Suggestions Needed For Senior Cat

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Friends, although I have had many senior cats over the years, I just adopted Tiger from the shelter I volunteer at; she is 16.5 years old and I am looking for some suggestions. I adopted her Sunday after she still had no inquiries at our Clear the Shelters event - no one really wants the seniors. After her being there for 5 months, I could not let her stay longer. Took her to the vet last night and overall a clean bill of health.

1) Ideas wanted to help with her appetite - those I currently have and have had in the past had the opposite problem - I had to keep their weight down. She is skin and bones. She will eat some dry food, not crazy about wet and will take maybe a bite or two if coaxed. Not worried about the fluid intake from wet food as she drinks voraciously (he already looked at all the blood work results from the shelter and her kidneys are fine, no thyroid problem, etc). He says at this point to just let her eat whatever she wants. I am fine with that but I don't think that dry food has all that she really needs. She had a recent dental so that is not an issue. What has worked for any of you?

2) She has some arthritis that the shelter did not pick up on since she was in a cage - she can climb stairs but slowly, and we have a couple of areas set up for her on each floor with food, water, blankets, and litter box. She cannot jump so I plan on getting some steps so she can get on the couch or bed if she wants. He has me giving her Omega 3 - any other suggestions?

I have 5 others (don't judge, I know I'm crazy!!!) that were all the unwanted and languished too long at the shelter. They do not bother her, they are more curious than anything. (They are 14, 13, 6, 5 and 5). They are each unique, the two older have some health problems but under control. The younger 3 were more behavioral issues. (Actually the 13 year old has health and behavior issues, but that is for another day and another thread!)

I appreciate any feedback - I hope to give this sweetheart a couple more good years.

Last edited:

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry press the upload by mistake. Repost.

Last edited:

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bravo! You have a heart of gold. I am a young kitten parent and can't give you much feedback. But wanted to give you my 100% moral support. I always have deep emotionap feeling for cats. Give them love and cherish them, esp the seniors, all we can. I do believe they know and appreciate us, with their purrings and touches by their paws or fur body.. :)... just to add, which I gather from an online youtube video about caring for seniors. Always keep them clean by wiping them as they may not be able to groom themselves well. They do love that after the cleanup, nice and comfortable feeling....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! So happy that you have a kitten to love - they all need to be part of a family. Enjoy!

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Seniors lose their sense of smell over time. The stinkier the food, the better. My oldest cat went through a serious illness that absolutely ruined her on wet food. She does love tuna from the can, so I focused on finding all of the fishiest foods that I could. Right now, she really enjoys Fancy Feast gourmet foods. She devoured the tuna and greens can last night and she just became interested in the shrimp and wild rice that I put down for her. Also, focus on a high quality food. I THINK Royal Canin makes a food for seniors. I know they certainly have a canned food for seniors, but they probably have a kibble as well. Good luck!