Sudden feces elimination on dining room floor, HELP!

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
http://www.petco.com/product/15081/E...andOdorControl

This cleaner pretty much sucks in my opinion despite decent reviews on the internet.
I am sorry but in all my research of cat cleaners I have never heard of this cleaner. Doesn't sound like the proper cleaner? It has no enzymes in it which is required so cat will not return. I have suggested a few good cleaners and also I know that on many different threads on this cat forum other people have suggested some very easy cleaners that you could make at home. Also, on the links I gave you for the Cat Attract website the Dr. gives a cleaning solution to use as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOW!!! Funny you guys mentioned the diffusers!! My wife picked one up today at the local pet store based on a recommendation from a fairly knowledgable employee there. She also picked up this cleaner http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...:referralID=NA

Do you think we should discontinue the Buspar while using the diffuser?

thanks!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely do not discontinue the Buspar except by your regular vets advice. Is Buspar one of the anxiety meds that has to be slowly reduced over time?

Feliway is a great product, but is best for mild problems - it worked to help settle down my overanxious kitty in her early days, but didn't work when one of my girls was COMPLETELY stressed by one of my other cats. So if you're already using Buspar, Feliway should be used in conjunction with it, not instead of it - but talk to your vet

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WOW!!! Funny you guys mentioned the diffusers!! My wife picked one up today at the local pet store based on a recommendation from a fairly knowledgable employee there. She also picked up this cleaner http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...:referralID=NA
Once again I do not think this cleaner will do the trick. I never heard of it and most cleaners off the shelves in my opinion do not work. I have tried them all and they just mask the smell. I find I was wasting more money on these cleaners then anything else. Sometimes it's more worth it to fork out the money up front for a cleaner that is known to work (like the ones I suggested). Because then you will be using less of it. Because at theis point it sounds like you are also forking out a bunch of money on products that aren't working as well.

What type of diffuser was it? Was it the Feliway diffuser? I know there are some store brand type diffusers but I have never heard of them working. It MUST be one with Feliway included. Like the link I posted.

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, the diffuser is NOT a Feliway, so it is going back to the pet store! Besides, Angel pooped again on the rug about 2 feet away from the diffuser!! Since she has been on the Buspar she is going about every other day on the floor now. I think the meds have made this worse, or it is just coincidence.
Also, we are going to take back the cleaner. Denali, the links you posed on the cleaners you recommened, are the ID only?
We are gonna order one of them.

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we returned those items. I have a bottle of "Nokout" coming Monday and I bought the Feliway Diffuser. I hope the "Nokout" gets the odors completely out
Stay tuned

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could call the company and ask them how to clean the spot appropriately with their cleaner!!

Also, have you purchased the "Cat Attract"?

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denali

You could call the company and ask them how to clean the spot appropriately with their cleaner!!

Also, have you purchased the "Cat Attract"?
Cat Attract is on my radar as well. BTW, we have temporarily blocked off the dining room at the moment in hopes to completely clean that area of the rug before opening it up again. The area has a definate odor to it now and I am sure it is/has been attracting her to it. Maybe now that has been the problem for a while.
I have to call the company anyway because the solution came frozen via Fed Ex and I want to make sure it will still be okay once it thaws out.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, bless you and your family in all your efforts. I've had luck with a couple of products, and the best ones were;
  • Cat Attract litter - best stuff ever for my boy!
    A product called Zero Odor - it's not really to remove the stain, but it seems to work wonders on odor. You can get it at Bed Bath & Beyond, which has a good return policy, or on the internet - but as a liquid the shipping can be a killer.
Best of luck, and again, thank you for your patience in working to resolve this issue - I know how disheartening it can be.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use Nok Out and swear by it. When it arrives, the use is simple. SATURATE the affected area of the carpet with it. Since the problem is poop, not pee, if it's an area rug, put some type of plastic down inbetween the floor and the rug.

Let it soak for about 15 minutes - then blot it up. Leave it to air dry.

And just because this has been going on for so long, I would treat it a second time.

When we have an area that needs Nok Out used, we usually just lay aluminum foil down over it rather than restricting kitty from the area, but that's your call.

Given that the Buspar hasn't helped her stop this behavior, I'd talk to the vet about weaning her off of it.

