Stray had her babies and I'm lost

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
not the closet - it's full of stuff.  Like many homes, our guest room doubles as a "dump it all in here" room.  

And for the joy of it, here are more pictures from before the move.  Here is Hidey eating but not quite leaving the kittens.  Next is the 'bully' cat with the big paw.  I think the reason I think he's a bully is because when he bats at the other cats his paw is so big.  Finally, the picture I just call "nose".  I think I'm in love with all of them!

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm falling in love with all of them, but especially Hidey (mama).  I hope it isn't a problem that I keep putting pictures up.  I can stop (I think).  I just want to post proof that she is settling in to the guest room nicely.  She seems much more relaxed in that space.  I was so worried that moving would be traumatic, but she actually seems happier.  I went and watched them for a while - I was going to give her some more wet food, but she was nursing.  When I left, five of the six were latched on, and the other (whom I think had been latched on earlier) was curled up near her tail, sleeping.  I will go in and give her more wet food (I bought Fancy Feast, she doesn't seem to care what kind!) in an hour or so.

Quick question - we will be gone all day tomorrow. Other than extra food and water, is there anything I should do before we leave?  We'll be doing the litter tonight.

Here she is.  Such a good mama!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can never post too many pictures, I can see why you're falling for the family.

Sounds like you have the basics covered for tomorrow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad she likes the privacy of the guest room. I figured she would.

As long as you give her wet food before you leave, and leave dry food, water, and a clean litter box, she'll be fine for the day :).

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you all are here.  I wouldn't have had the courage to move her without the advice and approval from this site, and she really does seem happier.  Of course, when the kittens get more mobile, the guest room will be a terrible spot, but that isn't today.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A few weeks yet. But they will be too little for the run of the house, so you need to either kitten-proof the guest room or consider another option when the time comes :).

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So that I can mentally gear up for it, how does one go about 'kitten proofing'?  Is it worse than baby-proofing?  My guess is yes, because there are six of them, and I only had one baby at a time.  Plus, claws.

Also, when should I change the litter from clumping to non-clumping?

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh crap.  That doesn't sound good.  Off to google.....

Oh. My. 

There is a reason I always got adult cats.  And didn't really like kittens.  Oh boy.  The next few weeks are going to be quite a ride.  I'm going to go stare at them again (and clean litter and give wet food) and tell myself it's worth it.  Oh boy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's not difficult at all to kitten proof. It's very similar to baby-proofing. You put away breakables, move anything they can get stuck in or under or knock over onto themselves. If you have something you don't want scratched you move that or cover it.

The kittens need one safe room when they begin exploring. And they are really cute and fun!

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
uh huh.  Cute and fun.  Easy.  Right. (she says skeptically).  I guess we'll see.

Questions: - Hidey just devoured three cans of wet food (3oz each).  I think she'd have eaten more if I gave it to her, but I didn't want to upset her tummy.  I also went to do litter and there was nothing there.  We cleaned it this morning, but that was 12 hours ago.  Either she went outside the box or she didn't go.  How much should I worry?  And should I give her more food?

Also, one of our older cats, Esther, just peed all over my backpack today.  It's possible that this is in reaction to the new addition(s), although I've kept them apart. They have never met except for outside well before Hidey gave birth. Esther, this particular female, has been a problem lately, and this isn't the first time she's peed.  However, this is the first time one of the cats has peed on my backpack in this particular spot.  We've had problems with the cats peeing for years (ripped out two carpets, trashed two couches, etc), but we have *mostly* managed to control it.  I say mostly, because after a fair bit of adjustment on our part, there is less for the cats to pee on and wreck.  I've been putting my backpack (same one) in this particular spot for years without a problem, until today.  Other than kick all the cats outside, does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm concerned that Hidey and the kittens will think it's OK to pee in the house.  

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's that hungry, she may be 'empty'. 

some posters have built cardboard playpens for the exploring kittens and put toys and small climbing things inside.

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The dry food is never put away, and she has water.  So is she 'empty' by choice?  And should I give her another can?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure.  It could upset her tummy so maybe wait a little bit then offer her some more.  It could also be the food was so good she couldn't help herself.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think Esther is well aware there that there is another cat in the house who is getting special treatment. The inappropriate peeing is to let you know she's not happy about it.

Perhaps the other cats would benefit from a little special treatment too. Perhaps their own cans of food and some attention.

You'll need to move your backpack and clean the area with an enzyme cleaner.

Just because Esther pees around the house does not mean Hidey or the kittens will. And they are not going to be all around the house anytime soon anyway.

Felliway diffusers emit calming pheromones and work to chill out anxious cats. Esther may benefit. They are not cheap but they work.

I'd give Hidey one more can tonight. She's feeding six babies and hasn't had proper wet food for a few days.

She'll use the litter pan tonight.

Last edited:

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave her two more cans (3oz each) and she didn't finish the second one, but she did purr for me.  I have very little money, but I will look at a Feliway thing.  We've had problems with peeing for years.  With many cats.  And all cats had the all clear from the vet.  So incredibly frustrating.  But this is about kittens, not pee issues (except that I expect them to develop).  So, if Hidey doesn't use the litter box overnight, after all that food, I'll be very surprised.

She must have been someone's cat, because as soon as I popped the first can tonight, she came running.  Why do people DO this?  Why drop your cat off when you don't know if she will survive?  Especially such a sweetie like Hidey seems to be?  Yes, that is mainly a rhetorical question.  Don't answer.

I will give Hidey 3-4 cans of wet food in the morning (9-12 oz all together), go work, and get KMR and larger cans of cat food on the way home.  Then give her lots more.

One thing - her sides are still thick like when she was quite pregnant, and solid.  Not floppy.  Is this normal?  After I gave birth I was still thick, but definitely floppy.  But I'm not a cat.  Right, I'm babbling again, so goodnight all.  

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol.  Right!  OK, I'll stop googling 'interrupted labor' and go to bed.  Thanks for the reality check!