Sylvester's left eye has a "smudge" on his pupil and seems to be changing color

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed that my Sylvester has developed a "smudge" spot is the best way to describe it on the lower part of his left eyeball, and his normally gold eye seems to be turning more of a cloudy light brown/yellow, almost like when our eyes get bloodshot but not red, more light brown/yellow. I put in a call to the vet, and looked online to see if we could match it with anything, and the one thing that it MAY be is iris melanosis, but we're not quite sure. He isn't after it nor in any pain, but I want to help him if needed. He is due for his checkup and grooming on 4/20, but I'll see if the vet suggests to bring him in earlier or if she thinks it can wait.

Thanks for any replies....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I also want to add that when he looks at me in certain light his eye seems to be glowing or reflective, almost like a light shining through it?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have a pic you can post? We aren't vet who can diagnose, but it would still be helpful. You are doing the right thing to take him to the vet though. If it were to be iris melanosis, which is benign, you still want it treated.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I took him in to the vet today 3:00, I had the time and didn't want to fool around with it. She said it is Uveitis, looks like a blood clot on his pupil so she did some bloodwork and already told me that there were no significant problems with the "regular" panel but it will take several days for the Uveitis panel to come back, gave me a prescription for steroid eye drops which I got and we already got one in, and gave him an antibiotic shot since we most likely can't pill him. She said most times this clears up on it's own, can be caused by many things, the worst case scenario is that it is some sign of cancer but said "we won't go there unless we need to" so that is where we are at. I feel better that I got him in and checked, and she said that she sees this quite often. She also wants me to take him to a cat opthamologist but they booked us for July 16th, they are that busy, so hopefully this is long gone by then!

So I give him the drops and we wait for the results and see what happens. He is pretty calm being home again, I think that he might understand that we were only trying to help him!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been wondering about something that sounds similar. A friend called me. She is too far for me to go there but she alerted me to a cat with a similar sounding problem. The cat has gold eyes but one eye is becoming tinted with other coloring. Thank you for posting the info. I will pass it on. I hope Sylvester has quick results with the medicine and that ends the whole issue. Please do keep us updated.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been wondering about something that sounds similar. A friend called me. She is too far for me to go there but she alerted me to a cat with a similar sounding problem. The cat has gold eyes but one eye is becoming tinted with other coloring. Thank you for posting the info. I will pass it on. I hope Sylvester has quick results with the medicine and that ends the whole issue. Please do keep us updated.
Thanks. His eye seems a little better already, and he ran upstairs with me like he did yesterday where I grabbed him to take him so he wasn't bothered by being "at the scene of the crime" again lol!

I hope your friend's cat is okay too, it probably would be best if she gets it checked or at least calls a vet to talk about it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
It’s good to know that Sylvester is not bothered by having been grabbed to get that eye checked. The friend I spoke of is older and was wondering about her cat so I did advise a vet check. She plans to but she sent me a photo, difficult to get a real idea of what she sees in his eye since she tells me the photo is not a good representation. We’ll just have to wait to learn more from the vet. If you can ever get a photo of Sylvester's eye it might help others who come on the site looking for information though. I do know it isn’t the easiest thing to get a kitty to “pose” for pictures though! Lol
Keep getting better Sylvester! :heartshape:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
It’s good to know that Sylvester is not bothered by having been grabbed to get that eye checked. The friend I spoke of is older and was wondering about her cat so I did advise a vet check. She plans to but she sent me a photo, difficult to get a real idea of what she sees in his eye since she tells me the photo is not a good representation. We’ll just have to wait to learn more from the vet. If you can ever get a photo of Sylvester's eye it might help others who come on the site looking for information though. I do know it isn’t the easiest thing to get a kitty to “pose” for pictures though! Lol
Keep getting better Sylvester! :heartshape:
It's really clearing up now so a picture wouldn't do much good at this point, but it just looked like a little off brown smudge spot on the bottom of his pupil, and his gold eye was more brownish yellow, but it is clearing up thank God!

The hardest part is me picking him up 3 times a day to have Deb put the drop in, he tolerates it somewhat but it scares him and then he is afraid of me when I come near him other times, but it has to be done! I just make sure that I quietly talk to him and pet him without picking him up throughout the day, that seems to throw him off a bit lol!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
The good news is that the Uveitis in Sylvester's left eye is clearing up, he had an antibiotic shot and we are supposed to put drops in his eye 3 times a day, but he REALLY is on to us when we are coming to pick him up to do it, moves away and at times wants to hide and I don't want that!! He needs his drops, I don't want him to be scared of me every time that I go near him, but I really don't know what to do? I asked the vet what if we couldn't get him for 3 drops a day, what if we can only get 2 and she basically said then that's what we do, but any tips on this would be greatly appreictaed as we have to give them to him daily for awhile yet!! :eek2: :help: :gaah:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe wake him up from his sleep by talking to him and then apply the eye drops? How long does he need his drops for? It might be worth keeping him on a light sedative, contained in a room and getting his eye drops for a couple of weeks. (Block off underneath the bed or leave the mattress and remove the frame so he can’t go under there.)

I would buy and give him his favorite fishy flavored treat tube or those fancy feast tuna or salmon treats that are small chunks of fish. Whatever his Jack pot treat is, give it to him after the eye drops every time.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe wake him up from his sleep by talking to him and then apply the eye drops? How long does he need his drops for? It might be worth keeping him on a light sedative, contained in a room and getting his eye drops for a couple of weeks. (Block off underneath the bed or leave the mattress and remove the frame so he can’t go under there.)

I would buy and give him his favorite fishy flavored treat tube or those fancy feast tuna or salmon treats that are small chunks of fish. Whatever his Jack pot treat is, give it to him after the eye drops every time.
He needs them for awhile yet. And I said to Deb tonight that he loves those squeeze up treats, I forget which brand makes them but he loves them and I thought the same thing, I'll try to find them tomorrow!

I played string toys with him and the others a few minutes ago, just to try to normalize things, he was a bit leery but I was talking to him and tried to mentally "visualize" to him why we are doing this. We worked with an animal communicator a few years back and she said visulization is very helpful so I tried that, don't know if he got it but I tried it lol!

And as I am typing this he came into the room to use the litter box and actually came over to me and smelled my hand, a wee bit jumpy yet but he did it, and then he walked past me and let me pet his back which is good, but tomorrow morning it starts all over again, any trust gained will quickly be lost I fear!!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bribery works wonders and destresses them because they know it is over. I used to have to give my cat a pill sometimes. Everytime I finish brushing or bathing or clipping their nails or applying the hated flea medicine it ends with “all done” and lots of treats. Because eye drops are such a big deal I was thinking a bigger bribe. Try telling your cat done and stay calm while doing it (get someone to hold your cat) if you need to, to make it easier (it was how I gave my cat his IV ..... and he forgave me.)

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Bribery works wonders and destresses them because they know it is over. I used to have to give my cat a pill sometimes. Everytime I finish brushing or bathing or clipping their nails or applying the hated flea medicine it ends with “all done” and lots of treats. Because eye drops are such a big deal I was thinking a bigger bribe. Try telling your cat done and stay calm while doing it (get someone to hold your cat) if you need to, to make it easier (it was how I gave my cat his IV ..... and he forgave me.)
This morning was HORRIBLE, we had to chase him all over the house to get him. He came to me in the morning but I didn't want to pick him up because Deb wasn't ready with the drops yet, there were many cats in the way between us, I have to pick him up and have her quickly administer them so that wouldn't have worked, but he picked up on what was up and shyed away. I tried to tempt him back with those "Squeeze ups" we did have some, but he was on to it, and we were pressed for time so it was chasing him upstairs and downstairs many times just like when we have to take him to the vet and it is exaspirating, we all get upset and it doesn't work. I really don't want to drug him, plus how would we know that he is the one getting the drug when the others eat the same time? I really don't want to cage him in the big dog cage that we had him and all of the others stay in for a few days when they first came in, I think that would put him into a depression, but I don't know what to do. I just contacted Cindy Wenger, the animal communicator that we worked with in the past, asking if she thinks it would help if she had a "session" with him, that's where I'm at, but we have to do something. The way our house is laid out it's wide open, only one room that we could close him off into but it wouldn't work because that is where all of their litter boxes are, so we are at a loss, but we know it CAN'T go on like this!!!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would contain him in one room (blocking under the bed) & the brine is for afterwards. Cats aster smarter then we often give credit for.

Next time both of you enter the room at the same time. If necessary kitty burrito him in a towel but Idoubt it.Chasing them will stress them out. Containing him in one room might cause him to give up sooner. & let you get on with it, (Sometimes you have to play psychological warfare with your cat.)

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I would contain him in one room (blocking under the bed) & the brine is for afterwards. Cats aster smarter then we often give credit for.

Next time both of you enter the room at the same time. If necessary kitty burrito him in a towel but Idoubt it.Chasing them will stress them out. Containing him in one room might cause him to give up sooner. & let you get on with it, (Sometimes you have to play psychological warfare with your cat.)
Our house is a Cape Cod and it is wide open, the only rooms that we can close a door on are the bathroom which is really small and the spare room but that room has all of the littler boxes in, but the problem is to get him to GO into those rooms, he usually just hangs out in the open areas. The bedroom is upstairs and has too many places for him to hide, and again getting him into that room would be the issue.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmm food times and keeping in a harness almost 24/7? Then clip the leash onto him during dinner time and stay near him his hour or two, then pick him up, wrap him in a towel and the other person applied the drops, followed by mega treat and removing the leash. (The delay in the leash is to hopefully not have him associate leash with eye drops.)

I would honestly go the light sedative route and talk to your vet about it. That or board your cat at the vets so they get their eye drops but that is $$$!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or 4 hours later after the leash gets attached do the eye drops if he is extra skittish.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We'd still have to get close to him to clip the leash on which is what I have to do to try to pick him up so he'll just run away then too.

I just ordered more Jackson Galaxy Stress Stopper, we had some here but not much and it does seem to work. Also ordered some calming treats but the thing is will he eat them?

This morning was a disaster, Deb got cut pretty badly. It's either he lets us do it or we'll have to put him in the big dog cage and stay in there for awhile but that'll put him into a depression, but this isn't working.....

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
A woman from the vet called me this morning and we talked about this, she said since Deb can seem to put the drop in after some struggle while he is on the floor perhaps I should stop trying to catch him and pick him up, maybe just have her track him down and do it on the floor like she was able to do this morning and the other day. He gets wigged out when I try to grab him, then he hides, but we blocked off some of his hiding spaces so this might help.

She also said if we can only do 2 drops instead of 3 don't stress over it, that would be fine, so that is a big help so we don't have to try around supper and then also before bedtime, that was so stressful too. His eye is looking much better thank God!

She said caging him would stress him out and I think depress him so that is out.

The WORST part of this whole deal is that he is leery of me and won't come near me and cowers if I approach him and I HATE that. I know that he will forgive me and when this is over we will be fine, but right now this breaks my heart that we are like this. But they said depending on the results of the Uveitis bllod work that is supposed to come back in a few days we might be able to knock off the drops soon so we'll see.

I HATE THIS!!!!!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
His eye is looking much better thank God, he is still leery of us but we blocked off some of his hiding spaces so it makes it somewhat easier for us. Still waiting on the results of the Uveitis blood work, hopefully that is soon, but we only put it in twice a day and it seems to be really clearing up, really looking forward to this being over!!! :clapcat:Sylvester is too lol!!!!

THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT!!!!