Taste of the Wild...weight loss & diarrhea.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by undergunfire

Have you purchased a 15lbs bag within the past 2 weeks, though?
Yes. But since I do not live in the US, the stock may be older than yours. Gee, now I'm starting to worry.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, Undergunfire, dry food is definitely not needed in a cat's diet.

And you're right, too much fish isn't good for cats. Our beautiful felines descended from desert animals, who didn't evolve eating fish (no water in a desert, ya' know *chuckle*). I can't remember what the mechanism is, but too much fish (with "too much" being different for every cat) can cause urinary tract crystal formations, something you absolutely don't want.

To be honest, I think your current priority should be to get them off the TOTW and onto a wholly wet food diet. Once you've done that - and their poos have returned to "normal", then you can start experimenting with different flavors of wet foods to feed.

Just keep a close eye on their litter box habits, especially if either of your cats are boys (males are more prone to UTI issues). Any odd behavior, straining or peeing outside the litter box and you should get them to the vet ASAP for a urinalysis.

One thing in your favor - dry foods generally have to be transitioned slowly to avoid upset digestive systems, however, wet foods can be changed every meal. When I fed canned, I rotated through over 20 different flavors, one can after the other.

Let us know as soon as your cats feel better!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Yes. But since I do not live in the US, the stock may be older than yours. Gee, now I'm starting to worry.
If my local shop has it, I'm going to buy a 15 pound bag tomorrow. So I'll let you all know...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

That's how much I fed mine when they were on canned.
It actually depends on the food - some you will feed 1 - 1 and 1/2 can a day, some you will feed over 2 cans... You need to check the label.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

To be honest, I think your current priority should be to get them off the TOTW and onto a wholly wet food diet. Once you've done that - and their poos have returned to "normal", then you can start experimenting with different flavors of wet foods to feed.
I took the TOTW away this morning and so far they have had wet food and have eagerly eaten it. I mixed some tuna & juice into some chicken wet food earlier...then when I got home just a bit ago I dished out some of the plain chicken. It is Innova...not EVO.

Just keep a close eye on their litter box habits, especially if either of your cats are boys (males are more prone to UTI issues). Any odd behavior, straining or peeing outside the litter box and you should get them to the vet ASAP for a urinalysis.
Both are boys. Their litter box is a huuuuge one from Petco that I keep in a sliding door closet in the hall way. I can't have it out in the open because my dog likes to eat their poo. They have never had "accidents", but I will surely watch out for them.

I could always return the fish flavored food to PetSmart and get some beef/turkey/chicken flavored ones and mix in some tuna juice..then slowly take away the tuna juice. I will only do that, though, if they aren't wanting anything to do with the non-fish wet food.

One thing in your favor - dry foods generally have to be transitioned slowly to avoid upset digestive systems, however, wet foods can be changed every meal. When I fed canned, I rotated through over 20 different flavors, one can after the other.
Does this go for brands, too, not just flavors? Like one week feed EVO, the next week feed something else that might be not as high quality...like Eagle Pack? If that doesn't matter...will it mess them up going from a grain-free wet to a wet including grain?

