Ten-week Old Kitten Not Eating, Please Help!

tiggsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been fostering two kittens and a mama. The kittens are now weaned, and just had their spay/neuter surgery on Thursday. The female kitten's incision is red, and looks like a little bump is underneath it. The rescue agency is concerned, so I've had to crate her to keep her calm and less active until we can get her in to see someone tomorrow. She has barely eaten anything yesterday and today, and I've tried baby food, different kinds of canned food, tried putting high calorie paste on her gums, and have given her about 7mL of clear pedialiyte. I'm calling the Pet Community Center in the morning where she had her surgery, but any ideas as to how to get her to eat tonight? She also has diarrhea :( which might be from the little tastes of different food (a lick or two of baby food this morning and a lick or two of canned wet food this evening). I'm so concerned, and can't afford to take her to an emergency vet. Also, the crate is in a separate bathroom, away from the other sibling and mom, and I've been getting her out and loving on her periodically. Should I move the crate to where mom and sibling are tonight? Maybe she's also really lonely? Any help and advice is much appreciated!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T tiggsmommy

She may not be feeling well. The little bump by the incision is not unusual. It will go away in time and is nothing to worry about.

Post-Surgical Lumps in Cats: What's Normal?

How long has she had diarrhea?

My guess is she may have picked up a bug at the clinic where she was spayed and it is running its course through her system.

In the meantime, I would put her back with her mom and sibling. That may perk her up!

Continue with the pedialyte. Hopefully, she'll be better tomorrow.

Please let us know!

Will she be getting adopted with her sibling?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's really hard to tell. I'm petting her in my lap, and she's in general pretty warm. I'm so concerned :( she starts purring when I pet her, so maybe that is bringing her comfort at least?

tiggsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may not be feeling well. The little bump by the incision is not unusual. It will go away in time and is nothing to worry about.

Post-Surgical Lumps in Cats: What's Normal?

How long has she had diarrhea?

My guess is she may have picked up a bug at the clinic where she was spayed and it is running its course through her system.

In the meantime, I would put her back with her mom and sibling. That may perk her up!

Continue with the pedialyte. Hopefully, she'll be better tomorrow.

Please let us know!

Will she be getting adopted with her sibling?
Thank you so much for your response! She had really bad diarrhea after given a round of dewormer, and then it got better, then her stools have progressively gotten looser since the surgery. It's especially bad today.

I will move her crate to be in the same room with mom and sibling. I'm hoping the person adopting her will take the sibling, but she's still undecided.

I'm really afraid to go to bed, and wake up to her even worse...or passed away. If she's eaten just a couple of bites of food today, will that hopefully be enough to keep her alive until we can go to the clinic in the morning?

tiggsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
T tiggsmommy

I posted above, but is the incision warm to the touch? Is there any pus?

When did the diarrhea start?
There is no pus, and the incision doesn't feel any warmer than the rest of her body. But it's hard to tell :(

The diarrhea started yesterday, and is worse today.

tiggsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just read the link you shared, thank you!! I'm even more worried now. Especially because it is red, and she's not eating.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T tiggsmommy

I recall your other thread about the diarrhea as well.

She should be okay tonight.

Can you post a picture of the incision please?

Did she receive any vaccines at the time of the spay?

tiggsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yes, she did! I think it's the FVRP (not sure if that's the correct lettering?) that she received.

Thank you for helping me feel better that she will be okay tonight. How much more pedialyte should I try to get in her? She really hates me giving it to her.

She normally is bouncing off the walls. I can tell she really doesn't feel well.

tiggsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This entire foster experience has been so stressful and scary. Literally living on a prayer some nights that they would be okay and make it! Thank you both so much for your quick and amazingly helpful responses!

tiggsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry! Here's a picture of the incision...
What's interesting about the small bump at the incision site is that she came home with it after surgery...I forgot to mention that. Now it looks red and a little more swollen than it was.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T tiggsmommy

Yep, it looks like she may have an infection at the incision site. She probably has a fever, which is why she refuses to eat. She needs antibiotics tomorrow. She feels pretty lousy right now.

It's the vaccine causing the diarrhea, most likely. So two different things going on.

Give her a couple of mLs of pedialyte.

What is the mark down near her leg? Is that a cut?

tiggsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
T tiggsmommy

Yep, it looks like she may have an infection at the incision site. She probably has a fever, which is why she refuses to eat. She needs antibiotics tomorrow. She feels pretty lousy right now.

It's the vaccine causing the diarrhea, most likely. So two different things going on.

Give her a couple of mLs of pedialyte.

What is the mark down near her leg? Is that a cut?
Poor sweet baby! My heart is breaking for her. The mark down near her leg is the tattoo they give for the surgery. Do I need to call the emergency number for the clinic and/or take her in somewhere tonight? I honestly don't have any extra money for this, but if it is life or death, then I need to do something tonight.

tiggsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's asleep on my lap now, and I hate to put her back in her crate bc it just an added stressor for her :( thank you for your kindness and support as I sit here alone with this sweet baby on my lap...and I'm trying not to worry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see the green tattoo. There looks to be a red mark there too.

She will be alright until tomorrow. It is not life or death.

Can you sleep with her tonight? It would give her comfort.

The vet will fix her up tomorrow.

tiggsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are truly my hero, Sarthur2. Truly. Thank you so very much for your support, comfort, advice, and help. I was just thinking of making a little pallet on the floor in my bathroom and letting her sleep next to me in here. Which I will do. Anything I can do to help bring her peace and comfort.

Thank you also for giving me peace that this is not life or death! The red mark next to the green doesn't look like a cut on her in person (though it does in the picture!). It really looks like a red marker line next to the green. Very strange.

tiggsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And she just got up and had more diarrhea and vomited :(