Stubborn cat

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marla's nose has been dry since yesterday and she's being stubborn and has not had any water to drink yet, but I keep checking her gums and they and her eyes are wet any advice? I do wet her nose when it is too dry. Ps:. I put a little catnip in her water. One thing I forgot to mention is when I gently pinched her area between her shoulder blades it went down instantly.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can gently syringe water into her with either a needle-less syringe or a medicine dropper for a small child. I keep BOTH in my cat's medicine box.
I was able to use a hard straw and got some water in her mouth, I'll call my vet clinic and ask them for advice too. Btw Marla is 5 years old.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This afternoon I gave her some soft food mixed in with water and she ate a fair amount of food, then later tonight I poured some bottled water and sprinkled some catnip and she STILL has not drank from her bowl. Her eyes are very sparkly she can clean herself with no problems and I did the pinch test and it's still normal also I think she just used the litter box. REALLY don't want to sleep worried about tomorrow, I would have taken her to the vet clinic sooner but our funds for disability were abruptly stopped because they sent the paperwork to the wrong address. And of course not seeing her drink water except for when I fed her is stressing me out.
I'm worried I may have to surrender her to the ASPCA but if must it will destroy me emotionally. Thanks for letting me vent.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe eating canned gives her enough water? One of my cats knows when she's had enough to eat. My 2 others dont

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe eating canned gives her enough water? One of my cats knows when she's had enough to eat. My 2 others dont
Maybe, but it still feels odd for me to not leave her some fresh water. Before this I fed her sensitive dry cat food and soft food on top. The hard food is Blue Buffalo but I haven't fed her any dry food since.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my cat Maggie would be interested if I filled her water with ice cubes. I want to try that but keep forgetting

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marla peed yesterday and the day before but she hasn't peed today and unfortunately I don't have any money to see if she fine. Should I try to make her pee at home. Please message me ASAP!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Marla peed yesterday and the day before but she hasn't peed today and unfortunately I don't have any money to see if she fine. Should I try to make her pee at home. Please message me ASAP!
Hi, just want to know is she having trouble peeing all the time or only it's just today that she has not peed? If only today, I think you don't have to worry so much as yet.

How old is Maria? If she's an adult cat and does not drink much, it's normal that she don't pee in a day as adult cats can hold their pee for a longer time and also if she does not drink enough water, she'll pee less.

As cats have a low thirst drive, they drink less water and some cats will drink more and they drink from water fountains or bowls. If Maria is on wet food, maybe add one or two tablespoon of filtered water to her wet food to help her get more hydrated. If she's on dry food, try to get her to drink more water.

As long as Maria does not visit the litterbox many times in a few minutes and crying while trying to pee and only open marble size pee, then this is a concern and you have to bring her to the vet ASAP. She could be having UTI.

Other than that, I won't worry so much but just keep an observation on her and get her to drink more if she's not getting enough water each day.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Furbabycatmom Furbabycatmom I think you're worrying about this too much. If Marla passes the pinch test and her eyes and mouth are bright she probably isn't dehydrated. Cats are desert animals. They can survive on a relatively small amount of water and they don't always pee every day.

As long as Marla doesn't seem to be in pain, isn't going to the litter box and straining but failing to pee and isn't passing very dark urine she's fine.

You can encourage her to drink more with the tips in this article.

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

But please don't worry too much if she isn't showing any signs of distress.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, just want to know is she having trouble peeing all the time or only it's just today that she has not peed? If only today, I think you don't have to worry so much as yet.

How old is Maria? If she's an adult cat and does not drink much, it's normal that she don't pee in a day as adult cats can hold their pee for a longer time and also if she does not drink enough water, she'll pee less.

As cats have a low thirst drive, they drink less water and some cats will drink more and they drink from water fountains or bowls. If Maria is on wet food, maybe add one or two tablespoon of filtered water to her wet food to help her get more hydrated. If she's on dry food, try to get her to drink more water.

As long as Maria does not visit the litterbox many times in a few minutes and crying while trying to pee and only open marble size pee, then this is a concern and you have to bring her to the vet ASAP. She could be having UTI.

Other than that, I won't worry so much but just keep an observation on her and get her to drink more if she's not getting enough water each day.
I think she maybe 4 or 5 years old.Is it normal for older cats to not drink much water? I put a icecube in her water dish and she still hasn't drunk any water yet. But other than that she seems to be fine.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furbabycatmom Furbabycatmom I think you're worrying about this too much. If Marla passes the pinch test and her eyes and mouth are bright she probably isn't dehydrated. Cats are desert animals. They can survive on a relatively small amount of water and they don't always pee every day.

As long as Marla doesn't seem to be in pain, isn't going to the litter box and straining but failing to pee and isn't passing very dark urine she's fine.

You can encourage her to drink more with the tips in this article.

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

But please don't worry too much if she isn't showing any signs of distress.
Ok I'll try not to worry too much, my dad said the same thing. But she'll only drink water when I mix it with her wet food.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think she maybe 4 or 5 years old.Is it normal for older cats to not drink much water? I put a icecube in her water dish and she still hasn't drunk any water yet. But other than that she seems to be fine.
As it was mentioned, cats has a low thirst drive and so it's normal that cats don't drink much water.

If you are feeding wet food, which is good as wet food keeps the cat hydrated. Some wet food are more juicier than others and some are not. It's good that you are adding water to her wet food and she's drinking from there together with her food.

My boy does not drink water from the bowl I leave out for him. He's on wet food and I add about 2 tablespoon of filtered water to his wet food each time he eats and he drinks from his dish with the food as the water is flavored as it mixes with the food. Other than that, he does not drink water from anywhere else. And he pees once a day and at most twice a day. He likes to hold his urine.

So your cat is on wet food with added water and it looks like Maria is well hydrated. So don't worry that much.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks. She's eating right now, I'll just wait until she goes to use the litter box.
Ps: her nose is wet.