If so...that would be really cool because I could possibly catch sales!
^ My responses are typed above.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And you're right, too much fish isn't good for cats. Our beautiful felines descended from desert animals, who didn't evolve eating fish (no water in a desert, ya' know *chuckle*). I can't remember what the mechanism is, but too much fish (with "too much" being different for every cat) can cause urinary tract crystal formations, something you absolutely don't want.
It depends - IMO the problem is not being fish, but where they come from, and how they are processed - you want to make sure, if you feed a lot of fish, to feed a low phosphorus and potassium food; preferably of smaller fishes, or from places where mercury pollution are not an issue. Readily available fish based food can definitely be a problem...
As far as the evolution issue - well, cats have come a LONG way since their days in the desert... They didn't evolve eating canned food either.
To the OP: there are many many many studies, that will support very different theories. But the most important thing, is that your cats eat it and do well on it.
I do believe in a grain free diet, and luckily my cats do well on a food that I believe is awesome - but if they didn't, I would have no problem in feeding what they liked and thrived on.
I do like the idea of a mixed dry/wet diet, as many of us are not always available to feed an all wet diet...
It is also less expensive, which can be a factor...
One thing that helps me a LOT in making Bugsy like a more diverse wet diet, is this: http://www.petco.com/product/105048/...-Sprinkle.aspx It lasts FOREVERRRRRRR, and it helps a lot.
Good luck to you!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats have been eating TOTW for 8-10 months now without any issues. I have purchased a small bag recently, about 3 weeks ago. I have been feeding it to 16 cats (mixed in with other foods). They are happily eating the TOTW & the other food.

I urge you to get your cats to the vet - I had a similar experience with Natural Balance & will never feed it again. Many of my cats became ill after eating Natural Balance dry food....some cats just do not do well on certain foods.

And also - did you do a gradual switch to the TOTW, switching from the old food to the new food over a 2 week timeframe? I'm wondering if somehow their digestive tracts weren't thrown off.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

It actually depends on the food - some you will feed 1 - 1 and 1/2 can a day, some you will feed over 2 cans... You need to check the label.
I'd be careful using label recommendations as anything other than initial guidelines, as they sometime way over-recommend feeding amounts. Then watch the cat - if you see an unhealthy weight gain, drop the amount you're feeding a bit; if there's a too-fast or too-high loss of weight, increase the amount a bit. Just like everything else, cats are individuals and nothing works for all of them.

Actually, that includes my recommendation of 6 ounces.

Undergunfire, you can use 6 ounces (wet food) as a starting measure if you're comfortable with it, but let your cats dictate how much to continue with. The only expert on your cat is you (and your cat, of course!).

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My cats have been eating TOTW for 8-10 months now without any issues. I have purchased a small bag recently, about 3 weeks ago. I have been feeding it to 16 cats (mixed in with other foods). They are happily eating the TOTW & the other food.

I urge you to get your cats to the vet - I had a similar experience with Natural Balance & will never feed it again. Many of my cats became ill after eating Natural Balance dry food....some cats just do not do well on certain foods.

And also - did you do a gradual switch to the TOTW, switching from the old food to the new food over a 2 week timeframe? I'm wondering if somehow their digestive tracts weren't thrown off.
I wonder if others aren't seeing an issue because they are mixing it in with other foods? The TOTW was my cats' only diet.

My cats aren't ill...they are acting the same, but they are preferring to not eat the TOTW, have lost some weight, and have a bit of poopy butt. They are due to go to the vet for annual exams soon, we just need to look at our budget to see when we can schedule appointments.

I was thinking earlier that my 3 year old might have a sensitive tummy? My 1 year old had solid poops in the litter box...so I am thinking it is my 3 year old with the poopy butt.

Yes, I gradually switched my cats from Chicken Soup over to TOTW. My cats have been on this food for a month and are just now starting with losing weight and poopy butt.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, this a fast-moving thread! I'm composing a reply to one post and three more pop up!

Undergunfire, switching between brands as well as flavors of wet food is no problem at all. You could swap brands every week, or every day, or even every meal if you like. Variety is important, both for health and to keep your kitties interested. (I believe that the two dozen or so flavors I used to feed may have helped my cats transition so easily to raw. They were already accustomed to eating a huge variety, so throwing down a chicken wing or some liver was perfectly acceptable to them. But I'm guessing, and digressing, too. *chuckle*)

Back on topic....

Glad they're taking so well to the wet food. That's great!

Carolinalima, mercury is a different issue. Since fish isn't really good for them to begin with, I just recommend it be avoided or fed sparingly, which nicely addresses the mercury issue as well.

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow...I am liking the sounds of feeding wet food more and more! Maybe it won't be as costly as I think it would be. I could always rotate feeding very high quality, to just high quality, to something like Authority, etc....whatever I can pick up on sale. Right?? I wouldn't go as low as "grocery store" brands, though...just because I don't think those can be that great of foods. It probably wouldn't hurt if I fed a fish flavor every now and then, correct?

I'm going to return the TOTW tomorrow (got pictures, emailed the company, and kept a sample bag)...and then I will pick up more cans of cat food from the grain store. I will have $30 from returning the TOTW, so I should be able to pick up some big cans for a good price.

I just hope the grain store will take the bag back. Doesn't Diamond have to refund the store...or does the store "eat it"?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Carolinalima, mercury is a different issue. Since fish isn't really good for them to begin with, I just recommend it be avoided or fed sparingly, which nicely addresses the mercury issue as well.
I understand that - and again, it is not the fish, but where they come from, and how they are processed. I feed LOW potassium, LOW phosphorous fish based food, UTI approved to Bugsy. It ALSO comes from unpolluted (well, as much as possible) waters, and I prefer (because of mercury) smaller fish, not on the top of the food chain. I am addressing both issues

Again, going back to what works FOR HIM, since he is allergic to Chicken.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow...I am liking the sounds of feeding wet food more and more! Maybe it won't be as costly as I think it would be. I could always rotate feeding very high quality, to just high quality, to something like Authority, etc....whatever I can pick up on sale. Right?? I wouldn't go as low as "grocery store" brands, though...just because I don't think those can be that great of foods. It probably wouldn't hurt if I fed a fish flavor every now and then, correct?..
Perfectly correct.

Two additional points to ponder:
Check out the Label 101 site I sent you earlier so you can read the labels of the foods you're considering and have confidence you understand them.

Petfooddirect.com has the ingredients list to almost every canned pet food available. Make a list of all the foods you want to review, then go to their site and look up their ingredients, keeping in mind the Label 101 info. Make notes on your list. Keep going until you've found as many "acceptable" foods as you wish to feed.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow...I am liking the sounds of feeding wet food more and more! Maybe it won't be as costly as I think it would be. I could always rotate feeding very high quality, to just high quality, to something like Authority, etc....whatever I can pick up on sale. Right?? I wouldn't go as low as "grocery store" brands, though...just because I don't think those can be that great of foods. It probably wouldn't hurt if I fed a fish flavor every now and then, correct?

I'm going to return the TOTW tomorrow (got pictures, emailed the company, and kept a sample bag)...and then I will pick up more cans of cat food from the grain store. I will have $30 from returning the TOTW, so I should be able to pick up some big cans for a good price.

I just hope the grain store will take the bag back. Doesn't Diamond have to refund the store...or does the store "eat it"?
The store will take it back, and Diamond should refund them. So, the store will give you the credit...
Authority is actually pretty decent food... If Bugsy was not allergic to Chicken it would be on my list...

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
AC....sounds like a good plan! I like the idea of making a list, so I don't go to the store totally confused and clueless (happens a lot, actually..haha!).

Carolinalima...thank you! Good to know, so I don't expect them to take it back and then NOT take it back when I ask for a refund.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

AC....sounds like a good plan! I like the idea of making a list, so I don't go to the store totally confused and clueless (happens a lot, actually..haha!).

Carolinalima...thank you! Good to know, so I don't expect them to take it back and then NOT take it back when I ask for a refund.
Exactly - they need to know though, to make sure the batch is not a defective batch... Also the store where you bought will probably choose to remove the same batch from the shelves, just in case, until they hear back the test results.... Make sure to tell the Co. the batch #, expiration date, the store where you bought, etc.
When I had a similar problem, I contacted the Company (in your case, Diamond), explaining the problem, and letting them know I was going to return it to the store. The store then shipped it back to the factory for testing.

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I emailed Diamond...but I think I will call them tomorrow, as well.

