Sudden feces elimination on dining room floor, HELP!

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First I want to commend you for not giving up on this and just getting rid of the cat and trying to root out the issue instead of dumping her. I could never do that myself but there are so many who would, I dealt with a cat that would attack you so badly with her claws it required medical attention and stitches on more than 1 occasion and this went on for years trying various ways that didn't involve amputating her toes. We finally had to have her declawed. I see no point in doing it period, if you can't teach your cat where to and where not to scratch and your furniture is just so precious you don't even want the chance of it getting scratched you don't need to have a cat(or any animal, all can cause scratches on furniture, floors, etc) but in this case this was last chance, declaw or euthanasia, vet told me that, and I don't just give up or won't put down a healthy animal. So I do know what you are going through in a way with an issue that just can't seem to be solved and keep happening long term. Especially when everything you are trying should work and doesn't. You get to the point of ripping your hair out.

She is young and something is wrong if she knows she isn't supposed to go there and is ashamed by it. Could she be having occasional issues getting to her box in time? That sounds like it might be a part of the issue if she did it 2 feet from her box, but if she had to climb through the box to get there then maybe no.

It sounds like you need a second opinion to see if they can figure it out, or you might be better off just keeping her out of the dining room if possible or putting the box right on top of where she is going(I think you said you tried that though.)

Type up a synopses of what has been happening, even printing this thread(if allowed, I know some boards are weird about that) and taking it in or going through the post and writing down what has happened and that should help the vet in figuring it out.

I wish you good luck on this and I hope you find the solution soon.

Taryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words. The last two days she has used the litter box and no accidents. One thing I noticed this morning is that she spent about 4-5 minutes in the litter box before she was done. Her poop is always smallish ball shaped (at times alittle longer). Maybe she is a bit constipated?

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update.......I suspected this for awhile now, but I caught her urinating outside of the box today. So it started out with poop and now it is poop and pee in the dining room. The dining room rug is getting trashed and on a warm day in the house, the odors are really bad. We have been lighting candles to mask the odors. None of these cleaners have worked!
We are at our wits end now and have no idea what try next especially because she will still use the litter boxes at times. This is very frustrating and even sad.
We took her to the vet a couple of weeks ago and had a check up. He said she is in great health, but obviously her head is messed up.
What is left to try?

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you write a list of everything you have tried? From litters to cleaners to plug ins....the whole nine yards so we can get a look at what you have tried.

I read your post in February about the poops being like a ball and yes this can be a sign of constipation. Have you tried treating her with anything for this constipation? I can give you some suggestions if you need some. She may be very uncomfortable and may not like the feel of the litter on her bum. My cat was constipated and would poop outside of the litterbox as well.

I think I recommended this in the past but I would join this group Feline Inappropriate Elimination http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/F...e_Elimination/ and ask for some suggestions. They all have MUCH experience with peeing and pooping outside the litterbox (and much experience with the JUSTRITE cleaner I recommended http://www.justrite.com/)

Has the vet done recent Urine tests? Have you taken a stool sample to the vet to check? If the vet has not recommended any of this then I would find another ver. My vet was treating my cat for anal glands for 2 years until I finally went to get a second opinion. Best thing I ever did for my cat. Nothing was wrong with her anal glands. It was that she was severly constipated. And b/c of the other vets wrong diagnosis my cat has Feline Megacolon now. Sometimes second opinions are needed.....

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have changed litter once and are going to try another. We have added a second litter box. We tried the Feliway to no avail. We tried blocking her out of the room which worked for two days until she pooped on the floor next to the gate to that room.
The vet says she seems in good health and the only thing she has is a minor reoccurring watery goopie eyes. Then she gets anti-biotic eye drops for about a week.
My wife caught her peeing on the floor yesterday and she became sheepish and embarrassed then went and hid. So she knows that going outside the box is wrong, but does it anyway.
I joined the Yahoo group so hopefully I can get more ideas to try.

Thanks