Stray had her babies and I'm lost

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, when your boys start to get on your nerves, just remember at least you didn't have to do that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, that's revolting.  And yes, I'm quite glad I didn't have to do that.  You're funny!  But I changed diapers for a really long time and I still wipe a butt :)

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, all those times I was reading about mama cats "helping" their kittens go potty...  that's quite a euphemism.  I don't think I want anything else to eat tonight.  Yuck.  I think I wouldn't trade years of diapers and butt-wiping for four weeks of eating/drinking the yuck.  OK, time to change the subject, sorta.... questions:

1) What if Hidey has worms?  I saw something that could have been a dried up worm on her leg, but it could also have been something else.  

2) Does the pee/poop that she "helps" the kittens with... can that get on her fur in odd places?  Because earlier today I noticed a little bit of her back was matted, and this evening her back was smooth again, but behind her ear was matted.  Kittens climb all over her, so if they are going without "help"... is this possible?  Because I pet a lot of that matted stuff.

3) The kittens are getting very vocal.  Which makes Hidey a bit nervous.  I was only able to weigh one tonight - scruffy, who was at 11.25 oz.  A gain of about an ounce.  They seem fine. Round bellies, rolling around, climbing on each other, napping, hissing at me (apparently I smell), etc.  No question here.

4) And I'm back to thinking about smells and waste products as food and I forgot my other question.  Normally I'm not so squeamish, I live on a farm, after all!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hidey can be wormed when she goes in for spaying and shots.

The matted fur is probably from her busy days with the kittens, taking care of things you do not want to think about. When she gets a breather, she gives herself a bath.

Farm, huh? Animals or crops?

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crops this year.  Other years we have had pigs, from feeder to expiration date.  We also do really well with mosquitos and various other bugs.  We have two ponds, and have seen muskrats in one of them.  And there have been very skittish other stray cats that haven't let us near them.  They tend to live in the barn.  I haven't seen any of those in a while, though.  I think our cats keep them away.

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
EYES!  I saw kitten eyes!!!  One of the black striped leg kittens had one eye open.  Is that normal?  One eye opens before the other?  I also have new weights.  All weights are in ounces.  This is as of August 31, evening.

Scruffy: 12.4

Tuxedo: 12.35

Black Striped Leg with one eye open: 11.6

Black Striped Leg #2: 11.1

Black Striped Leg #3: 10.25

White Neck: 10.2

Old weights (3 days ago)

Black stripe leg #1: 9.05

Black stripe leg #2: 8.75

Black stripe leg #3: 10.15  (aka: biggest black one)

Tuxedo: 10.30

Scruffy: 10.10

White Neck: 8.45

Gain over three days:

Scruffy: 2.3

Tuxedo: 2.05

BSL#1: 1.45

BSL#2: 2.05 (probably)

BSL#3: 1.5 (probably)

White Neck: 1.75

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are doing great on the weights!

Yes, kittens can open their eyes one at a time, half an eye at a time, both at a time, etc. they usually don't just pop all the way open at once. And ears will start to open next too! It's all a cute, wondrous little process :).

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
And two pictures from this morning.  You can see she isn't too happy with us.  

Then she went to eat and left a tangle of kittens.  The striped one on the right is the sorta bully one.  
Those are such cute jelly-bean babies!!! I bet they sound squeaky when they meow!! So cute I wanna kiss them all [emoji]9829[/emoji]️[emoji]9829[/emoji]️[emoji]9829[/emoji]️[emoji]9829[/emoji]️

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
not the closet - it's full of stuff.  Like many homes, our guest room doubles as a "dump it all in here" room.  
And for the joy of it, here are more pictures from before the move.  Here is Hidey eating but not quite leaving the kittens.  Next is the 'bully' cat with the big paw.  I think the reason I think he's a bully is because when he bats at the other cats his paw is so big.  Finally, the picture I just call "nose".  I think I'm in love with all of them!

That little paw! That little nose!! Cute!!!
I'm sorry, it's just so cute !! I go crazy for newborn kitties!!

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hidey is acting odd.  When I went in to check on everybody this evening (we are gone all day now), she was right by the door and tried to come out.  She hasn't done that before.  Then she's licking her butt a lot.  And doing what we call the "butt dance" on the carpet.  She's done that a few times that I've seen, but the door thing was strange.  She also was breathing hard and even had a few pants.  I felt all her nipples, and none feel hot.  What can I check for her?  Her eyes were big, too.  The only thing that changed is I ran the air conditioner for an hour.  Kittens are 12 days old and just opening their eyes.  Could she be in heat already?  Freaked out about the air conditioner?  Sick in some way?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be any number of things. It sounds like something spooked her. Can you sit with her for awhile and see if she calms down?

Hopefully she'll be okay.

Her rear end is still healing. What's the "butt dance"?

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I read  "butt dance" my first thought was "she's in heat".  How is she now?

Last edited:

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"Butt dance" is what we call it when they wipe their rear ends on the carpet.  Sort of a sit, then scooting the butt along.  We've always called it that.  We had a 21 pound cat years ago that couldn't clean himself, so that's what he did.  It was yucky!  Short side note on that - I inherited him at 21 pounds, took him to get cleaned up and put him on a diet.  After being groomed that first time he very rarely did the butt dance.

We tried sitting with Hidey but it was not at all calming.  I turned the air off (ugh) and when my husband checked on her again she was back to normal.  This morning she was fine, too.  But we were hot and sweaty!  Dunno if it was the fan or not.  Probably was, since she's used to being outside.  I think that humans don't calm her down very well, either, because she's a bit afraid of us.  Is there anything else I can do (short of sweltering) to help her stay calm so I can turn the air on again - and the heat in the winter? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You run your air while you are home to let her know it's okay, and she will get used to it over a couple of days. You don't swelter or freeze because a cat doesn't recognize the noises. She needs to get used to it!

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, this is what I did.  I want mama cat happy, but I was (am) roasting.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are doing so well :).

Are you in love with their cuteness? [emoji]128149[/emoji]