Switching To Raw

pooch&dosscara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We recently found out that one of our dogs (Bransen, almost 3 year old n/male Pit Bull mix) has a heart irregularity. It is unknown to us right now exactly what the condition is but our vet suspects it is a valve issue and may be an early sign of Heart Disease.

This has given us that extra "push" to take the plunge into raw feeding that we've wanted to take for some time now. We are in the process of getting a deep freeze and filling it with meat for the pets but I need to do more research about feeding cats raw. As you may have guessed, I'm a dog person.

We are trying to avoid red meat entirely (two of the dogs have digestive issues and one a heart problem) so we would be feeding mainly Chicken, Turkey and (if we can get it) Rabbit. From what I've researched (about dogs) the simplest way to achieve a balanced raw diet is to feed whole prey. To me, this only makes sense. The carcasses we feed will probably be skinned with heads and feet removed, for the most part.

The dogs will likely be fed each 1/2 of a carcass (weighing 1-1.5lbs) per day, as well as raw scraps for treats. The cats on the other hand I am not so sure about. Would feeding each cat 1/8 of a carcass (weighing about 0.5 lb) each day be a good idea?

For the cats' treats, I will be farming live crickets. To add variety for them (down the road when I'm more experienced/comfortable feeding raw) I was thinking of adding things such as small fish and maybe the occasional frozen mouse (from a breeder/pet shop) would be good.

To me, the idea of feeding whole (self-portioned) carcasses seems to make more sense than other raw feeding methods in terms of both nutrition and convenience. I am just looking for any input, advice, etc from people who are more knowledgeable/experienced in feeding cats raw.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!

I think if you are going to go with whole prey, you probably should feed them unskinned and with the head and feet still attached. But the other raw feeders here will know more about this.

I do know however that when on a raw diet, cats only need a few oz of meat, 1/2 a pound would be way too much.

I know crickets are a big hit with cats and I'm sure fish would be too.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my F3 Savannah one whole feeder mouse (fur and all) a day. He is also given high quality dry food as well. My Savannah has never had an issue with ingesting the fur and so on.

My two indoor/outdoor DSH do a lot of hunting and eating of wild game. They eat mice, rats, and birds. I have noticed they eat all of the mice and rats, minus the head and fur. While on the birds they eat everything, but the feathers. Please note these cats are also fed commercial wet and dry food as well.

I hope that was somewhat helpful

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just rotate pieces, for instance I feed chicken, turkey, duck, rabbit and whole mice, so some days she gets chicken drumsticks, next chicken meal would be a thigh or wing, if she's getting turkey she can't eat the bones as easily so I feed gizzards, meat only or smash up the bones for bone in meals, rabbit she eats all parts of, maybe leg one day, heads another, organs/ribs another, etc I feed 4-6 ounces of raw a day, she's about 10 pounds. You can feed fur/feathers on if your cats will eat it, mine only touches mice but my ferrets eat a variety of whole prey like quail, rats, guinea pigs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pooch&dosscara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info and advice everyone!
Would whole feeder goldfish be a good meal for a day?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pooch&Dosscara

Thanks for the info and advice everyone!
Would whole feeder goldfish be a good meal for a day?
If you gave enough of them it possibly could be a whole days meal. I give Loki the Savannah, two or three a week as a "snack" or more appropriately called a few hours environmental enrichment. Since he seems to play with them more then he eats them.

Also in my humble opinion feeder minnows are a better choice. They are more active/stimulating for the cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pooch&dosscara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read more about the goldfish and they don't sound too good for them.
I was going to use Guppies as snacks as I breed them but then I was thinking back to when Pooch once got a hold of a new batch I had waiting to be transported and she killed them, but didn't eat them.

Crickets might be the best idea.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Pooch&Dosscara! Welcome to TCS!

Feeding whole prey is a great idea, but the prey items have to be fed in their entirety. If the animal is small enough for a single meal, great; if it's larger - but still small enough for the cat to handle the bones (such as a large guinea pig), then you can divide the animal in half or thirds and feed the parts in separate meals. If, however, the bones of the animal are too large (turkey, for instance), then you must feed parts and balance the diet out over a week's time instead of per meal.

That's called frankenprey feeding, and is becoming increasingly popular. It is easy to do, but calls for a strict schedule and a solid understanding of the "80-10-50-5" guideline.

Fish, in general, are not a good idea to feed in any large amounts due to potential toxins and other issues (including the "promotion" of urinary tract issues).

You might find the TCS thread, "Natural Diet Information Resources" helpful. Or you could pop over to CatCentric.org for more detailed info on the different ways to feed raw.

Best regards!

AC

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Boy howdy you guys, this sounds like a lot of work. Prep time and hunting down subjects to be eaten. I know my old girl would love it and she rules the household. Just... what about vitamuns for their coats and stuff. Buy liquid and put it in their water or something?

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MeuzettesMom

Boy howdy you guys, this sounds like a lot of work. Prep time and hunting down subjects to be eaten. I know my old girl would love it and she rules the household. Just... what about vitamuns for their coats and stuff. Buy liquid and put it in their water or something?
If you are feeding whole prey or frankenprey, you don't need to add any supplements.