Stray kitten stuck. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI, you're going to have to repeat parts of that.  As the thread grows longer people will only read the last page or two, not the whole thread.

Many of the people looking for help are inexperienced.  What you said has a lot of merit and you are obviously experienced.

People are fretting because some posters who do not get scales come back with poorly kittens and need more help (we don't mind giving more help).  The basic fact is you can head off trouble by weighing the kittens - some people won't or can't get a scale.   

Anyways, don't take offense when the topic comes up again.

lulululu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, a digital kitchen scale from Walmart is inexpensive and will tell you daily how Nemo's weight is, which can be comforting to know.

Do you have a Pet Smart near you in Atlanta? Mine offers many choices of nipples for kittens in case yours do not arrive soon.

I never experienced much issue with mixing powdered formula alone. A whisk or fork usually did the job. I suppose it is the yogurt and heat causing the lumps. I also only mixed one cup at a time though.

Do you plan to switch Nemo to straight formula today once yours arrives? It may be easier for him to eat larger quantities if so.

He needs 8mLs of formula for every ounce of body weight each 24 hours in order to gain weight consistently. If he gets the proper amount he should make it 2 hours between feedings.

He needs to begin pooping somewhat regularly soon. Have you tried adding a drop or two of olive oil to his bottles?

It's heartwarming to hear that Lulu is doing so much better! You mentioned a chewing issue. Have her teeth been checked lately?

It sounds like Lulu would mother Nemo if she were allowed! I'll bet she can't wait. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
I bought these from Petsmart and they have only one type - a multi pack, in both the Georgia and North Carolina stores I've checked. He's managing, too - it just looks uncomfortable. It appears that one of the nipples in that pack is right for squirrels and maybe ferrets or small long snouted dogs, one is for large puppies and the other three are for small puppies or large kittens. 

I have a number of spice jars ( the size most spices are sold in)and  I am using one to mix his meals in and one for the electrolyte mix, so I figure I ma mixing about a half cup at a time. '

Yes, he will be eased over to the Fox Valley formula as soon as it arrives. With the new nipples.  You're right - he seems to hold less goatsmilk than he can hold formula, but he also wants to eat more often.

That would be about 2.5 tablespoons (his bottle has tablespoon markings). He had about one overnight, so that is probably close to what he's getting. 

When I stimulate him, I can feel him strain if he needs to go and he always succeeds. He has not been making the effort as often since I switched his diet, which I think means he doesn't need to go as often. He last pooped around 5:00 am. I have added a mix of water, molasses and a frew grains of salt to his diet until I'm sure he;s not having problems. 

The vet did check Lulu's teeth and they were good. Lulu, was also a tough case foster. All 4 of the cats we've had for the past several years were ones that would not make the cut for adoption due to medical or emotional issues.  She  came to us with every imaginable parasite, including treatment resistant giardia, and was about 1/2 to  2/3 the size she should have been at her (5 weeks) age. She has always been a little anxious, with a propensity for chewing cardboard or grooming Poupon (oral fixation common to kittens who missed out on nursing).  A couple months ago she suddenly decided she hated Poupon, her constant companion, for reasons unknown ( she says he smells bad) There have been a number of changes - 6 months ago we switched their food, and she may be allergic to the new one. First Rose died and then Babymilk, and in between Poupon was diagnosed with a thyroid condition, And, for the past twoand a half  years we've been working on an old farmhouse near Asheville, which means I;m either gone for the weekend and occasionally the week, or she has to come along She has settled into living in two houses but the three hor drive is pretty unpleasant for them - especially for Poupon. So, she came by her stress honestly. And now you know the story of our life! I think the prednisone has stopped the itch, which suggests an allergy is a factor. But the distraction of a new baby has made her think less about grooming. Lulu is very smart and likely gets bored - having a playmate that is closer to her now almost average size ( compared to the three others) is a good thing. 

Poupon is more relaxed today, He actually came out of hiding and then casually hopped off my bed and strolled under it this morning instead of flyng into a panic when my son came in this morning. That is huge - it's  his old typical behavior ( he doesn;t ike men for some reason), He also  came to me to sniff the baby. this morning.. "Cool. Have fun with that", he said, and then suggested second breakfast. So he has no complaints ( I knew he wouldn't)  but wants to wait until he becomes fun before he gets excited about a new playmate. I think we're all on the mend. Even my husband is all in - for the first time in 30 years and countless animals. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For reference, 2.5 tablespoons = about 37 mLs. Nemo was 5.25 ounces 4 days ago. If he now weighs 6 ounces, he would need 48 mLs of formula per 24-hour period.

lulululu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Just an FYI, you're going to have to repeat parts of that.  As the thread grows longer people will only read the last page or two, not the whole thread.

Many of the people looking for help are inexperienced.  What you said has a lot of merit and you are obviously experienced.

People are fretting because some posters who do not get scales come back with poorly kittens and need more help (we don't mind giving more help).  The basic fact is you can head off trouble by weighing the kittens - some people won't or can't get a scale.   

Anyways, don't take offense when the topic comes up again.
Last things first - I am not at ALL offended and hope I made that clear. We (and this includes parents of humans) all need the wisdom of others - there are no true experts in thisbaby raising  business and no shortage of people who can add experience to whatever we have. 

