Stray Kitten About To Give Birth!

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Around the end of August we found a stray kitten roughly 6-7 months old. She was so skinny, so we started feeding her. A couple of weeks later we realized she was pregnant. I already had a vet appointment to see if she was and how far along. We went on a vacation the first week of September and we had someone taking care of our dog and other 2 adult cats. Mistie (the stray) was still living outside. Our dog just loves her and she loves the dog.
Well, after our vacation it was time to go to the vet. They confirmed by x-ray most definitely pregnant with at least 3 kittens! They would not do any shots or deworming until she gives birth. Vet said last Monday, about 1 week-2 weeks before she gives birth. We are now getting into just past 1 week and lots of movement from the kittens but no signs of labor yet.
We have her inside our finished basement away from the other cats. We are going to find homes for the babies and mom if we can and she will be fixed as soon as possible.
I also found out she has tapeworms. I called the vet but they don't want to give her anything until after the kittens are born. We do have a flea collar on her and I've never seen any fleas on her.
I'm trying to figure out how much longer before she has them so we can take care of the works. The waiting is killing me though! She is still eating quite a bit. I have a nesting box all set up for her too.
The kittens are moving like crazy any time she tries to rest. She will barely let me or our dog leave her side.
It's a little crazy! Lol!!

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would check with the vet about the flea collar. Once the kittens are born you will need to remove the collar anyway. Kittens can get tangled in it.

There are topicals that are safe for nursing cats, like Advantage II. Maybe that could work? Mom and kittens will all need to be dewormed.

Thank you for taking her in!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, many flea collars arent healthy, so to speak.

Tape worm may come through the fleas, and is the rule if its in kittens.

But adult cats can get tape worms through their prey. If you havent seen any fleas on her, there is a big chance she got them through her wild food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did have the flea collar on her when she was at the vet and they never said a word about it.
I figured she got the worms through the prey she had caught before she came inside. She did kill 2 baby mice in our house and I didn't even know they were in here at all! Good kitty!!
Another day, still without kittens. She's not even really acting like she is beginning labor.
The kittens do look like they are moving backwards though and her tummy is so hard because they are getting so big in there! She is breathing a little different now and then though, so hopefully it's soon! No milk has comecin either.
I just can't wait to see them! ❤
She is still eating pretty good too.
Still doesn't want me to be out of her site, at least until bedtime. That's gotten a lot better.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the photo, she is lovely and her fur so shiny! I don't think you have told us her name. Will you? Very much looking forward to the great news.

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my! I guess I never did!
Her name is Mistie
Many of the times we saw her outside it was misting rain. Seemed fitting.

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am worried the longer she waits to go into labor, the bigger they will get. I really hope she doesn't have a hard time delivering them. The closest after hours vet is at least 30 minutes away. The kittens I feel when she's laying down seem huge for her tiny frame.
I had a cat about the same age once who was in the same situation. She delivered right next to my bed and never made a sound to wake me. 4 kittens were born and none of them survived because she didn't know to free them. I felt horrible!! I am terrified it will happen again.
The vet did do an X-ray and said there a at least 3 kittens. She also said the skills were well calcified so it would be soon. I'm pacing more than she is about all of this. Lol

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if tonight might be the night, her belly is really hard. I can feel her hip bones by her tail when I couldn't before. Also, the kittens seem to have slowed down on their moving and kicking. She can't seem to get really comfy either.
She isn't licking her tummy and no discharge. Who knows, it may not be tonight. She seems to like to make me wonder.

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, nothing last night. A couple of times she acted pained, then nothing. I waiting for 4+ hours and finally called it a night.
Have all the supplies ready for the big event. Still playing the waiting game.

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does look like a bit of dried blood on her lady parts. I'm not sure though. She won't let me look well enough.
Have 3 different boxes set up in 3 different spots she likes so hopefully she chooses one of them to have them in.
Fingers crossed that tonight is the night!
She's been grooming much more today too. Still eating, just not as much.
Well, nothing last night. A couple of times she acted pained, then nothing. I waiting for 4+ hours and finally called it a night.
Have all the supplies ready for the big event. Still playing the waiting game.

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if I should call the vet or not.
Mistie has had a little bit of dried blood on her lady parts but no signs of labor at all.
The babies are still moving around and sometimes her belly gets really hard. She does have some difference in breathing once in a while but hardly ever. She looks like she's about to burst with the babies, but nothing is happening. The vet said 1 week maybe 2 and we're getting really close to 2 weeks since she said that. I'm really scared because she is so small. When the vet weighed her she was 7lbs with the babies.
I don't want them to get so big she can't deliver them.
How long after seeing a little bit of blood down there do cats usually deliver??
I've been reading online but I just get all the same labor signs over and over.

Attachments

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still very pregnant. :-(
She has been sleeping a lot. I called the vet about the tiny amount of dried blood on her lady parts. The receptionist did even talk to the vet, just said she might be in first stage of labor. I asked if there was anything to watch for and she said "I don't know" and kept telling me about the vet hospital they are affiliated with almost an hour away.
Pretty disappointed with them right now.
Mistie keeps trying to get back outside. We've gated the stairs leading to the door, but she tries jumping it to get out. I feel bad, but I don't want her giving birth outside. I'm scared that I'm causing her to delay labor because of it. She won't let me leave her alone even to go to the bathroom now. But there are no signs at all of labor.
The babies are huge and she's so tiny, I'm scared she won't be able to deliver. If they get much bigger, she probably won't be able to.
There is some fetal movement, but not as much as before. I was really hoping she would deliver this weekend because I have to work tomorrow.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kit! She looks like she's saying, "Can't we be done with this already?!"

Will no one at all be home tomorrow? Your earlier story about the other young cat having issues during her birthing is worrisome.

I don't have experience with cats giving birth, but I wonder... if you know that you won't be able to be home tomorrow to be sure you are around for her "just in case", do people ever drop off a potential at-risk momma cat at the vet's, to give birth there?

Rbecker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No one will be here tomorrow. My sister has been staying with us but she has to work tomorrow as well.
I'm very worried too but one good thing is we have camera with microphone on it in the basement so I can hear her while I'm working. My boss already said if she appears in labor that I can leave work to be with her. She has even offered to help pay for her spay afterwards.
I could never leave her anywhere else to have them. It wouldn't feel right to me after taking care of her.