Thanks, guys...you have been a really big help to me

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a reply from Diamond about TOTW...

If you provide the Product code from the back of the bag and the best
before date, I can track and log your information. If you think it is
an issue with the latest bag, we do offer a satisfaction guarantee
refund, if you are not happy with our product. If you get a different
lot number product and are still having issues with weight in your cats,
I would recommend consulting with your veterinarian.

We have a QC program of 151 checks- which are tests, 141 on ingredients
and 10 on the finished product. These are performed prior to shipment.

We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Janet L. Rettenmaier, DVM, MS
Director of Veterinary Services
Diamond Pet Foods
Meta, MO 65058
ph. 573-229-4203

I am going to send them the product code and expiration date....but I am also returning the bag to the grain store (I forgot it at home when I went to work this morning).

I did, however, go to the feed store today to pick up some dog food for my rat food mixture. While I was there I was looking around at their wet foods and their dry foods for cats. I almost picked up a bag of Solid Gold because I just feared my kitties weren't going to "get enough" through just wet alone. I stopped myself (spent 45 minutes looking at dry foods and pondering the thought)...and left with only wet food seal-able lids and my bag of dog food for the rats.

I saw that Wellness 13 oz cans are $2.19 each. They also had 13oz cans in the following....Canadea (sp?), Innova (not EVO), some Azuri Holistic (err something like that) was $1.40. I am just shocked at how much dog food they have compared to cat food. I can also do special orders with the food store....so I might see if they can special order me in something..hopefully it will be good quality and cheaper.

I guess if my cats are going to be eating 100% wet....then I should have them on high quality because I would have them on high quality dry anyway (even though it is cheaper!). I just don't really know that doing a half high quality/half "okay" quality is going to cut it. I want my cats to be healthy and be on a good diet that can hopefully not give them health issues as they age.

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to return my bag at the feed store today and was totally shocked at how the lady reacted to me...in front of a bunch of customers. She basically called me a liar for saying my cats got diarrhea and lost weight from this food. Blamed me for not "slowly switching over 2 weeks" after I told her that infact DID slowly switch them onto a 6lbs bag and after they finished that then I purchased this 15lbs bag and 2 weeks later they started losing weight and getting diarrhea.

She also was snappy saying "Well, we sell a lot of this food and no one else has had any issues."...that was after I told her I have read online of other people having issues...she was so rude that I snatched my bag from her and stormed off to the car to cry (nasty people easily upset me).

I am thinking about not shopping there again, which is a shame because they have a good selection of pet foods at okay prices and do not sell live animals (besides poultry at spring time).

So...obviously she refused to refund me for the TOTW. She didn't even bother to call Diamond to even check if there was any possible issues going on with TOTW. I have re-emailed Diamond asking for a refund ASAP....so I am waiting on a reply. If I don't get a reply by noon tomorrow, then I will call the company on my lunch break at work.

On the other hand...my cats poopy butt has went away since stopping TOTW on Sunday morning
. We have nice poos in the potty box now!! They have been on 100% wet since then and seem more happy. There also isn't as much poo in the litter box, so I guess that is a good thing?

I still have the urge to buy a dry food....but I just don't know...that is more expense. I was thinking maybe Authority's sensitive dry, if I did...just so the cats can snack on a measured amount during the day (I am gone from 8am to 5pm every day). I don't know if I could afford a higher quality dry while feeding 5.5-6 oz of wet per day (half high quality & half "okay")....I figured wet alone is going to cost about $45 per month for 2 kitties to eat.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God!!! I am shocked!!!!

This lady did a huge disservice to the brand, in addition to clearly being a liability to the store.
Please, do not just take your bag away -you need to call the manager tomorrow and report the incident, I hope you got her name.
In addition, please PLEASE report this incident to Diamond Foods.
I would let the manager know that you are going to file a report with Diamond.
Be very calm, but firm - this lady (or rather B-word) is completely out of line!