Stray giving birth. Have no clue what to do. I think labor paused.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PrestonDiggs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I woke up a kitten with severe damage to her belly. I'm really panicking right now and have no idea what to do because I can't think straight. Everything is pretty much shut down here because of the virus and I myself am at high risk and I have nothing to even carry them in.

Here are pictures. It's like her guts are spewing out? I have no idea what happened? Did the mother try to eat her? Their eyes just opened and I was so happy. But now the injured one is very lethargic. What can put on here to help?

20200315_081701.jpg
20200315_081707.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! Can you wrap a bandage around that for now? Is the kitten nursing? Put honey on her gums or honey water drops in her mouth for energy.

It looks like that will need stitched up and probably antibiotics. She may need a pain med. You need to begin calling around to find a vet or shelter that can help you. The kitten definitely needs immediate medical care.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Everything is pretty much shut down here because of the virus and I myself am at high risk and I have nothing to even carry them in.
What's happening now?

The kitten is small enough that you could carry it in just about anything, a big long bowl or loaf pan.

Call the vet numbers if you haven't already, I'm guessing that they've left emergency contact numbers on their office phone greetings.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hang in there! I'm hoping that you found some help for the kitten, hard to do in the moment but try to keep calm, best thing for you and your cats

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that the same kitten that the mother was taking to the litter box?

The mother might think that there is something wrong with the kitten or she might think that she isn't able to take care of two.
Wild or feral animals have an instinct about whether they can feed and take care of their offspring and, sometimes, will cull their litters in order to lower the numbers to a level where they feel like they can manage.

In your case, the kittens are ultimately being cared for by you so food, energy and resources are coming from you but the mother doesn't understand that. She's running on instinct.

I think you really need to get that kitten to the vet emergency hospital, post haste!

If it is the mother that is attacking and rejecting the kitten, you need to separate that kitten from her until it is nursed back to health. If the mother still rejects it, you'll probably need to hand raise the kitten or, at the very least, be very watchful until you are sure that the mother won't try to reject the kitten again.

If you keep the mother fed and supplement her feedings with kitten formula, maybe she'll realize that she doesn't have to be worried about feeding them herself and, eventually, settle down to being a mommy to her babies.

This is the only likely scenario that I can think of that would have caused such a gash to the kittens stomach like that.
The other kitten couldn't have done it. If it was some kind of accident where the kitten got cut by a foreign object, you would have seen evidence. (i.e. You would have seen a sharp object lying around.) It couldn't be another animal, could it? You don't have dogs or other pets, do you? I assume that you are keeping the kittens indoors where other animals don't have access.

I can't think of anything else. :dunno:

My prayers are with you and your kitten! :angel: