Summer is over

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have forcast snow by the end of the week here, trees have nearly finished turning and you can feel the chill in the air it went from being roasting hot in Saturday to raining nd food on Sunday

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Words cannot describe the jealousy I have for all you notherners. (Yes, I am one of the strange few that prefer cold weather to hot!) Friday was the first day here since about February that it wasn't god-awful hot. I kid you not, yesterday was the first time I could reasonably wear jeans this school year and not die of heat stroke while hoofing it around campus.

It's amazing how much different the weather is down here than in the Panhandle. It gets to really be winter there -- well, Florida winter, anyway, with temps in the 30s or 40s for at least two weeks solid -- while down here if we get into the 40s at night everyone practically calls a snow day. It's pathetic, I saw people walking around in winter boots and sweatshirts this morning just because it got into the 60s overnight.

You know your perspective on weather is skewed when you think, "85F today? Man, that isn't so hot after all."

And the idea of not having central A/C, just window units, is absolutely mind-boggling to someone born and raised in Florida. LOL

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I came off my cruise last week hoping for some cooler weather but it was so warm back home!. It's cooling down nicely now though

The poor plants and trees don't know what's going on

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can handle the cold, I'm used to standing out on the football field in 40 degrees, but at this point it the never ending rain that is driving me absolutely out of my gourd.

I suffer from SADD, and normally the fall is still a good season for me, enough daylight, and sun and the crisp air makes me feel alive. But the doom and gloom is killing me. I just want to sleeeeeeep.

Snow? I'm just saying no to snow.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around here you can tell the tourists from the locals.

When the weather gets down to the high 70s for a high, the locals are in long pants, sleeves and jackets (though few of us wear anything but flip-flops).

The tourists and snow birds will be in shorts and shirt sleeves or sitting poolside all winter.

November 8th last year, back of a boat on Lake Mojave, 88 degrees

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

.. and harvested almost 2 dozen green peppers! There are still more that should be ready by the end of the week! I was thrilled considering our 2 green pepper plants really didn't do anything all summer. It seems like as soon as one started either the bugs got to it or it just stopped developing and rotted on the plant.
We've had the worst year ever for green peppers. The few we've gotten have been small and shriveled; usually we have tons of big ones.

Our pears, on the other hand, are monsters. Everybody at school has been teasing me about bringing in "GM pears" because you can make a meal of one. It's a good year for apples, too. DH picked 515 kilograms of them this week (1,135 lbs.). He sold them to a juice company, since we've already got more than enough stored to get us through the winter, and the trees are still pretty full.