Taxes: How are you filing yours and have you already?

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We filed our taxes online at the beginning of the month! We love doing it this way; it is very easy if you are organized with all your paperwork. We already received the refund and spent it all

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We used to always go to HR Block, but DH owns his own business, so now we use a personal accountant.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We used Turbo tax again...although I used to do it myself via pen and paper...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used H&R Block software the past couple of years. I may just do it online though since my bank is offering it for free (Federal).

Obviously I still have yet to file mine. I JUST got my last W-2. The weirdo company I worked for before sent it to my OLD address instead of my new and played stupid. I had emailed them when I knew this address AND I've been getting my 401k stuff forwarded to me from the company. Now I'm lucky enough to get to monitor my credit scores since I don't know the new renters at our old place.

/RANT

Anyhoo, hopefully this weekend or next weekend... I hope I get money back

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my DH originally did it on turbo tax online thingy, but crap got screwed up and like usual we ended up at H&R block!! They've been doing my taxes since I was 15 so I prefer to do it this way! I never have to worry, CUZ I GOT PEOPLE!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I declared bankruptcy at the end of November so this year I'm having the bankruptcy trustee do it. It's no charge. I could do it myself but that involves prorating stuff and if I go to some place like H&R Block, they charged me $200.00 for a basic tax return a couple years ago (disability income, rent, student loan interest, medical expenses ... all of which I had added up for them and attached adding machine tapes to. I sat there for 2 minutes and watched him enter my numbers into a computer program and then print it out. The whole thing took less than 5 minutes), so I can only imagine the inflated rate they would charge me for a bankruptcy return!!

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have to do most of it myself: I get a ready tax proposal. If I find something wrong with it, I make the necessary corrections. If it's ok, I don't have to do anything. It's always been ok so far.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ryn

I don't have to do most of it myself: I get a ready tax proposal. If I find something wrong with it, I make the necessary corrections. If it's ok, I don't have to do anything. It's always been ok so far.
What is a "Ready Tax Proposal"?

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

What is a "Ready Tax Proposal"?
I really don't know, what I should call it in English. I get a calculation based on all known taxable income and tax-reductable items. If there is something missing, you add it in and send the calculation back with the receipts. If everything is in order, you don't have to do anything. I'ts pretty straightforward if you have no job related expenses. Ie. in my case all my work income is already in the proposal, as well as my student loan as a basis for reduction. If I wanted to buy a new camera or a car for work, I would have to add it in to get the reduction.

Was I making any sense at all?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dh already did this and because Single, No dependants was withheld all last year, we got a nice return, which we have already received.

But, because we definitely make more than $54,000/year (DH makes more than that himself), the fee from Turbo Tax was a lot higher than I'm used to (my past returns only cost me, maybe, $10 to file online).

We've since refiled our W-4s. He doesn't like the idea that the government has "had our money all year, interest free."

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do mine either my hand (pen/paper) or by Tele-file. Being a newely married woman I wanted a little more direction with out having to read a bunch of instructions so I used Turbo Tax online. We fare filing separetely for several reasons and I was a little dissapointed that I couldn't get my tuition credit when filing seperately.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh. Mine are...awful because I'm self employed. Luckily, mommy is a CPA, so she does mine. She ENJOYS doing taxes, so who am I to take away her fun?