Sylvester's left eye has a "smudge" on his pupil and seems to be changing color

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the bloodwork results back and they are all negative THANK GOD, and his eye is clearing up, but they want us to do the drops for 2 more weeks :bawling2: :eek2: But he needs them so we will do it, and when it is over he will trust us again, just in time for his haircut so that'll throw it all out of whack again!!! :clapcat:

I am very relieved, I didn't think he had anything really wrong but until you hear the test results I was VERY "uptight and outta sight"!!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I talked to the vet's assistant on the phone yesterday and explained how his eye looked and questioned if he truly needs 2 more weeks of this and she said she asked the vet and she said that when his eye looks normal again I should call them and they will instruct me what to do,. Last night we could see that the brown smudge which they said was a blood clot is gone, his eye color is turning back to gold but I still can see a bit of a shiny "glow" in certain light, it is still there but is fading too, so we will monitor it and see what happens. But it is very much improved, thank God!! And it doesn't seem to bother him at all, very strange....

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We're still giving him the drops but now he really doesn't want them, he goes upstairs and downstairs and back and forth many times, we stay calm but we have a hard time catching him now, we hope this will be over soon but I think it'll be a little while yet, ugh....

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I talked to the vet today about his condition, and I asked if 3 weeks (tomorrow will be 2 weeks) was a normal time frame for giving eye drops for Uveitis and she said "at the minimum" and said some are on longer, some for months, some longer, depending on the situation. She said they will take a closer look at him when he goes in on the 20th for his grooming, they will look closely at his eye while he is sedated, determine if they think they need to take any x-rays, said it was good that all of his blood tests were negative but they would like to try to determine what exactly caused this to happen, but did say "many times the cause is never known". I told her it is not fun trying to track him down morning and night to administer the drops, said we can only get two in a day rather than the three they had said to do and she said "that's better than none" and that if his eye is looking better it is working, and also said when he is in for his grooming/checkup they can administer a long acting steroid shot under his eye so we wouldn't have to do the drop thing, so that might be an option for us. I HATE that he starts to trust me again but then gets leery when we have to give the drops, but he needs them, but this is very unpleasant but necessary. She also asked if we thought we could give him oral medications and the answer to that is a resounding "no", he would tear with is left of my arms off!!

She said the steroid is helping with the inflammation and pain, but I told her he never seemed like it bothered him, never is rubbing at it or squinting, which is good I guess.

But I felt better talking to her about it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is possible to compound some medications into palatable forms. Places like Wedgewood Pharmacy do this and are very good with customer service, if that helps at all. There are ways to disguise oral meds.

Pilling my cat

I definitely understand your feelings as some cats simply don't want to have to take anything and they never decide that it is going to be okay. Since your vet agreed to two a day, at least try to keep this up. It sounds as if she is on top of things and eventually this will run its course.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible to compound some medications into palatable forms. Places like Wedgewood Pharmacy do this and are very good with customer service, if that helps at all. There are ways to disguise oral meds.

Pilling my cat

I definitely understand your feelings as some cats simply don't want to have to take anything and they never decide that it is going to be okay. Since your vet agreed to two a day, at least try to keep this up. It sounds as if she is on top of things and eventually this will run its course.
This might work! She said we could try to give him oral steroids instead of the drops, so this might work. But she thinks the drops are more efective since they go right into the eye, but I am calling and asking them right now, thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sure that your vet knows what she is talking about with effectiveness, but you are between a rock and a hard place with this. Ask her how much more ineffective orals would be, something enough to be concerned about?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure that your vet knows what she is talking about with effectiveness, but you are between a rock and a hard place with this. Ask her how much more ineffective orals would be, something enough to be concerned about?
I just left a message and did say that, plus we'd have to make sure that HE got it not one of the other 8 lol, but Sylvester would LOVE that to happen!!!:clapcat: :banana1:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
And he loves those "Squeeze up Delectables" so maybe I could hide it in that and get it past the little dickens!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Mine love those squeeze ups and they are great pill conveyers. And, yes, you may find other cats are more than happy for a tasty Pill Pocket.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet said we could do that if we wanted to, also there is something that we could put on his ear to release the steroids? But none are as effective as the drops which go right into the eye, so we are going to stick with that, and he oddly seems to be adapting to it somewhat, he doesn't put up as much of a tussle, and today he is especially affectionate and coming around us a lot more. He came into the room here and I was scratching his neck and petting him, picked him up and hugged and kissed him and he seemed to be hugging me back, wrapped his front legs around my arms which made me VERY happy as this has been killing me having him be leery of me and not hanging with me like he used to, but maybe he is feeling better and understands it somewhat now?!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning he went right to his "spot" that he lays down and kind of "gives up" so Deb can put the drop in, almost like he realized that it's going to happen anyway so why bother running upsatirs and downstairs over and over again!

Myabe he is getting used to it, MAYBE....

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is entirely possible that he has figured out that this is not painful or dire. His expectations that it would be are now calmed down and he might even connect the meds with feeling better. This is great news.

I assume that the vet was suggesting a transdermal type gel, could be wrong, and those can be somewhat less effective in some cases.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
It is entirely possible that he has figured out that this is not painful or dire. His expectations that it would be are now calmed down and he might even connect the meds with feeling better. This is great news.

I assume that the vet was suggesting a transdermal type gel, could be wrong, and those can be somewhat less effective in some cases.
And I think trying to get him to put that stuff on his ear would be even more difficult than giving him an eye drop!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It can be. Cats are funny about where they don't want to be touched or what spooks them. I have not ever used the transdermal ear gels although their use is completely valid. If you ever do, remember to use gloves as the gel can be absorbed into your skin.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so so happy to report that Sylvester had his haircut today and also they checked his eye and said it looks "amazing" and we can stop giving him the drops!!!!:clapcat: :banana1: :dance:He was so good at the end, going to his "spot" and letting Deb put the drop in but this is even better news!!! Thank God!!!!

THANK YOU for the help, advice and support!!!!