And yes, I know alll too well, and all too painfully, what some inexperienced people do. Some refuse to listen, refuse to follow instructions, and then refuse to accept responsibility when the animal dies.My personal nightmare was the guy who blamed me after I stayed up all night with him, trying to get him to stop playing with the (squirrel) and get out and get the proper things andwarm, hydrate and feed him. this went on for about 10 hours, and then he finally did half of what I suggested - far too late and with no care to correctness. He then reported me to the senior mods and said I killed the baby because I gave him bad advice. I'm betting that has happened more than once here too. Some people are only capable of meeting their own wants, nd often times all they contact forums for is to get attention and be told they are heros .Trust me, after encountering that type, I welcome advice from anyone who has been there! 

I don't take offense when posts get repeated. However, I probably won't repeat miine - it becomes a distraction from taking care of my little charge - and my family ( it's my dh's birthday and I haven;t seen my daughter in 2 weeks, which is 14 years in great kid lives) feel free to refer people to read the whole thread, because I'll skip repetitive ones. . I'll post photos when I can to show he's thriving too. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessi l

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lululu,

I'm very glad to hear Nemo is doing awesome and I'm glad you are happy with him. I have been wondering about him the last couple of days. Sorry if anyone felt that I left the post but I have been busy since I got back home Sat. And thank you once again for taking him. He is thriving and that's what I wanted for him.

jessi l

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, too precious he is. I'm so glad that fate had a big part in all of this. I knew from just talking to you that you all would be the perfect fit for him. I'm also glad that my mom agreed to let me bring him also since she doesn't really care for cats so a big thank you to my mom for being a part in this too, so thank you mom.

I really didn't worry about him after you all had left because I knew he was in some very awesome hands and was already loved even before you all seen him. I tried with what I knew and like I said, I'm new to this kitten thing so I tried my hardest with him and the night of the trip, he kept waking me up hungry so I fed him as much as he wanted. I was tired and slept like a baby when I finally got home that night. I didn't get home until 9 or 9;30 after dropping my mom and her car off. I still had another 30-45 minute drive to go after that just to get home. I knew your husband would come around, he struck me as that kind who would warm up to him pretty quick. I'm so happy that your daughter is enjoying him too, you all seem so estactic.

And to everyone else, I'm truly sorry for not updating what happened and everyone got confused, today is the first time I have been back on here since last Sat. My bad, I have just been so busy. You all got the jist and you all can also see Nemo is in great hands, loved and being taken care of by an experienced person who knows this stuff and who has the patience and willingness to do what she needs to to get him back on track and where he needs to be. I just wanted to save him and give him the best life a cat can have and he has that, that's all I cared about. And thank you to the ones who did help me I had him. I appreciate y'all.

Jessi L

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Lulululu   How is Nemo the gorgeous little ginger baby doing?  

Hoping Nemo is still purring and enjoying belly rubs, and that his fur is still growing nice and tufty, plus his little body doing plenty of growing underneath it.  

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved reading this thread! Can't wait to see how this baby grows up! Any update on Little Nemo?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to upload a video but got a failure message. here is a still from today. He has started holding his ears up some of the time now, and pricks them up when there is a new sound, so his hearing is kicking in.
You can't upload videos directly.  You have to upload them to either YouTube or Vimeo and then provide a link to the video.  When you click on the little video icon, that's what it asks you for -- the link to the video.

Margret

jessi l

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lulululu,

I sure hope no news is good news. Please update soon?

jessi l

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@LuLululu

I guess something must have happened since you haven't said anything recently. All I can say is R.I.P Nemo. Long live in Kitty Heaven baby.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@LuLululu

I guess something must have happened since you haven't said anything recently. All I can say is R.I.P Nemo. Long live in Kitty Heaven baby.
Have you tried calling? You must have her number from meeting up.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@LuLululu

There are a number of reasons she hasn't responded.  Computer crash for one.  Have you tried to PM her?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@LuLululu

Highly unlikely, I think.  She was a busy lady already, and getting up every couple of hours to feed an infant must be leaving her exhausted.  My feeling is that if Nemo were dead she would have posted, but with Nemo alive she just hasn't had the time or energy to post.  Try calling, and if that doesn't do it be patient.  (I know, patience is hard.  Do it anyway.  That doesn't mean you can't express your fears here, just that you shouldn't try too hard to get Lulululu's attention when she's already overloaded.)

Margret

Last edited:

jessi l

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. I'm just worried since we haven't heard anything in a long while. I just hope everything is ok. I haven't gotten a txt/call from her either. I'm a worry wart and just concerned and assuming the worst as if he did pass, she is probably too heartbroken to post. I know I would be.

My bad y'all. :(

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be worried too! I also had assumed the worst (and hoped for the best of course) but I also would be too heart broken to post if  something like that happened to me.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. I'm just worried since we haven't heard anything in a long while. I just hope everything is ok. I haven't gotten a txt/call from her either. I'm a worry wart and just concerned and assuming the worst as if he did pass, she is probably too heartbroken to post. I know I would be.

My bad y'all. :(
Have you tried to text or call? Or PM?

jessi l

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I pm'd her 3 days ago. No answer. I sure hope Nemo is ok. I will try to txt her in the next couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.