Experts discourage it, because a cat will equate any toy with prey and it is not their fault if they bite or claw it --it's natural behavior. Hunt/Catch/Kill/eat/sleep/repeat is the formula.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lol, I just did an edit to my post #5 above, sorry about that :)!

Last edited:

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is the drug for?
Forgot to answer this. It's for intestinal parasites. I didn't look close enough at the bottle: her first dose is on the 7th and she only gets 2 more doses through May 2nd so it will be doable.

Just went in to see her and she was sitting instead of being all crouched down. I'll take this as a good sign.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be at all concerned about her eating. She's bound to be unsure of her surroundings at this stage. Almost 3 oz. is good. Just so she keeps eating. Actually, FF is not a bad food. I know every person has his or her own feelings on the subject and preferences. Ingredient-wise, it is not a bad food. I feed Blue Buffalo and Soulistic, and Feline Greenies treats. But I wouldn't hesitate to feed FF if it was called for. I'm not a purist. Good quality food and fresh water, plus some treats that aren't the "T" ones that are implicated in so many sicknesses and deaths, would be what I would want for every cat. Nutri-Cal is not necessary as long as she is eating. I am not a proponent of raw food, but I know others may be. Because our food supply is so far from perfect and because a lot of raw food may be tainted, I prefer a balanced tinned diet augmented with high-quality dry food. My cats generally tend to be very healthy and to live long lives.
Do you have an interactive wand-and-lure toy such as da Bird or Cat Dancer? These are favorites with many cats including mine. I would not play with Maple with hands. Experts discourage it, because a cat will equate any toy with prey and it is not their fault if they bite or claw it --it's natural behavior. Hunt/Catch/Kill/eat/sleep/repeat is the formula.
If she eats nothing tonight I'll mix some fancy feast in with her food. If that doesn't work, I'll give her 100% fancy feast in the morning. But I don't want her to get hooked on it! How important is premium food, really? She's been eating N & D Kitten. FIsh and pumpkin and chicken and pomegranate. How they managed to sneak pomegranate in cat food I'll never know.

I have her wand toy and a laser pointer, which she previously liked, but she wasn't interested in either. Probably too soon. I'm wondering if smells from past cats are making her anxious.

Also have some Feliway plugged in.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What's wrong with Temptations?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to get involved in polemic, but if you search that brand name, you can read up on it. The corporations refuses to pull it from the market, as a responsible company would. Money is the only thing they care about.
Truthfully, today's supply chain problems and economic woes mean that almost everything we eat can be problematic. Plus, the antibiotics and additives used in feeding the poor animals who become food for cats and anyone else who eats them mean that problems are often present. It's all like playing Russian roulette. My MO is to do the very best I can for my loved ones who are in my care, but I'm not under any illusions that our food supply is trustworthy. Just take a look at all the recalls, for human and/or animal diets, and you'll see what I mean.
For me, the proof is in the results. If my cats live long and healthy lives, are happy and comfortable, that is the best I can hope for for them. And they do. Baby Su is 17 and Elvis is 14. On average, my cats live around 17 or more years. Sammi left us at 21, Rani, at 19. We have lost a little girl to wet-form FIP, probably caused by the vax; and there have also been losses to cancer, HCM, and CRF. But on the whole, my beloved cats have enjoyed good, long lives and good health. Friends feeding FF as their complete diet have had some of their cats live to 23. So I'm not knocking FF.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How important is premium food, really?
It depends on which ingredients you feel strongly for or against -->AND what your cat requires you to feed him (!! speaking for my Big Fella) or her.

I had to look up the pomegranite, it sounds like it's a source of vitamin C, as an antioxidant.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is the kitten? It can take weeks for a kitten to become completely comfortable.

Go ahead and feed Fancy Feast. I feed it to all my cats and they’ve lived to 21 in the past. The classic pates have meat as the first ingredient.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't want to get involved in polemic, but if you search that brand name, you can read up on it. The corporations refuses to pull it from the market, as a responsible company would. Money is the only thing they care about.
Oh wow. I fed Temptations for years. Both Aniki and Rico died of kidney disease. Money always causes problems. We're trained by capitalism to believe that if it costs more, it's better. But what I want from cat food is the inclusion of vegetables because in the wild predators often eat herbivores and I believe it's that way because they benefit from it. I eat a plant based diet and am in great health,

Plus, the food she's eating is very chunky. Large chunks. Whole shrimp. It's supposed to be for kittens. Maybe a pate would be easier for her to eat.

How old is the kitten? It can take weeks for a kitten to become completely comfortable.

Go ahead and feed Fancy Feast. I feed it to all my cats and they’ve lived to 21 in the past. The classic pates have meat as the first ingredient.
I feel better about offering Fancy Feast now. But I'd like to have her eating a higher quality kibble, I used to feed Max Cat.

I assume she's about 4 months.
It depends on which ingredients you feel strongly for or against -->AND what your cat requires you to feed him (!! speaking for my Big Fella) or her.

I had to look up the pomegranite, it sounds like it's a source of vitamin C, as an antioxidant.
Like I said to tarasgirl06, I like that they are getting some veggies. True cats only eat meat, but the animals they eat generally eat veggies. I also like the lack of chemicals and grains in some premium foods. I just want her to eat.

Meekie Meekie Can you post some pics of the cat because I can possibly could tell you what approx gen the cat is and what required approach to use settling her in to her new environment.
Sure.
maple 4.jpg
maple 5.jpg
Maple 3.jpg

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
^The first two are from today. The last one is from her breeder.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some treat brands you could consider are Blue Wilderness and Orijen. Only Natural Pet website may have products you like.

Regarding kibble, a couple of brands I found after in-depth research are Blue Wilderness True Solutions Perfect Coat and Halo Sensitive Stomach Holistic Seafood Medley, and your sweetie can eat All Life Stages foods.

Other canned options could be Purina Pro Plan, Kasiks, Koha, Merrick BackCountry, Tiki Cat, Dr Elseys, Halo and Weruva. If you rotate several brands for her, you can avoid some complications of manufacturer recipe changes that then the cat doesn't like, supply chain issues and other similar problems.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soulistic is made by Weruva, FYI. Blue Wilderness is made by Blue Buffalo.
I like vegetables, too. Some say they don't belong in the feline diet. I say that in the wild, cats eat what their prey, mostly small rodents, has eaten, which is usually grains. I have fed foods with vegetables and fruits, with what I would call success. Max Cat is one brand I always fed with success. We liked the dry Adult Chicken and Adult Salmon formulas. I also fed different canned formulas, many of which had vegetables. But they seem to have eliminated their wet foods except for a few pouched varieties. I prefer the tinned, so I haven't fed any of those.
Since Baby Su and Elvis are 17 and 14, I feed Blue Buffalo chicken "healthy aging" formula for their dry. They love it.