Stray Mama And Kittens

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looking for a little advice!

To make a long story short, I recently took in a stray cat and her 2 kittens. I've had them inside for about a week now. I am planning to bring them in to the vet after the new year for a check up, and get mama spayed! But in the mean time, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can for them.

I believe they are around 6-7 weeks old. They are eating wet kitten food and are still nursing. Mom is friendly and enjoys being pet and talked to, but one of her kittens is terrified of all things human. She hides anytime I come into the room with them, and hisses if I get too close. The other kitten is friendly and playful.

Anything I can do to better socialize the little shy one? Should I be supplementing their diet with anything other than wet kitten food? Mom is also eating a dry food, and the kittens do share some of that with her. I am planning to try and find homes for at least the two kittens when they are fully weaned, so if there are any pointers in finding good, quality homes for them later I'd love to hear that as well!

Thanks in advance!
Kitteh picture
20171231_155734-1.jpg
because cuteness.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just walk and talk softly around the shy kitten. It will learn to be less afraid and to trust you soon.

Sit on the floor and let the kittens explore and smell you. Humans are less scary when on the floor.

Give it time!

Thank you for rescuing this family!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

I have been doing just that, so I will continue to spend that time with them, and hopefully she will come around. Her brother has no problem jumping all over me and batting my hair around, Lol. So I'm hoping that if she sees his comfort level and mom's, she will realize I'm not so bad after all. :)

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys - I think Mama cat may be pregnant as well as nursing these two. Her belly seems to be getting bigger. Which I initially thought was due to increased food, but it is firmer than a food belly. And when I touch her stomach I feel little pops and movements. Is it possible that these pops and movements are just gas? Could I be so lucky?

She needs to be seen by a vet anyway for a general wellness, and I was going to get her spayed at the same appointment when her kittens were a bit older. But maybe it would be wise to take her in sooner and have her checked? Will they need to do an ultra or can they determine if she's gestating by just feeling her out?

Also, if she is pregnant - what do I need to be prepared for this? Nesting box, blankets and towels, kitten milk replacer, kitten food... Anything else?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible that she could be pregnant again... it also could just be gas lol. We had a foster that was a stray with babies and I am guessing that having constant access to food was so new to her that she ate and ate and she gained a LOT of weight and was gassy. I thought she was pregnant and I thought I was feeling babies too. Fingers crossed that that is all it is for you! The vet can do an xray- I think it is cheaper, I am not sure my vet doesn't have an ultrasound machine. Some vets can tell from palpating.

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I have her scheduled for a wellness next week, and mentioned that she may be pregnant so they will palpate or do an xray/ultrasound if need be. It's weird... Because her belly isn't always big. Sometimes it's larger than other times, and sometimes it feels lumpy in certain areas only to go away later (which makes me think those are babies moving around? Idk). *shrugs*

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also a small update on the feral kitten... We have been making some progress. Last night she groomed my hand when I was petting her brother, it was so sweet. Then later the both of them started playing with my feet, until the boy decided that he might just like to take a chunk out of them. She is coming out more, will now eat soft food off my finger and play gently around me if I'm quiet.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds great!, Yes, she sure is coming around. ;) What have you named the little family?

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom is Pickles, and the two kittens are Dill (like dill pickles) and Peanut Butter (my 3 year old's choice lol).

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Which one has the white chin & throat-Dill or Peanut Butter?

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Peanut Butter is the gray and white kitten. She's the shy one. :)

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah - be careful with adorable kitty cats ! This is exactly how I acquired my 'kitty cat farm' . The mama cat comes in the yard for safety and has her litter before I can trap her. You quickly fall in love and in the house they come.
If mama kitty is pregnant she is early and can easily be aborted when spayed. ( the fetus usually die peacefully from anesthesia )
Unless you want more cats or can find a home for any new arrivals , this is always an option. Once they are born it is very emotionally difficult for people like us to surrender these little animals.
Best wishes to you & kitty family
:redcat::hellocomputer:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for taking in Mama and her kittens. Beautiful family photo. :camera:Love their names. :catman: Hope Mama isn't pregnant again. You don't need more kittens, and she probably wants a break from nursing. Fingers crossed the bigger belly is from extra munchies and not more babies. :crossfingers:

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for the replies. I got her in earlier today and vet confirmed by palpating that she is very likely pregnant. I opted not to get the ultrasound and my vet does not do x-rays. She seemed to think that mom could be around 5-6 weeks along? So, I guess we're expecting. I am really hoping it's a very small litter because her belly is so small. Fingers crossed. She will be spayed asap, and both current kittens have an appt to be seen next week for a general wellness.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looks like you'll be planning a kitty baby shower for Mom Pickles. :catman: Seriously, sorry to hear she's probably pregnant again, but at least she and her current kittens are inside and safe. And the newest babies will be born inside, and all kittens will be socialized and able to be adopted out. So even if Pickles can't can't actually thank you, I'm pretty sure she'll always be grateful to you for rescuing her and her family. :catrub:

You'll be able to get answers to any specific "baby birthing" questions in this thread, but if you want to do some general reading, here's some articles on cat pregnancies:
How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant?
Cat Pregnancy
Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth
How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?
Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!
Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats
Post-birth Complications In Cats

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links! I will definitely check them all out. And yes, even though I was hoping she wouldn't be pregnant I knew the odds. And I am glad it will be happening here with me instead of outside adding to the feral cat colony that's ever growing.

I am hopeful that her male kitten Dill will be able to find a wonderful permanent home but I am worried for the little female. She's so shy and even though we're making some progress it's slow. She still hisses at me if I move too quickly, and runs and hides when I come in to feed/clean the box or sit with them. When she's nursing or sleepy, she will let me touch her and even groom me. She will eat off my fingers sometimes too. But, that's as far as we've come so far.

Some pics because cute :happycat:

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So adorable. :catlove: Hopefully you'll be able to socialize the little girl kitten more as time passes. I know the earlier you start with feral kittens, the better chance for success, and I think you may have found them just on the cusp of the better timing age. But adult feral cats can be socialized and end up living happily inside, so I think there's lots of hope for Peanut Butter.

Here's another link, this time on socializing ferals:
Should You Try And Tame A Feral Cat?

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I prepare to seperate the older kittens from mom sometime soon before she has her new litter? I know nursing is draining on her but they are only 8 weeks and do still nurse (rarely) and spend time snuggling with mom.