Suggestions for Clumping Cat Litter that is pretty close to 100 % Dust Free

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it exist ??

Right now we are using Tidy Cat , pretty happy with it for the most part but it is pretty dusty ..

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I doubt such a thing exists, esp. as quality in litter products seems to go downhill with every purchase. And for some reason, when litter is on sale, it seems to contain more dust.

I buy large 22kg boxes from TSC and then transfer the contents into more manageable smaller pails. I do this outside, and pour the litter from as high as possible into the smaller containers. The dust just flies away in a huge dust cloud. If a box of litter seems dustier than usual, I'll do it twice. If it's a windy day, even better.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's is the name I have heard people use that have asthma/allergies.  I have never seen or used myself, but I read an article somewhere on it.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been using Clump and Seal and there is definitely less dust when using it compared to some other brands.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, Dr. Elsey's does have virtually no dust. But, it is a VERY heavy litter. I used it for a while and the clumping and weight of the litter just didn't work for me.

I have since switched to Cat's Pride Fresh & Light Fragrence-Free. Still VERY minimal dust, good clumping and much lighter in weight (and it doesn't track too bad.)

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Dr. Elsey's and really like it. I find it's dustiest when I open and use a new bag, but when it's been scooped a couple of times (in the box), then it becomes less dusty. I don't think a completely dust free litter exists, sadly. I've tried a few different litters.

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I just tried SmartCat All Natural Clumping Litter and liked it. 

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Fresh n Light and like it. The Tidy Cat light stuck to my cat with a static charge, tracked everywhere too. I liked it otherwise..

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too use   Dr. Elsey's litter. Out of all the litters I've tried (a lot) it's for sure the lowest in dust.

You might want to check out some of the corn or walnut based litters too as they can be lower in dust.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I too use   Dr. Elsey's litter. Out of all the litters I've tried (a lot) it's for sure the lowest in dust.

You might want to check out some of the corn or walnut based litters too as they can be lower in dust.
I use the walnut by Blue Buffalo, I do not see too much dust, but I have dark hardwood floors.  I move their boxes and clean with a microfiber cloth and there is a small amount of brown dust.  I also can see it the dust on the cats paws right after they are done in the box.  It does not bother me and I clean my floor and litter mats every couple of days.  It seems to stay only in the room the box is in.  I guess it would depend on what type of floors you have and how easy to clean it would be for you.  I have allergies that are mild, but I do not have asthma.  The amount of dust to me is not nearly what the clay scoopable litters are.

I really like the smell, odor coverage and the fact it is biodegradable, but if you are looking for dust free it is not. I also go through a lot less litter since I switched to walnut. I have been using it for about two years.

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey has one that is specifically low in dust, called Respiratory Relief, made for felines with asthma. It's in green packaging and has high reviews of it being low in dust particles. If your cats develop/have respiratory issues, there's a good chance it's the litter that could be the issue.

Another vote for Dr. Elsey's precious ultra in the blue bag. It's heavy, but low in dust and unscented that's acceptable to most cats. It's on sale at Chewy and Amazon right now, for less than $15 for 40 lbs, which is usually a lot cheaper than most commercial brands out there. I know someone complained it's heavy, but I actually prefer heavy clay, the lighter stuff would tend to track further, in my opinion. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Dr. Elsey has one that is specifically low in dust, called Respiratory Relief, made for felines with asthma. It's in green packaging and has high reviews of it being low in dust particles. If your cats develop/have respiratory issues, there's a good chance it's the litter that could be the issue.

Another vote for Dr. Elsey's precious ultra in the blue bag. It's heavy, but low in dust and unscented that's acceptable to most cats. It's on sale at Chewy and Amazon right now, for less than $15 for 40 lbs, which is usually a lot cheaper than most commercial brands out there. I know someone complained it's heavy, but I actually prefer heavy clay, the lighter stuff would tend to track further, in my opinion. 
Thank you , I will check it out. ..  I found Paws & Claws cat litter at Tractor Supply . It is fairly low dust . I will see how it works .

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you , I will check it out. ..  I found Paws & Claws cat litter at Tractor Supply . It is fairly low dust . I will see how it works .
Oh, I didn't know they had decent scoopable clay litter at Tractor Supply! Good to know. I live in the city, and the closest one is 40+ miles one way, and I'm not even sure it's still in business. It is very affordable, though, looking at their prices online. I'm glad you've found something inexpensive. I used to use wood pellets before, but one of my cats had issues so I had to give in to scoopable clay. I also used to buy petco's brand of unscented clay litter, where you can refill your bucket. It was fine, but still dustier than Dr. Elsey's Precious Ultra, too.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, I didn't know they had decent scoopable clay litter at Tractor Supply! Good to know. I live in the city, and the closest one is 40+ miles one way, and I'm not even sure it's still in business. It is very affordable, though, looking at their prices online. I'm glad you've found something inexpensive. I used to use wood pellets before, but one of my cats had issues so I had to give in to scoopable clay. I also used to buy petco's brand of unscented clay litter, where you can refill your bucket. It was fine, but still dustier than Dr. Elsey's Precious Ultra, too.
Thank you , yeah I love Tractor Supply . We shop their a lot . I just never thought to try their cat litter .. 

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still looking for cat litter .  I tried the Paws & Claws from Tractor Supply . Did not care for it .  Although it clumps well and is unscented  , it is pretty dusty ..

I am going to try the Precious Cat Ultra . Supposedly it is sold at Petco  and Petsmart . I would rather not buy it online ..

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pet Smart brand is called Esquisicat (sp).  I used to use the light weight one.  I was very fine cedar shavings.  It tracked bad, but I liked the smell.  Then I bought it and the manufacturer changed it to a clay litter that just smelled like ceder.  It was dusty and horrible.  Then I used the Tidy Cat Naturals that is also cedar shavings, but that tracked all over the house.  That is when I changed to the Blue Buffalo Walnut and have never went back.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched recently to Dr. Elsey and really like it.  It doesn't seem very dusty to me, and it clumps really good.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote for Dr. Elsey's, too. It works great for the people and the cats in our house! Great for cats because our cat who'd been coughing a little (we wondered about asthma or allergy) stopped when we switched from Fresh Step to Respiratory Relief. Great for people because now our mudroom isn't coated with heavy, scented dust.