Stray Kitten About To Give Birth!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like mom and kittens are doing well.

Mom seems to have first-time mother insecurity, which is normal. Try to offer her extra cuddles and praise.

Being in the crate may actually make her feel more secure.

Wash the crate down with a water/bleach solution before using.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help Sarthur2!
I really appreciate it!
Hope your schooling goes well and you feel better very soon! :runningcat:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you! I’m good to go now! :)

Let us know how mama kitty does in the crate.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started graduate school on top of work, and had the flu. I’ve missed you all! :)
Wow! Well, I hope you are feeling much better and doing well in school! Good for you!

I think Rbecker may not know how much reliance upon COFFEE will be needed the next several weeks!
:sleep:

Maybe advice needed would be how to weigh the little kittens, how much they should weigh as time progresses, and what to do if momma cat isn't feeding them well...
:dunno:

:hugs: :hugs:

@StefanZ can help too! :hugs:

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been weighing them. They seem to be gaining weight appropriately, so far.
They all have little round bellies and sleep quite a bit. She does take good care of them. :-)
I will keep you updated on her progress.
Fingers crossed the crate works well for us! :crossfingers::wavey:

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You may want to put chicken wire or window screen on the sides of the crate near the floor.
Dog crates have fairly large openings between the wires. Kittens can sometimes get through the holes or they could get stuck in the gaps.
This might not be an immediate problem, but is important as the kittens start moving around.

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you foxden! I will make sure it's safe for them :-)

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so the crate is set up and the camera I use to keep an eye on her while at work, is right in the crate. It is at the top, hopefully out of reach of any kitties. A small litter box towards the back, food, water and a soft cushion for her to lay on are also in there.
She has already gone in and checked it all out and even fed the babies. The fun part will be shutting the door. I'm going to try it tonight to see how it goes. That way if there is a problem, I'll know while I'm home.
I really hope this works as I'm out of any other ideas. :think:
IMG_20181015_191530665.jpg

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
f180ed4737d68361f723088fce820eff.jpg

The view with the camera. I can also zoom in if I need to.
Peace of mind is so valuable.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This should work until the kittens are about 3 weeks old. At that point they will need to begin to explore safely. And mom will need out of the crate when you are home. :)

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night she took a kitten out and put it by the dryer on the cold cement. Thankfully, something woke me up to check on them.
She had to be locked in last night. Then I opened it this morning while I was getting ready and she moved 2 to her freshly scooped litter box. Locked her in again. :-(
Opened it when I got home and loved on her for awhile. Then she brought 2 kittens to me to feed them.
I put a sheet over there crate door to make it more cave like and we fixed the door so she can't get to the dryer anymore. So far so good. Hoping this time works. The door is unlocked but a sheet dropped over still and only partially open. She's feeding them right now.
Once they can maintain their own body heat, I won't be as nervous about them. Well, I will but in a different way. Kitten proofing the basement as I type. Lol!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I just read this whole thread - glad I wasn't playing the waiting game with you all for three weeks! Keep those pics coming, individual ones of the kittens if you can. Have you named them? Do you plan on keeping any?

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol! I can't believe I went through that for 3 weeks!
I have a few pictures from after they were first born.
I'm trying to talk my husband into keeping mom, because I know it will be hard to find her a home. 4 of the kittens are already spoken for. I nicknamed a couple of them, but trying not to get too attached. :-)
The first born has one eye open today! Yay!
I can post the pictures I have of them from the first day. Momma doesn't want them messed with too much.
IMG_20181009_173022143.jpg
IMG_20181009_173101707.jpg
IMG_20181009_173047331.jpg
IMG_20181009_173030809.jpg
IMG_20181009_173010629.jpg
These are in birth order.
The very first born didn't make it and if I post a picture of him, I will probably cry.

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Momma still tries moving them at night. I've had to lock her in a night too. It makes me so sad to do that, but I need to get sleep and I can't when I am worried about her moving them at night.
I set up my Alexa down there near the cage to play classical music but I still wonder if that and after work play is enough.
I practically live in the basement now.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the pictures - what beautiful babies!

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! They are beautiful!
I've since moved them to a spare room upstairs. The under spaces that are bad have been closed off (mainly just under a dresser) so there is no worries about them getting trapped. The first couple of days she moved them under the futon but she did move them back. It's far warmer so I don't get so worried when she does move them.
All of their little eyes are now open! I'll post the pictures I have of that. I tried not to use any flash so they are harder to see.
She's not always happy because our other 2 cats are upstairs too. If they get too close to the door, she will growl. They are upset because she's in there and they can't go in but they are all adjusting. I thought it would make keeping her after a little easier too because they can get used to each other more safely than before.
IMG_20181017_203015115.jpg
IMG_20181019_170808845.jpg

One day, I will get better pictures of them. I'm trying not to be in there all the time so she can take care of them.

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I nicknamed that one snowflake because they'will never be another like him. It still makes me so sad when I think about him.

The rest are doing wonderfully and growing fast! :woohoo: