stray pregnant kitten

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Surgery is the long-term solution; however, cases that are not severe can get by with artificial tears. It's not clear yet if these kittens have a severe case. It is not life-threatening in and of itself, but can cause damage to their eyesight if their eyes are not kept clear of dust and fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After two treatments with the eye ointment their eyes look a lot better. No more oozing puss, andthey are more open. I can see a difference in one kittens eyes from the others. She may actually be affected by this. They are so much more active even after two rounds of the amoxicillan. I had them out in fresh air and sunshine and they are getting around good. Obviously I love these little sweeties, I could have relinquished them to animal control, but I knew they'd have a better chance with me. I will pray that the diagnosis was made too quick, before the infection cleared up. Whoever adopts a kitten if it has the abnormality will have to promise to treat the eyes daily if that's what is needed

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you! You are being reasonable about this. I am delighted to hear how much better the kittens are doing! And so pleased that you did not relinquish them to animal control. Only time will tell. Keep the faith! It is quite clear you are devoted to your charges. :)

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear they look better, I did have to look this up to see exactly what it was as I hadn't heard of it, essentially what it is, is the cat is born without the upper eyelid. They do look different than other cats. I did google it and found it and a few cats with it, one cat was fixed up but it was nearly over 8k. I do hope that this won't be the case and that they'll do well. Please keep us posted on how they do. You're a good person to stick with them and their mother. Is their mother still with them? I don't want her to end up getting pregnant again as this is a genetic issue. Yes, you are right about them having a much better chance with you than at a shelter.

Last edited:

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The kittens eyes look so much better.  They are completely open.  I can tell that one female does have the problem.  Her eyes look different.  I am taking them out of the crate several times a day for fresh air and sunshine.  when I take them out, the momma tries to carry them back to the crate.  it is so sweet.  she is such a good momma.  I am going to have her spayed asap as soon as the babies are eating mush.  I will allow her to stay in my yard and take care of her, , but as I mentioned before, I can not bring her in my house.  I am going to be particular of who gets one of the kittens with the eye problem, to make sure they will treat their eyes as needed through their lifetime.  I have become so fond of these little cuties.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They could not possibly be any cuter! Cuteness overload!

The eyes need terramycin sooner rather than later or there is a possibility of it suddenly getting much worse and can be a bigger issue then.

It won't be a lifetime of treatments, only a few days while kittens.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that is the medicine/ointment that the vet gave me for their eyes.  I apply it 2x a day.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes I have been treating them with that.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens eyes look so much better.  They are completely open.  I can tell that one female does have the problem.  Her eyes look different.  I am taking them out of the crate several times a day for fresh air and sunshine.  when I take them out, the momma tries to carry them back to the crate.  it is so sweet.  she is such a good momma.  I am going to have her spayed asap as soon as the babies are eating mush.  I will allow her to stay in my yard and take care of her, , but as I mentioned before, I can not bring her in my house.  I am going to be particular of who gets one of the kittens with the eye problem, to make sure they will treat their eyes as needed through their lifetime.  I have become so fond of these little cuties.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I took them to the vet Monday, she prescribed that ointment.  she said 3 of the  kittens have eyelid agenesis.  I googled it and it said that it may need to be treated for the lifetime of the cat.  I hope that is not the case.  So far only one of the kittens eyes look affected by this abnormality.  You can tell that her eyes look different.  They are just the sweetest little bundles of love.  I wish I could keep them, but I already have 4 and they are territorial.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I missed that she was seen and diagnosed.

I can see her eyes are different.

She may outgrow this depending on how severe it is, let's hope so!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi Kat, they are all so precious! That little girl is so cute though! That little face almost resembles a koala bear. I'm so glad to hear that they are doing well, and that you have plans to spay mama and she can stay in your yard, and that you'll make sure the little one with the eye issue gets just the right owner.

You'll find yourself growing more attached each week. I'm not sure I'm parting with any of my 4 little ones (almost 8 weeks)! And mama was spayed a week ago as she had gone into heat. Still nursing & playing hard with her kittens though! I have the luxury as I recently had to send my old kitty over the rainbow bridge, and she was the last of a big crew I'd enjoyed over the last couple of decades.

Thanks for the pictures & the update! :)

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look so cute. Yes, you can tell that she's a special need kitty. Hopefully she can be kept well with the ointment or drops. Thank you for caring for them.

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My babies are doing really good. I get them put of the ctate seversl times a day for fresh air and sunshine. Momma stays close by. she is a good momma. The kittens are getting around good too. They will be 4 wks. Weds. so I will start to introduce kitten mush to them and the litter box. Im thinking momma may have gotten pregnant during her little rendevous when the kittens were only a few days old. Can I get her spayed now? I may end up keeping the little female with the bad eyes. She is going to need lots of attention. Also, how do I get my cats who are very territorial to accept a new kitten? They hiss at me even when they smell the scent of the babies or momma on me. I dont want to risk anyone getting hurt. Thanks for your help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad to hear they are doing well! It would be awesome if you kept the little one with the bad eyes. Then you would always know her future is secure.

They will need lots of playtime as they begin to become more independent, but still very long naps too, so the crate will still work. Just make sure no one gets lost while out playing as they get bigger!

There are good articles on this site about introducing a new cat to existing pets. It's a bit of a slow process, but it works. Try to read up. It may be easier with a kitten, though I've had cats hiss at a new kitten for months, only to find them sleeping and playing together eventually. All your pets may never fully accept the little one, but doesn't mean they can't learn to live together. Just like children don't always like their new baby brother or sister, but eventually accept sharing the attention.

I hope the mush and litter box go well. Shouldn't be too difficult. Mine had it down really well around 5 weeks but I started at 4. A lot of it is their natural instinct.

Mama may be pregnant, but you should be able to have her spayed now anyway before she gets very far along. Just warn the vet. That's why I suggested the sooner the better. But she will continue to nurse her babies. Just had my mama cat spayed 10 days ago when babies were around 6 weeks because she went into heat and was miserable (and NOT wanting to nurse and making me crazy with her screaming) and she was back to nursing within a day.

You're doing a great job! Let us know how it goes! :)

Last edited:

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am certain that momma is pregnant and I would guess it happened the night she took off with the other stray in the area.  That was when the babies were less than a week old and they are now 4 wks old.  Is she too far along to have her spayed?  The kittens have not started eating the mush yet.  My several attempts at it only resulted in wet feet.  I will keep trying.  I am concerned that the momma will not be able to be spayed if she is 4 wks along and I can't handle another litter.  Help

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 4 weeks a spay is certainly possible - talk to your vet. Some cats will even keep on nursing afterwards.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, please call and ask your vet about spaying asap! The babies will begin to eat mush soon though. They may need another week, but they reach a point where they need more than just mom's milk.

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard it can be done but I don't know if you'd be wanting it to be done. Cat gestation is only about 64 days, so roughly two months, give or take a week or two. So they're nearly halfway done. I always let mine have their kittens if they end up at my house pregnant. I then have them spayed. All my current cats are fixed. I usually end up with pregnant strays. Please let us know how she does and the kittens now do too.