Surgery on Tuesday (Feb. 5th)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
'Morning all.

Vicoden is good stuff, but man can I tell when the next dose is due!

Sarah, I didn't answer your question yesterday... I did pretty well on the anesthesia. I woke up pretty coherent, knew where I was and why and all that. Slept real good yesterday when the anesthesia was still in my system, but not so good last night. Couldn't get comfortable.

I got a lovely bouquet of daisys today from my work. Thought that was really nice of them.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heidi,

Glad to read all went well and that you are doing well

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's great to hear that the surgery went so well Heidi
. Before you know it, the surgery pain will be a thing of the past and then, fingers crossed, you will be pain free!!!!

Sending you loads of good vibes in the meantime that your surgery pain does not bother you too much and allows you to get a good night's sleep

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, that was sweet of your co-workers! I hope you won't need that vicodin soon.
Or maybe - I hope that you get to a place real soon when the vicodin would be just for fun.

Laurie

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on a successful surgery!

Hopefully you won't be able to tell when the next vicodin dose is due soon!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that the surgury went well, and you are mostly pain free.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for keeping me in your thoughts.

I'm getting "better" but not great. I've been sleeping 12 hours at night and then takr another 3-4 hour nap in the afternoon. And it still hurts...BAD. Is the Vicoden supposed to take away all the pain, or just dull it? I've never been on pain pills so I don't really know...
I did have a bit of a setback last night when Mojo jumped down from her cubby above the bed, and landed on my arm.
So today hasn't been real good, but still better than before.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely the insides. I can tell exactly where the piece of bone was removed.
Most times it's mainly in that area that hurts, but as I found out today, if I wait too long to take the next dose it radiates through my whole lower arm. The skin where the stitches are just feels like I have barbed wire loosely wrapped there, and it only hurts when the skin is pulled. Change of position fixes that.
I have been feeling "tingles" around the incision, which I know is a good thing.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, they "broke" your bone, so it'll take a while for that to heal up. Look at how your arm is on the outside where the incision is, and imagine that it looks much worse on the inside! I daresay they would have disturbed the muscles/tendons as well so it will also take a while for that to heal.

My chest still aches, and my muscles are still quite sore, and it's been 5 weeks. Unfortunately it just takes time.

I found the Percocet doesn't really take away the pain, it just sends me into a drug-induced haze, which I hate, so don't take them anymore.

I've found the high dosage Ibuprofen has been much more effective. I only took 600mg this morning and missed my lunchtime dosage, whereas I've been taking 600-800mg morning, lunch and night. As a result my shoulder and chest are HURTING. I've just taken my evening dosage, but I know that I just can't miss a dosage or it hurts too much.

Are you allowed to take Ibuprofen? Do you have a weekend number you can call? If so, call them and let them know that the Vicoden isn't taking away the pain, and if there's anything else that will help. Maybe ask if you can try high dosage Ibroprofen to see if it helps? I know I can take Ibuprofen and Percocet at the same time.

It's good that you're sleeping though - it's what your body needs!

And Mojo - stay off your mummy's arm!!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, she said that since it's bone, stay off the NSAIDS - only Tylenol. Which I haven't actually tried. It didn't work at all before the surgery, but maybe now it will? :crossed:

The Vicoden helps quite a bit, and I'm not at all dazed on it (why do people do this for fun? I just get sleepy!). It just doesn't take it all away...which is probably good so I don't accidentally put too much pressure on it by laying the wrong way.

BTW typing with only one hand really sucks!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Unfortunately, she said that since it's bone, stay off the NSAIDS - only Tylenol. Which I haven't actually tried. It didn't work at all before the surgery, but maybe now it will? :crossed:

The Vicoden helps quite a bit, and I'm not at all dazed on it (why do people do this for fun? I just get sleepy!). It just doesn't take it all away...which is probably good so I don't accidentally put too much pressure on it by laying the wrong way.

BTW typing with only one hand really sucks!
That's weird given that they damaged my bone as well. Everything around it gets swollen though, which is often what causes pain.

I'm the opposite of you
And I find when I've taken the Percocet, I can't sleep, I just lie there for ages in a daze, sleepy from the sleeping tablets but unable to sleep. I also wonder why people take them for fun!!!!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vicoden doesn't do a thing for me but upset my tummy. Percocet at least helps take the edge off.

It must be taking you forever to type even one post, Heidi! Keep up the good work of getting well!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just remembering my hip resurfacing. I remember distinctly that it was a bit more painful than I expected, and was trying to figure out who to ask. But at exactly 10 days, the character of the pain changed dramatically. So I think that must've been the swelling going down because I felt a lot better after that.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was on Vicoden, I got into a fist fight with an imaginary person & put my fist through the wall.
It did nothing for the pain for me, either.

I'd find out if there's something else you can be taking.