I would definitely invest in the Cat Attract litter.

I also like the idea of putting the litter box there after the area has dried. When moving it to a new location, do it about 6" a day, not all at once. Just slowly "walk" it to where you want it permanently.

...and if she still has a problem with the dry stools, have you done anything to increase her water intake? Often a water fountain will help, if you don't have one. You can also buy canned pumpkin (no spices!) and mix a little bit into wet food for her daily. We also add a little bit of warm water (to help boost the water intake).

You can also talk to the vet about lactulose. This helps regulated the water and the healthy flora in the colon.

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies!
Angel drinks plenty of water and see gets about a tablespoon a day of moist Trader Joes Cat Tuna. We leave dry food out all the time, she gets "Chicken Soup For The Cat Lovers Soul".
Do the pets stores carry cat attract litter?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my area, you can get Cat Attract litter at Petsmart or PetSupplies Plus. There's also an additive you can purchase to add to your current litter. That might work better if you end up having to order over the internet.

BTW, the Cat Attract has a pamphlet in each bag that details cleaning and how to use the litter, etc., as well as coupons (e.g., $1 off your next purchase). You might check the Dr. Elsey web site - there used to be a print out coupon for a free bag.

I honestly love this litter - I think it clumps well, i don't think it's dusty, and I myself like the odor. And, honestly, my boy took to it right away. When we had a few accidents after using this litter, it was always linked to a medical problem.

And, for me, multiple boxes helped a lot - my girl isn't bad at all, but my boy is rather picky about having separate boxes for pee and poo.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, there's blog entries in there now with tips on the litter line, and elimination issues. I hadn't seen this the last time I was there.

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I applied the Nokout solution to the carpet today. The first application I blotted up after about 15 minutes. The second application, I just left and am using a fan to expedite the drying process.
I am afraid that even though it seems better, there will still be a presence of the odors. Maybe once it dries better it will be better?
Any tips?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BritishLongHair

Well I applied the Nokout solution to the carpet today. The first application I blotted up after about 15 minutes. The second application, I just left and am using a fan to expedite the drying process.
I am afraid that even though it seems better, there will still be a presence of the odors. Maybe once it dries better it will be better?
Any tips?
This is an enzyme product - it can take up to two weeks to dry and completely eat through the bacteria... In essence, the enzymes are literally eating the bacteria while it is drying... Be patient... Cover the area if at all possible (so kitty doesn't go back too poop in there) and DO NOT EXPEDITE THE PROCESS. Let it air dry normally, you need to allow the enzymes to eat that bacteria - that is how an enzyme product works, it needs that time.

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok...we have temporarily blocked off the room from Angel and have used the Nokout odor eliminator. It is definately better, but still not total gone.
I have Sears Carpet Cleaning coming tomorrow and they will be cleaning the entire room. They will be using a pet deodorizer containing an enzymatic solution. They told me after it is cleaned to give it 2-4 days to dry and give it a chance to work. After that we will re-open the room to Angel. I also plan on buying Cat Attract litter additive and possibly a product called "Ssscat". Ssscat is a product that is supposed act like a spray water bottle when the cat gets near it. Water bottles always worked pretty well with Angel.
Since closing off the room, Angel has had ZERO litter box problems. I firmly believe that once we get the scent completely out of that rug we hopefully should be good.

britishlonghair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well Sears came out and never could clean the rug, long story.....Anyway, we gave in and decided to move Angel's litter box into the dining room and she went off the Buspar. Everything went great until today! A couple of days ago she began acting differently again; more vocal, following us around a bit more than usual, sitting and staring at us etc. Then today, she poop's on the floor again about 2 feet away from her litter box

Since then she has been embarrassed and knows what she did was wrong.
She does not appear sick or anything like that. She has been going poop once a day like usual since moving the box into the dining room.
We are now again at a loss......I guess we go to another vet and get a second opinion? For the last two days she has been obviously trying to tell us something, but what?

Frustrated

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, that's not what I wanted to hear...the only thing I can think of is to type up a synopsis of everything that's happened, with dates/places/any little piece of data you can think of, and try another vet.

She's definitely trying to tell you something, and she's probably not at all happy to be going out of the box, but what?